• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

January 2022 Transfer Thread

Steve Bull didn't score 306 goals for Wolves chaps, he scored 250.
You can use whatever figures you like to defend Matt Doherty, if Matt Doherty could defend then I wouldn't be having a go at him x

He was wank on the whole, I cannot stress this enough. Part of us getting relegated to League One (we got WORSE after he came into the team FFS), couldn't get into our L1 team for the most part, appalling in the Championship for three years to the point we a) had to play George Saville at LWB b) we had to sign Jeremy Helan to hold his hand. All of that is for longer than "he was good under Nuno", which has its own caveats.

I don't think you'd take him back for free and nor would anyone else.

Remember when Kazenga LuaLua tore Doherty to shreds on the last day of 2012/2013?

I do.

Remember when Craig Noone did him every single time?

As a full back he is genuinely up there with the worst I have ever seen.

You can use whatever figures you like to defend Matt Doherty, if Matt Doherty could defend then I wouldn't be having a go at him x

He was wank on the whole, I cannot stress this enough. Part of us getting relegated to League One (we got WORSE after he came into the team FFS), couldn't get into our L1 team for the most part, appalling in the Championship for three years to the point we a) had to play George Saville at LWB b) we had to sign Jeremy Helan to hold his hand. All of that is for longer than "he was good under Nuno", which has its own caveats.

That's all true, and so is the "he was good under Nuno" narrative.

The irony of him being good under Nuno in the most difficult division.

Agree to disagree on this one it seems. But to play a fairly large part (as he was first choice RWB) in two consecutive 7th place finishes in the most difficult league in the world then he can’t have been that bad, even if that was just for the two seasons.

Again, not advocating his return and would be pretty baffled by the signing.

Harsh on Benno to compare him to Doc, IMO.
Is it? When we signed Bennett (on a free wasn’t it after Norwich went down?) I’d never of thought he was good enough to contribute to two consecutive 7th place finishes. Had his limitations, played in a system that hid them and played to his strengths and he was a different player then I remember ever seeing.

Pretty much the same as doc being doc untill nuno came in and he played in that system?

The irony of him being good under Nuno in the most difficult division.

Agree to disagree on this one it seems. But to play a fairly large part (as he was first choice RWB) in two consecutive 7th place finishes in the most difficult league in the world then he can’t have been that bad, even if that was just for the two seasons.

Again, not advocating his return and would be pretty baffled by the signing.
He was good for those two seasons and I'll always like him for that winner against City.

He was pap for the rest of his time here and we did well to get the money we did for him.

I reckon if he played instead of Trincao he’d be more effective. 0 goals and 0 assists shouldn’t be too much to beat

Of course he can.

Good teams have shite players all the time. Chelsea won the league with Victor Moses and Marcos Alonso at wingback, they are both tragic.

He was good for those two seasons and I'll always like him for that winner against City.

He was pap for the rest of his time here and we did well to get the money we did for him.

And I don’t disagree with that.

Had two reasonable seasons in a 7th placed team, went to a top 6 team, and the average/poor player he was bought in to replace ended up playing most of the season.
Don't want him anywhere near here again whatever stats you decide to throw about to prove your point

Of course he can.

Good teams have shite players all the time. Chelsea won the league with Victor Moses and Marcos Alonso at wingback, they are both tragic.

But both of those players were considered to be very good in that system? Especially Moses if I remember correctly?

Chelsea didn’t win the league playing with effectively 9 men every week

Had two reasonable seasons in a 7th placed team, went to a top 6 team, and the average/poor player he was bought in to replace ended up playing most of the season.
Don't want him anywhere near here again whatever stats you decide to throw about to prove your point
In a totally different system to the one we play, which I think we have all, or majority agreed was a pretty unique way of a right wing back at the time

Djimmi Traore is a champions league winner if you want shit player in a good team examples.

Djimmi Traore is a champions league winner if you want shit player in a good team examples.
Yeah, the 2005 Liverpool team are a strange one aren’t they!

But again I’m not saying doc was a good player. I’m saying he was absolutely fine in that system we played at the time and doesn’t warrant the amount of flack (especially for the 2 years in the prem IMO)

Remember when Craig Noone did him every single time?

As a full back he is genuinely up there with the worst I have ever seen.
"Doc! He's going to cut onto his left! Doc, don't show him on his left! DOC! Ahh fuck, Noone has scored" - me, everytime Docherty faced Noone.

Last edited:

It's not defending him, it's addressing your totally ridiculous constant rant that his goals in Europe and in the FA Cup (1 in the Semi final no less) don't count for anything.

Therefore the same must apply to everyone, such as Bully, when he scored his 300th against Bradford, i'm sure you weren't just sat on your arse saying, "no, no that is just his 244th (?) goal for Wolves."

Or maybe you shake your head at the "he scored over 50 goals in a season, two seasons running" record too.

It's just bollocks, and you should stop it because it really, really irritates me! :geek:

Back