• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

January 2022 Transfer Thread

I genuinely don't know where you'd play him and I wouldn't want him back.
Tongue firmly in cheek.

If we sign Doc again this forum might implode.

I wouldn't want him back on a free. He's 30 this month, hasn't had a good game since he left us, can't do what we ask our wing backs to do under Lage, can't defend, on stupid money and I don't want to see his stupid beardy face again.

Plus we already have two RWBs, with Jonny to come back and Bolla (already a full international) out on loan.
I like the look of Bolla too, looks a real prospect.

I wouldn't want him back on a free. He's 30 this month, hasn't had a good game since he left us, can't do what we ask our wing backs to do under Lage, can't defend, on stupid money and I don't want to see his stupid beardy face again.

Plus we already have two RWBs, with Jonny to come back and Bolla (already a full international) out on loan.
And Matheson behind them too. We really don't need any more RWBs.

Resigning Doherty is more likely to see me not renewing my ST than another price hike.

Some things should never be joked about. The prospect of watching Doherty jog back from the opponent’s box is pretty high in that list.
Sure il get slated here. But was he really that bad for us? Contributed to 2 7th place finishes, scored a couple as well.

Aware he’s limited and if we are trying to play this more expansive game then he doesn’t fit (I mean people are questioning semedo when he is far better on the ball), but I still don’t understand where all the apparent hatred for him comes from?

Was a decent servant to the club IMO. Granted, in no way am I advocating his return

He was fucking awful right up until Nuno turned up. As in one of the worst players I have ever seen at professional level with an attitude and waistline to match. This went on for years, literally years and no-one at the club seemed to notice.

Some people forget, I don't.

He then got given the cushiest of cushy gigs and produced an output that was fair rather than exceptional. Never ever scored more than 4 league goals a season for us, he was hardly prolific, and right up until the day he left couldn't cross a road let alone a ball.

I was delighted when he left, even more so as I'd resigned myself to him being here forever.

No hatred from me (it's only football ffs), he was a limited footballer, Nuno got the absolute best out of him in a very specific position, he had started to slide back to where he was previous to Nuno at the end imo and we got a good price. It would be madness to take him back even as cover when we have Semedo, Hoever and Jonny to come back, plus the youngsters

I’ll start by saying I don’t want us to resign Matt Doherty.

However, I do think people are going OTT with our depth at RWB. We have Semedo. I suspect Bruno may be earmarking Hoever for a loan, or potentially even the RCB position rather than a full back role.

Jonny is a LWB. Matheson is miles away from troubling our starting 11 (he wasn’t even getting starts in the under 23’s before he went out on loan, where he’s hardly pulled up trees). The club appear happy with Bolla’s development on loan too so you can’t use him in the argument for this season or likely next either.

IF the right player for the right price came along, I could quite easily see us bringing in another RWB to compete/cover Semedo. But yeah, Matt Doherty is not the right man for the job, and there are far more pressing requirements in the squad.

However, I do think people are going OTT with our depth at RWB. We have Semedo. I suspect Bruno may be earmarking Hoever for a loan, or potentially even the RCB position rather than a full back role.

Jonny is a LWB. Matheson is miles away from troubling our starting 11 (he wasn’t even getting starts in the under 23’s before he went out on loan, where he’s hardly pulled up trees). The club appear happy with Bolla’s development on loan too so you can’t use him in the argument for this season or likely next either.

IF the right player for the right price came along, I could quite easily see us bringing in another RWB to compete/cover Semedo. But yeah, Matt Doherty is not the right man for the job, and there are far more pressing requirements in the squad.
That's some mental gymnastics you've gone through there Jinky. I admire your thinking no matter how batshit it looks to me.

Last edited:
Hoever literally started at RWB one game ago, we aren't loaning him or moving him.

Jonny has played RWB for us and has played RB for Spain, he is a legitimate option there especially as we have Ait-Nouri on the other side who many of us believe will become a top end player.

Appreciate there's some projection that he can play on the right, but in theory in a 352 I'd have Jonny and RAN over Jonny and Semedo as the first choice wing backs

We have far more pressing positions that need strengthening than RB/RWB, I very much doubt Hoever is going out on loan, Jonny is as good on the right as he is on the left (in the few times I've seen him do it). I'd rather shoehorn someone (anyone) in there than bring back Doherty at this stage and as I said earlier I'm no hater.

Sure il get slated here. But was he really that bad for us? Contributed to 2 7th place finishes, scored a couple as well.

Aware he’s limited and if we are trying to play this more expansive game then he doesn’t fit (I mean people are questioning semedo when he is far better on the ball), but I still don’t understand where all the apparent hatred for him comes from?

Was a decent servant to the club IMO. Granted, in no way am I advocating his return
I'm happy to accept that MD fitted into Nuno's team well but he is nearly 30 and if he couldn't get past a jog to get back when he was 27 he sure as hell won't now. His four goals a season were great but have to be weighed against how many he had a major role in us conceding. Obviously that will only ever be subjective but I suspect it was at least four. With a goalkeeper who couldn't kick well MD played an important role as he was good in the air but we don't really need that outlet now so I'm struggling to see how bringing him back can be anything but a bad idea.

We have far more pressing positions that need strengthening than RB/RWB, I very much doubt Hoever is going out on loan, Jonny is as good on the right as he is on the left (in the few times I've seen him do it). I'd rather shoehorn someone (anyone) in there than bring back Doherty at this stage and as I said earlier I'm no hater.
I literally said in the last sentence we have more pressing issues. But if the right player falls in our lap, we won’t turn it down (well, we will because Jeff Shi is rubbish) regardless of position.

I’ll reiterate again that Matt Doherty is not the right player, though.

I literally said in the last sentence we have more pressing issues. But if the right player falls in our lap, we won’t turn it down (well, we will because Jeff Shi is rubbish) regardless of position.

I’ll reiterate again that Matt Doherty is not the right player, though.
The main part of your post that I was disagreeing with was 'people are going ott with our depth of options at RWB' don't think anyone was going ott, it's one of the positions we have most depth.

Not a c
He was fucking awful right up until Nuno turned up. As in one of the worst players I have ever seen at professional level with an attitude and waistline to match. This went on for years, literally years and no-one at the club seemed to notice.

Some people forget, I don't.

He then got given the cushiest of cushy gigs and produced an output that was fair rather than exceptional. Never ever scored more than 4 league goals a season for us, he was hardly prolific, and right up until the day he left couldn't cross a road let alone a ball.

I was delighted when he left, even more so as I'd resigned myself to him being here forever.
Not a case of forgetting, but he worked in the system nuno played, and the goal return was better than fair IMO.

Some players suit a manager/system and doc definitely did for nuno.

Similarly to Ryan Bennett. Served a purpose, was a good player for the system we played and the position the club was in.

In no way do I want him back (nor Bennett, for example), but to say he was only ‘fair’ for us in the prem, especially first two seasons is unfair IMO

Appreciate there's some projection that he can play on the right, but in theory in a 352 I'd have Jonny and RAN over Jonny and Semedo as the first choice wing backs
A lot will depend on how Jonny returns. Let’s hope 2 big injuries haven’t fucked him

Harsh on Benno to compare him to Doc, IMO.

Back