• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

January 2017 Transfer Thread

Seriously bloody hope were better than then ha. Just found it interesting that we were in about the same spot back then. Interesting about Jez n Saunders

Difference really is we weren't competing in games at all by that point. The players had given up on Stale and we had so many players who were just broken in different ways (Ward and Henry recovered to an extent elsewhere, the likes of Doyle, Foley, SEB and O'Hara never did). We're in a rubbish position now and there's a lot of stuff that Zenga and Edwards (R) got wrong in October and November but some of it is fine margins, eg should have beaten Villa, could have nicked a point against Norwich/Leeds even if we didn't really deserve it, could have got something from the Derby game if the ref hadn't made all the late key calls in their favour when we definitely didn't deserve it. It's not a question of application for the most part, and it's certainly not a lack of talent outwith the back four (where we definitely need significant freshening up).

This is the problem at this moment in time though. We can see what's been wrong player-wise over a protracted period, but have no say in any improvements, nor increasing the knowledge base of the new coaching team.

We are all hoping that Lambert can see the problems quickly and more importantly, does something about it that will be beneficial to the team.

Additionally, I fear that the selection of players will be left in the hands of people who have fucked it up before.

Well we did, didn't we.

With someone shit, but it was a replacement of sorts!

Would argue that both Graham & Zyro had the potential to fill that postion before they both had their legs removed for a time & Cavaleiro does if someone would play him in consecutive matches & allow him to grow into the team properly

Sako could be brilliant for us & I was happy to see him play, but he was not irreplaceable

The point is RVLP was bought specifically at that time because they thought Sako would go in the window. You may remember I reported that and got a right bollocking for doing so.

He also said Wolves would replace Sako whatever the cost and that didn't happen either.

To be fair an empty promise at worst (they could well have tried to replace Sako behind the scenes and we did have Jordan Graham, not Moxey's fault if Ken wouldn't play him) is a bit different to an outright lie, which that would be if the club hadn't offered Saunders players.

To be fair an empty promise at worst (they could well have tried to replace Sako behind the scenes and we did have Jordan Graham, not Moxey's fault if Ken wouldn't play him) is a bit different to an outright lie, which that would be if the club hadn't offered Saunders players.

Oh I've no doubt Saunders talks an enormous amount of shite, just a Moxey isn't exactly squeaky clean either. They're both awful characters to me. I'm glad they're both gone. Onwards and upwards they say.

I wouldn't put Jez on the same level as Saunders, at least the former hasn't gone on national radio making up stories about a dead bloke's alcoholism for a few cheap laughs.

Anyway Moxey clearly did not want Saunders to take over from Solbakken, but Morgan had gone rogue (which begs the question what we were paying Jez to do at the time, but still). So putting those stories into the public domain - whether they were true or not, and I wouldn't trust Saunders to come up with an accurate assessment of any squad in the world, so nothing surprises me - was in his (self-preserving) interest.

As I say we were willing to fund the signing of Marlon King:

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/2013/01/30/wolves-knocked-back-by-birmingham-for-marlon-king/

Gorkss was on stupid money, and we were turning down bids for SEB, Ward and Doyle, so whenever Saunders moans about the budget he was handed here, he's talking rot. Again. Like he claimed he had nothing to spend at Chesterfield, presumably SEB (sadly totally finished years ago) and Lee Novak were playing for bus money.

The players had given up on Stale and we had so many players who were just broken in different ways (Ward and Henry recovered to an extent elsewhere, the likes of Doyle, Foley, SEB and O'Hara never did).

I'd argue that SEB wasn't finished at that time - he nearly scored enough in dreadful performances to keep us up.

What did for him was that awful injury. Without that, things might have been very different.

Dear Jeff,

Any chance you can get some back room staff that know what they're doing, a manager with some bollocks who says what he actually means rather than complete and utter horseshit, a centre back, a transfer to anywhere else for Matt Doherty, Dave Edwards and Vonor Coady and a new Sporting Director as the one we have now is fucking shite.

Ta.

Dear Jeff,

Any chance you can get some back room staff that know what they're doing, a manager with some bollocks who says what he actually means rather than complete and utter horseshit, a centre back, a transfer to anywhere else for Matt Doherty, Dave Edwards and Vonor Coady and a new Sporting Director as the one we have now is fucking shite.

Ta.

Yes please.

I was just looking at the BBC website and of the 32 players listed in our squad I would honestly only be happy to see Cav, Costa, Saiss, Graham, Williamson & Dicko starting on a regular basis and there are a few caveats attached to most of those players. Will Graham, Dicko and Williamson be able to capture their past form after long lay offs, will the other 3 be consistent performers in the long term, they seem like good players from the dozen or so games they have played but remember Doumbia!

There are a few, Hause, Iorfa, Silvio, Bod, Price, Prince, Ronan, Enobakhare, Ikeme, Flatt who I would happily see stay as squad players but I honestly wouldn't mind if I never saw the other 16 again!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/wolverhampton-wanderers

I wonder who we can expect to be rocking up here in January as this seems to confirm that Lambert will be bombing the foreigners out.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/wolves-boss-paul-lambert-promised-9360958
If it is signings with experience in the mould of Alex Rae, Denis Irwin or even dare I say Paul Ince I would welcome them. Under Dave Jones those players were key to getting us up.

Fair enough if some of the "foreigners" aren't up to it but I don't see evidence that Saiss and Cav in particular are not, Saiss is the one that has me scratching my head the most especially now we are playing a 4-2-3-1 type formation.

I am dreading tomorrows team announcement, if neither full back is dropped and Saville stays in for the sake of keeping those nasty "foreigners" out I may turn the telly off.

Nothing in the quote suggests the foreign players leaving. The journo has added that on his/her own.
It may well have been added following Lambert's recent comments that "they have had enough chances" and that there are too many that "don't know the league"

I hope its just sensationalist journalism to get us all wound up (its working on me by the way)

Nothing in the quote suggests the foreign players leaving. The journo has added that on his/her own.

I didn't say it did. I said it confirms what Lambert's alluded to earlier in the week. I never said anything about the foreign players leaving either.

If it is signings with experience in the mould of Alex Rae, Denis Irwin or even dare I say Paul Ince I would welcome them. Under Dave Jones those players were key to getting us up.

Fair enough if some of the "foreigners" aren't up to it but I don't see evidence that Saiss and Cav in particular are not, Saiss is the one that has me scratching my head the most especially now we are playing a 4-2-3-1 type formation.

I am dreading tomorrows team announcement, if neither full back is dropped and Saville stays in for the sake of keeping those nasty "foreigners" out I may turn the telly off.
All the players you have named came to get the club promoted not stay up. What we are offering at least in the short term is a much less attractive proposition. John Terry now would be of a similar standing to Ince, Irwin then. Let's say in January he decides he wants a 6 month hurrah before retiring, would he choose us or say Brighton?

Championship experience is something of a red herring anyway. Coady, Edwards, Batth, Stearman, Henry etc etc all have plenty of it, it doesn't make them any bloody good. I hope I'm proven wrong, but those such as Harry Maguire, James Collins, David Nugent, Jordan Rhodes etc who although not the greatest could be available and are better than what we have will have better offers from higher up the league and we'll end up with someone with plenty of Championship experience like Neil Danns.

Suspect Gladon, John & Tex will probably be gone in January. Big question marks over whether Lambert sees Prince as a useful member of his squad - but as we own him outright, I suspect he'll be harder to shift than the others.

We already know CBJ will be gone in January, so I think we all need to prepare ourselves for a Matt Doherty weekly masterclass until a proper left back is signed. Fully expect that position to be high on Lambert's priority list.

Stearman has the "Championship experience" everyone apparantely craves, but he's shite. So will we send him back to Fulham in January and sign a proper improvement at the back?, or keep hold of him because of his "experience"? (even though we all know he's not good enough).

If Cav, Saiss or Costa are allowed to leave in January, I'll be fuming. I'll be equally fuming if come January, the three of them aren't first team regulars.

If Doherty is going to be in the team every week, then we will be relegated.

Back