• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

January 2017 Transfer Thread

Cav is the biggest mystery of them all though. FFS, how can we not be playing someone of his quality week in, week out? George Saville at LW when you've got him on the bench. Absolute madness.

When you put it like that...

George Saville over Ivan Cavaleiro FFS.

Well, we're not going to be promoted this season. Will they want to spend (atleast) another year in the Championship?

Not really their choice, and I imagine that if they couldn't move to a better club before this season then they haven't shown enough to change that.

And again, Fosun's wages are likely higher than the immediate competition can offer.

I think people are putting too much emphasis on one game where it was important to stop leaking cheap, early goals.

Let's give the new manager a chance to settle in and develop his own style/mentality. He's only taken charge of one game. And it's going to take a lot longer than that for him to sort things out.

I think people are putting too much emphasis on one game where it was important to stop leaking cheap, early goals.

Let's give the new manager a chance to settle in and develop his own style/mentality. He's only taken charge of one game. And it's going to take a lot longer than that for him to sort things out.

I don't think it's down to the manager, I think it's Thelwell buying crap and ousting players he did not find or was not involved in getting them into the club.

I'm spending a lot of time sad on this thread.

I think it's important to stress this isn't quite a Mick McCarthy July/August 2006 situation. Lambert isn't taking over a squad of total no-hopers* where the minimum expectations need to be set at an ultra-low level. The way we played at Newcastle and Villa - which really isn't all that long ago - suggests that the players very much are there to challenge anything this division has to offer. Surprise surprise, it was the likes of Saiss and Costa who excelled in those games. All he needs to do is find a way to get those players on the pitch on a regular basis, in a coherent system, and drill us defensively far better than Zenga managed - even Ken did the latter to an extent with basically the same personnel at the back.

*If* however, he decides that "British is Best" and we continue to pick absolute drivel between now and January then we will end up in a prolonged relegation fight, because we simply won't pick up enough points to do anything else. You can't keep sending out midfields that have no creativity or discipline at all, or left hand sides that comprise of a shite right back and a shite central midfielder. For now I'll just have to trust that he won't do that seeing as it would defy all logic.

*Murray; Clyde, Breen (Edwards HT), Craddock, Naylor; Ricketts (Gobern 82), Henry, O'Connor, Clapham; Cort, Bothroyd (Davies 65). Scenes.

Agree DW. I find myself in the 'cautiously optimistic' camp re: Lambert's appointment - it would make absolutely no sense to keep the faith with the 'tried and trusted' squad members from last year who clearly aren't good enough.

Basically, I don't think Lambert will do. But I certainly don't expect us to turn a corner on Saturday and start lighting up the division with goals a plenty either, some degree of crossover is to be expected.

The positive of course is that we've got money to spend and owners who don't fuck around.

Lambert has still not had that much time to work out what is & what is not possible with this squad - indications that he wants us to take more risks in attack

To do that he will need to pick players who are capable of doing it (Saville & Coady need not apply)

Looks like there will be a bigger than usual crowd for Saturday & hopefully he is intending to put out a more entertaining formation

I think Thelwell must have slept with Johnny's significant other.

I think Thelwell must have slept with Johnny's significant other.

I've been consistent on Thelwell, I think he's a charlatan robbing a living. I don't hate him, I think he's crap and not welcome at Wolves in much the same way Saunders is/ was, there is a difference.

I've been consistent on Thelwell, I think he's a charlatan robbing a living. I don't hate him, I think he's crap and not welcome at Wolves in much the same way Saunders is/ was, there is a difference.
I'd agree with that. Adding on to it, I think we let the wrong one go, if we were promoting, I'd have tried to have kept Webber instead of Thelwell. I think he's done quite well at Huddersfield since going there hasn't he?

Tongue firmly in cheek, mate. :icon_wink:

*Murray; Clyde, Breen (Edwards HT), Craddock, Naylor; Ricketts (Gobern 82), Henry, O'Connor, Clapham; Cort, Bothroyd (Davies 65). Scenes.[/COLOR]

If they were available and the same age as then, I'd take the keeper, all the back four except Clyde and the defensive sub and play them over our back 4 and keeper on Saturday

If they were available and the same age as then, I'd take the keeper, all the back four except Clyde and the defensive sub and play them over our back 4 and keeper on Saturday

I'd take Karl Henry over Coady.

Mark Clyde was actually pretty decent. I'd take the lot.

It wasn't really a pop at Clyde, but I'd play Iorfa with license to have a go ahead of him

*Murray; Clyde, Breen (Edwards HT), Craddock, Naylor; Ricketts (Gobern 82), Henry, O'Connor, Clapham; Cort, Bothroyd (Davies 65). Scenes.[/COLOR]

That's not that bad. Bothroyd has an England cap and Cort was a good striker. Back 5 solid as a rock. Midfield uninspiring but other than O'Connor they weren't bad players...

Cort was gone by then, he scored two goals for us between October 2005 and when his contract ran out in the summer of 2007, and only scored one goal in the two years after that at Leicester/Norwich (at Molineux for the latter, from 25+ yards!). This was 2006 Craddock so he was terrible then. Bothroyd was a lot better than our fans gave him credit for (although he did have his share of can't be arsed displays), in this game though he was about as fit as Jamie O'Hara. They are possibly the worst pair of starting "wingers" we've sent out in the last 25 years.

Other than that though ;)

Back