• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

January 2017 Transfer Thread

It wouldn't surprise me if Mason was off in January. He was bought to be a first teamer, but hasn't been able to get a regular place. He has been a disappointment, in my view.

go and offer Stevie G a players Coach role, let him sit in front of the back 4 and pick passes

Can you imagine listening to Stevie G and Paul Lambert in training? = dictionary definition of verbal mogadon!

It wouldn't surprise me if Mason was off in January. He was bought to be a first teamer, but hasn't been able to get a regular place. He has been a disappointment, in my view.
He misses too many chances for me. At least he did when he had a run in the side last season.

I like Mason and wouldn't mind him staying, he is a tidy footballer but is neither clinical enough or create enough to play regularly. I guess it depends whether he is happy being a bit part player and what Lamberts opinion is.

I like Mason and wouldn't mind him staying, he is a tidy footballer but is neither clinical enough or create enough to play regularly. I guess it depends whether he is happy being a bit part player and what Lamberts opinion is.

I expect our board will want an end to Wolves looking also rans in this Division and will sanction massive upgrades on the likes of Mason.

Clearly Lambert has an issue with the size of the squad. He's said it numerous times now.

We have a fistful of absolutely bang average footballers that will require shifting on if we have any aspirations of gaining promotion in the next year or two.

Conor Coady
George Saville
Jed Wallace
Joe Mason
Matt Doherty
Paul Gladon

None of the above should be getting near our starting 11. I would be looking to shift them on, if we can find any takers.

We've then got a glut of players on the long term injury table. Lee Evans, Mike Williamson, Jordan Graham & Michal Zyro. These players can do a job for us, and are the required standard for a promotion chasing side. But it's anyone's guess when they're back.

I would look at sending a couple of our loan players back. Ola John can go - and clearly Stears isn't required for anything other then back up. So I would let them both go and would look to sign a central defender who is an improvement on what we currently have.

It's difficult to comment on the likes of Dave Edwards, Carl Ikeme & Danny Batth, because whilst a large chunk of fans don't think they're good enough - and their positions are constantly under the spotlight in threads like this - it seems the club think differently and those three are here for the long haul. So it seems pointless debating the positives/negatives of the three of them.

I've a feeling come January, we will be looking to cut the numbers substantially. If we can lose 6-7 players and bring in a solid 3 marked improvements, that would represent a very good window. Easier said then done, though.

I agree with your sentiments Jinks. Although I think we will both be disappointed when Cav and Saiss are sold/ loaned for a fee, Tex's loan is terminated and the list of mediocre crap you have are all still kept.

Thelwell has won the power game, it's now his job to lose (along with all the foreigners).

Thelwell hasn't won. I think he will be gone in the summer personally.

Thelwell hasn't won. I think he will be gone in the summer personally.

I think he has Paddy, all the rhetoric about foreign players not adjusting and the need to go British is a clear dig at Mendes and is almost like Thelwell is proving a point with the press. The 48 man squad line Lambert came out with is also utter rubbish and coincidentally the same crap Saunders came out with when he arrived too.

I agree Thelwell will be gone in the summer but it will take a while to repair the damage he is doing to the first team.

I have heard plenty of people going on about the foreign contingent. Not least Terry Butcher in the comms of the Derby game on the radio. All of them ignored the fact that it was the home grown shite that was letting us down that day. Hopefully Fosun remove Thelwell soon as well. Start with a proper and complete clear out.

The squad is SLIGHTLY too large. And that is being generous. It was threadbare in July.

Hopefully they bin off all the Jackett and before rubbish and we build from what is left. Fuck British. It is WINNING that might get me to consider parting with my cash for a ticket. Nothing so far has made me feel the slightest doubt about not going any more.

It is sad that Wolves are at this stage Paddy and I can only agree with you.

There is too much shite in and around the first team, there can be no doubt about that.

Unfortunately, I struggle to see many takers for the rancid technically bereft crap we've accumulated.

Wallace, Saville, John, Stearman and Gladon need to go. They are just plainly not good enough, or completely unneeded.

I'd happily bin off Coady too, but he'll stay around, absolutely stinking the midfield out with his inability to do anything you'd want from a central midfidler. Happy days. I'd probably chuck Doc in the bin with him too.

I'll give Edwards a pass for now.

I'm not convinced Price and Evans have a career at the higher echelons of this league in them, but they've shown flashes and are at least willing to use the ball. For now, I'd keep hold of them.

How Saiss is stuck on the bench behind Coady I will never know. Similarly, Oniangue seems to have had some very harsh criticism despite being parked out wide where he's never played before and from what I've seen, he appears to be a technically proficient footballer and has bagged a couple of goals.

Cav is the biggest mystery of them all though. FFS, how can we not be playing someone of his quality week in, week out? George Saville at LW when you've got him on the bench. Absolute madness.

You put the crap up for sale and who realistically is going to be interested? League One clubs probably. Who won't match what they're on here.

I'd be happy for all those I named in the OP to leave but as a second prize I'd settle for them being completely ostracised from first team duty. Sick of watching them. We have 42 points from 38 games since Afobe left, these players are the principal reason why. If we continue with them then we'll likely carry on with our bottom five form, because they're bottom five players. No excuse for them featuring so often in the current climate.

Can see Teixeira, Cavaleiro, Oniangue and Saiss not being here next season :(

It really does boggle the mind that the answer seems clear as day, and yet no one at the club has yet managed to give it even a slight go.

Dicko/Bod
Cav - Prince/Teixeira - Costa
Saiss - Coady/Edwards/Price/Evans
Silvio/Doherty - Hause - Batth/Iorfa - Iorfa/Silvio
Ikeme​

There are even multiple "right" answers here FFS! The defense isn't perfect no matter how you configure it but we all knew that. It's the fact we can't seem to put together the rest of the team in the way that makes sense that really is confusing.

Put your most talented players on the pitch and see how it goes. It's not that fucking complicated.

Tex maybe, but Cav, Prince, and Saiss are all contracted. I doubt Fosun will sell them so quickly (and their wages are likely quite high).

No reason why the new permanent signings would leave.

I don't think they'll be sidelined for long TBH and I expect Saiss and Cav to be amongst the very first names on the team sheet once Lambert has settled in and can start to put his mark on the side.

Tex maybe, but Cav, Prince, and Saiss are all contracted. I doubt Fosun will sell them so quickly (and their wages are likely quite high).

Well, we're not going to be promoted this season. Will they want to spend (atleast) another year in the Championship?

Back