• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

January 2017 Transfer Thread

Sakho's going to Albion apparently. No way he'd come here anyway.

In midfield, I'd like to see players such as Hourihane and Lansbury come in, both out of contract at the end of the season I think. Good forward thinking players WITH the ball, something we lack and the type of midfield players Lambert usually goes for. Really can't see Dave Edwards being his cup of tea. Prince I'm not sure he'll be a fan of and he's obviously struggled to adapt so far. Coady needs to improve on the ball but could make it. Price may get back in favour as he likes a holding player who keeps things simple so he'll keep him and Saiss I'd guess. Saville and Evans could also be binned you'd think.

I can't say I watch tons of forest games so I may be totally wrong, but from what I've seen I don't rate him. His dirty hair and headband piss me off too.

Lansbury is all about whether he is up for it. He's ran games against us in the past and in others has been a passenger.

Lansbury is all about whether he is up for it. He's ran games against us in the past and in others has been a passenger.

I think that's a fair assessment TT. On his day, all the ability in the world. He is bloody lazy though.

You'll have your Christmas tree up next.

I laughed a lot more at this than I should have.

OT, I think there's a bit too much panic at the mo. Generally we have a decent enough squad that lacks organisation and a plan. We have too many good player where we're not playing to their strengths (Cav, Bod, Tex, CBJ) and too many others being played out of position (Prince for example) with no coherence in key areas (defence). Added to that we have a few surplus players (John, Gladon, EEL, Henry) and I struggle to see where Saville, Coady and Wallace fit in. There's too much in the way of the U23's being able to come through.

Apart from the defence, where we are still light of any real quality, there are possibilities further forward though they have been given no concerted game plan to work to - Lambert has a few weeks to work on that before the window opens.

Though if a decent 20 goal a season forward came available I wouldn't refuse

A ball playing, experienced cenre half, and a midfield playmaker are certs for me.

I would still like to see us in for Emi Martinez again as no.1

Definitely need defense sorting, was reading today that Williamson could be back soon. He has been out a long time for a player of that age but would be great if we could get him playing again

I would still like to see us in for Emi Martinez again as no.1

Definitely need defense sorting, was reading today that Williamson could be back soon. He has been out a long time for a player of that age but would be great if we could get him playing again

The medics have said he should be available to start training just before Xmas, so it could be well into the new year before he starts playing, if nothing goes wrong.

Re the keeper discussions, this is a quote from Lambert in tonight's Express and Star:

Looking ahead to Saturday, goalkeeper Carl Ikeme remains a doubt with a side strain. Lambert added: "We'll see how he is. Mind you, Andy Lonergan is making saves in training that you think aren't possible! We've got two really good goalkeepers here. Carl's been excellent in his time here but he's carrying a knock at the minute."

Maybe we won't be getting a new keeper in January ...

Last edited:
Lonergan does pull off some worldie stops, has done his whole career. He's also made shocking errors, shown a complete inability to command his box and kicked like a four year old for his whole career.

Lambert's done the right thing bulling up his goalie before the Preston game, as Ikeme is still not fully fit.

January might see a change of heart.

Lambert's done the right thing bulling up his goalie before the Preston game, as Ikeme is still not fully fit.

January might see a change of heart.

Yeah, if he knows he has got to use him nothing wrong with bigging him up

Only six weeks or so away from getting going so may as well start a thread.

As it stands I think we need work right down the spine.

- A keeper, as Ikeme is still just about average for this level and Lonergan is no kind of option
- A centre half, as none of the current options are doing much to suggest they're the way forward
- A central midfielder, we have a lot of bodies in there who are of roughly the same standard but not many look really up to being part of a top six team
- A striker, Bod isn't scoring and Dicko is still making his way back, Mason is very average and Gladon is hopeless

I'd be looking to ship out Saville, Wallace, Doherty, Gladon and one of Coady/Price/Evans in January if we can. Either not good enough or in an area where we're overloaded. Ola John can disappear too if he likes, as can Stearman if we sign a centre half.

My number one target would be James Tarkowski. Can't get a game for Burnley but was outstanding for Brentford.

Who would you suggest as realistic targets for the centre of midfield and up front ?

Hourihane and Rhodes or Afobe ?

Back