• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

January 2017 Transfer Thread

Too many over-reacting for me. Steady player at this level, with the potential in a decent team to be a good one. We lack cover in wide areas anyway I feel, so as a right back or right midfielder with good delivery (which we also lack from deeper positions) he is a decent fit.

I am surprised we are forking out so much when we could have him for free in six months but then I guess we can afford that now and he gets the advantage of playing the extra months for us to bed in.

And that was my point a few days ago. I suggested we should bring in players now so they get accustomed to the club and their teammates, but I was shot down. Yet now people are advocating paying a lot of money for an average player we could get for nothing in the summer.

Bright and Ronan are our players though...and both have shown enough in limited opportunities to suggest they've got plenty about them. I'd rather they be playing than a Portuguese lad who's about to turn 23*, we put loads of money into the Academy every year, it has to bear fruit and demonstrably show that there's a proper gateway to first team football here.

*That is the most Brexit thing you will ever hear me say, I do apologise.

We should promote youth and give them opportunities (which I'm glad Lambert is doing). I don't really think we ever saw Tex at his best but then he does seem to be one who flatters to deceive - still, it's all academic now until he scores against us :wallbash:

And that was my point a few days ago. I suggested we should bring in players now so they get accustomed to the club and their teammates, but I was shot down. Yet now people are advocating paying a lot of money for an average player we could get for nothing in the summer.

Frank - we are Wolves fans.

Don't expect anything other than us to be fickle :icon_biggrin:

Bright and Ronan are our players though...and both have shown enough in limited opportunities to suggest they've got plenty about them. I'd rather they be playing than a Portuguese lad who's about to turn 23*, we put loads of money into the Academy every year, it has to bear fruit and demonstrably show that there's a proper gateway to first team football here.

*That is the most Brexit thing you will ever hear me say, I do apologise.
Guess he will replace Lansbury(which I liked in creativity)

Lansbury played deeper for Forest, he didn't often play as a genuine #10. Tex can't play in central midfield. Not in this country anyway.

I like the lad, bags of talent. We got him on a risk free loan, he helped us earn a few points. I don't think anyone seriously thinks there's a chance he'd be staying permanently (Lambo hasn't even put him on the bench since Cardiff) so cutting the loan short is fine by me.

As for Marshall and waiting until the summer....two things.

1) As pointed out, where's the guarantee we'd get him then, he might get a better offer. I'm sure that would go down well, manager wants a target, we hold off for months in an attempt at "penny pinching" and he goes elsewhere when we could have snapped him up for what is in the current climate, a fairly modest fee.

2) If he did become available on a free then we'd end up paying him more, his agent more, because those elements replace part of the transfer fee - the agent will know that we're saving money on that front so he'll have an extra cut and get his client a few extra grand a week too. We might have to bump those commitments further still because more teams would be interested in him on a free than there are now - especially in a climate of Financial Fair Play where you'd be getting a proven Championship player for a value of £0 on the books in terms of transfer outlay. So you're not saving £1.8m or whatever it is in the long run.

Is he my number one target, no, am I particularly advocating that we sign him at all (now or in five months), not really. I can see why Lambert wants him though, he's the manager, you have to back him in the market subject to affordability. If he signs players and they end up being rubbish then it's his own lookout.

Lansbury played deeper for Forest, he didn't often play as a genuine #10. Tex can't play in central midfield. Not in this country anyway.

I like the lad, bags of talent. We got him on a risk free loan, he helped us earn a few points. I don't think anyone seriously thinks there's a chance he'd be staying permanently (Lambo hasn't even put him on the bench since Cardiff) so cutting the loan short is fine by me.

As for Marshall and waiting until the summer....two things.

1) As pointed out, where's the guarantee we'd get him then, he might get a better offer. I'm sure that would go down well, manager wants a target, we hold off for months in an attempt at "penny pinching" and he goes elsewhere when we could have snapped him up for what is in the current climate, a fairly modest fee.

2) If he did become available on a free then we'd end up paying him more, his agent more, because those elements replace part of the transfer fee - the agent will know that we're saving money on that front so he'll have an extra cut and get his client a few extra grand a week too. We might have to bump those commitments further still because more teams would be interested in him on a free than there are now - especially in a climate of Financial Fair Play where you'd be getting a proven Championship player for a value of £0 on the books in terms of transfer outlay. So you're not saving £1.8m or whatever it is in the long run.

Is he my number one target, no, am I particularly advocating that we sign him at all (now or in five months), not really. I can see why Lambert wants him though, he's the manager, you have to back him in the market subject to affordability. If he signs players and they end up being rubbish then it's his own lookout.

Far too much commonsense for any Wolves fan (apart from those on here of course)

Marshall is not a good defender, he plays right full back in the same way Doherty plays left, he will get forward and offer more support to Costa than Coady does, but he's not particularly good defensively.

I'm with Johnny, he wants to come to us to play for Lambert, he can do that in the Summer for free, I don't know why we are spending the best part of £2m now.

I echo those sentiments. It just does not make sense.

I echo those sentiments. It just does not make sense.
Of course it makes sense. A player who played well for Lambert in a position he wants to improve. See Deutsch's post above for reasoned analysis of why we might be looking to conclude a deal now rather than in the summer.

He might not be a world beater but he'll be able to improve the starting XI and is good enough to help us sustain a promotion push.

YoungWolf echoes my sentiments with this one. A lot of unnecessary fuss on here over a straightforward, sensible acquisition though perhaps not a signing who will get the pulses racing.

I can't see how people think this is sensible when there are other areas to address first.

I don't agree with DW on his point about Marshall choosing another destination in the summer and if he did we haven't lost a world beater as many have put it. Add to this there will be plenty more players available in the summer so the market is easier to buy in as players have more competition.

And on my opinion Marshall does not improve our starting XI so I don't see the point in spending money on a reserve. Mind you it worked well for Joe Mason.......

I do agree we should let Lambert buy who he wants though as the easiest way for a manager to pass or fail is with his own squad.

Of course it makes sense. A player who played well for Lambert in a position he wants to improve. See Deutsch's post above for reasoned analysis of why we might be looking to conclude a deal now rather than in the summer.

He might not be a world beater but he'll be able to improve the starting XI and is good enough to help us sustain a promotion push.

YoungWolf echoes my sentiments with this one. A lot of unnecessary fuss on here over a straightforward, sensible acquisition though perhaps not a signing who will get the pulses racing.

How would signing Marshall improve our starting eleven?

How would signing Marshall improve our starting eleven?
Because he's a better right back than Doherty, Coady and a below par Iorfa (currently) and would therefore walk into the starting XI?

By playing him instead of Coady.

I am not convinced he is any better than we already have, but if he signs only time will tell.

Personally, I hoped that Thelwell/Lambert would have been after a centre back and a striker.

All of the centre halves and strikers are effectively on trial for the rest of the season.

Batth - needs to prove he is worthy of his current guaranteed starter/captain status
Stearman - playing for a move, Fulham will probably want some kind of a fee back...is he worth it
Williamson - must play a substantial portion of games for the rest of the season to get a new deal
Hause - not in the team at the moment, reaching make or break point now, needs to do something in these next few months
Iorfa - is he a RB or a CH? Time to decide soon. And find some form

Dicko - playing ok but needs a goal, new contract signed
Bodvarsson - not scored since August, must get some goals
Mason - not really an out and out forward, where are we going to play him going forward
Enobakhare - how quickly can he translate potential into end product
Gladon - lol

We *could* sign a centre half or a striker but Lambert is still learning about these players, he will have bigger decisions to make about them in the summer. If any/all of them don't step up and he cuts them loose after the season is finished then they can have no complaints.

Strikers in particular tend to attract a massive premium in January and given that we aren't going anywhere, it is understandable why the club might leave it in this window. While I don't subscribe to the theory that we have a huge, unmanageable squad, you can't just keep signing players forever.

You have to understand the limitations of what you can do in a four week window if you aren't intent on just endlessly and thoughtlessly chucking money at it as Villa currently are.

By the way Marshall is definitely a better RB than Coady, the latter is no kind of serious long term option. I'm pleasantly surprised that we've actually found a purpose for Coady as he is a shocking midfielder (which is what we bought him to do) but I wouldn't bat an eyelid if we signed someone better - which Marshall is - and never picked him again.

Feels like we say this every window but it bears repeating:

Just because we have obvious needs does NOT mean that the solutions can automatically be bought. There are so many moving pieces involved, especially for a club at this level, that it's incredibly likely that the players who would meet our standards (however realistic) are either unavailable or stupidly priced.

We've been promoted from this league in the past with a team that included Richard Stearman, Kevin Foley, Chris Iwelumo, and Karl Henry, among others. "Solid" is all you really need to to have success in this league.

Feels like we say this every window but it bears repeating:

Just because we have obvious needs does NOT mean that the solutions can automatically be bought. There are so many moving pieces involved, especially for a club at this level, that it's incredibly likely that the players who would meet our standards (however realistic) are either unavailable or stupidly priced.

We've been promoted from this league in the past with a team that included Richard Stearman, Kevin Foley, Chris Iwelumo, and Karl Henry, among others. "Solid" is all you really need to to have success in this league.

Spoken like a man who truly has no idea ;)

Marshalls definitely a better right back than coady, no question - but he's nowhere near as good as iorfa when he's on form. For me, we should be using the second half of the season working on iorfa to get him playing the way lambert wants.

There's no point paying loads of money for someone who would be second choice right back.

At what point do we need to start looking beyond Iorfa coming into some sort of form?

He's probably now been playing shit for longer than he ever looked good so which do you take as the true measure of his ability?

Marshalls definitely a better right back than coady, no question - but he's nowhere near as good as iorfa when he's on form. For me, we should be using the second half of the season working on iorfa to get him playing the way lambert wants.

There's no point paying loads of money for someone who would be second choice right back.

When Iorfa broke into the team I, like most of us, had incredibly high hopes that he would go on to become a top player. Unfortunately he has gone backwards not forwards. His use of the ball, especially his crossing, is still poor, his positional awareness is poor. He still uses his pace well but too often it is to get him out of trouble he shouldn't have got into in the first place. Part of the problem is he has played alongside Batth and it was interesting his defending was praised at Stoke when he was alongside Williamson. He might go on to achieve what we all hoped after watching his early appearances but I'm far from convinced. In light of this I would welcome Marshall with open arms.

When Iorfa broke into the team I, like most of us, had incredibly high hopes that he would go on to become a top player. Unfortunately he has gone backwards not forwards. His use of the ball, especially his crossing, is still poor, his positional awareness is poor. He still uses his pace well but too often it is to get him out of trouble he shouldn't have got into in the first place. Part of the problem is he has played alongside Batth and it was interesting his defending was praised at Stoke when he was alongside Williamson. He might go on to achieve what we all hoped after watching his early appearances but I'm far from convinced. In light of this I would welcome Marshall with open arms.

The nutshell post! Personally I think Iorfa may end up as a centre back not a right back. Its just a hunch but next to someone really experienced he is the legs while the other is the brain and that may work. I hope he does improve. The cynic in me fears hes off to West Ham or similar and Lambert knows its likely so is going with what he knows realising Iorfa is not here for the long term. Another hunch.

Back