• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

January 2017 Transfer Thread

I would rather we sell for a reasonable fee than persist with him alongside Batth. I would rather we bring in a new CH if Williamson is unlikely to be fit to play regularly and see if he improves. With a bit of luck he'll respond by playing a blinder at Anfield.

Iorfa will be fine. It always amazes me how quickly people are to write off players who are simply off form.

A challenge for the right back slot from someone who's actually shown they're a decent championship level full back is no bad thing, surely?

I'm struggling to understand the negativity over Marshall TBH.

Iorfa will be fine. It always amazes me how quickly people are to write off players who are simply off form.

A challenge for the right back slot from someone who's actually shown they're a decent championship level full back is no bad thing, surely?

I'd love Iorfa to nail down the RB position but the fact Coady is playing ahead of him suggests he's gone backwards since his early impressive performances. Marshall sounds a good option and I would certainly try and sign him as on this season's performances he would improve the starting XI.

In attacking terms an in-form Iorfa is a bit like Kyle Walker of a few years ago. Stupid pace and physicality gets him involved and although he might not even look up, he'll put the ball into the box a few times a game and give your Dangerous Dave something to go for. Then he'll get back defensively and show up anyone trying to counter down his side with his stupid pace and physicality. I don't think he's got much of a football brain, same as Walker (he has improved with age though).
Any way - If having a shit centre-mid play ahead of you in your RB position isn't competition enough to make you improve yourself then I dunno what is. I don't know anything about Marshall but general consensus tells me we don't really need him.
If Saiss and Iorfa do happen to not be Lambert's type of player then Lambert can fuck off.

Fooking Happyclapper :neer_neer:

Alex Mowatt signing for Barnsley, I would have liked him here. Not sure what's happened between him and Monk; but a talented player who can play any of the three roles behind the forward

I dont think its been too quick. There was criticism last season and the same failings positionally have appeared again this year. Additionally his passing has been close to dreadful. Thats going backwards and he needs to address those issues. If a keeper stops being able to judge his angles then it needs addressing through coaching and that doesnt seem to have happened with Dom. The only thing I can think is that he is more confident when being told what to do DURING a game and Williamson gets in everyones ear hole. He isnt the greatest defender but he is an excellent communicator and motivator from the few games I have seen him in. I do think that Marshall is currently a better option than any other we have. Potential, Iorfa, Hause and half the development squad have that but fulfilling it is what we want.I am happy to let Lambert assemble the team he wants to , develop a style of play that suits those players ( and its been far more entertaining in the main with less chaotic defending) and use the rest of this season to put down a platform for a real challenge next season. Ok its a year later than we hoped but we have learned so much this season about so many facets of the club, the players, the owners that it has not gone to waste.

I've said all season I don't think Iorfa wants to be here, the mistakes he's been making have been sloppy and look like he can't be bothered, how many times has he not picked his man up at the back post costing us goals?

For me it's telling that his best performances have been for England U21's and against Newcastle and Stoke ie when he's trying in high profile games. If he plays tomorrow my guess is he'll have a stormer.

Just a thought, with Villa signing all these midfielders, are there any midfielders there Wolves should look at or are they all crap hence the 3 new signings ?

I've said all season I don't think Iorfa wants to be here, the mistakes he's been making have been sloppy and look like he can't be bothered, how many times has he not picked his man up at the back post costing us goals?

For me it's telling that his best performances have been for England U21's and against Newcastle and Stoke ie when he's trying in high profile games. If he plays tomorrow my guess is he'll have a stormer.

He was shit at defending the back post right from day 1 though, even when he was playing really well overall he was always liable to try and usher something out of danger at the back stick only to be mugged off by an attacker than wanted it more, too often he tried to be clever rather than just attacking the ball and getting rid of the danger.

Spiers tweeting this:

Paul Lambert has confirmed Wolves are in talks over signing Helder Costa. "If feasible, yes."

Also confirmed Joao Teixeira off to Forest.

Shame as I really like Tex, but given that we have options in his positions and PL hasn't liked him since he arrived I'm not surprised.

The Costa line is pretty much what has been said previously tbh

I like Tex and it's disappointing that any player with an ounce of flair or creativity to their game, soon get shifted on - leaving us with a bunch of players who can put a shift in and run around lots. I don't understand why we haven't managed to find a way of fitting players with both traits in to our starting 11.

He'll do well at Forest and he goes with my best wishes.

If you'd told me after Rotherham when he came on and turned the game on its head that we'd be binning him off in the next window I wouldn't have believed you. He wasn't really given much of a chance in what I feel would have been his best position '10', but if Bright and particularly Ronan play there for the rest of the season then fair enough.

Helder?
Ivan?

I think you are a little wide of the mark there Jinks

I wasn't really getting at the wide areas. Most wingers will have some sort of technical ability (or at least you'd hope so). It's a shame he wasn't given a proper chance in behind the lone striker. As a player I really liked him.

But then Lambert isn't picking Edwards or some other headless bleep test merchant at #10 instead. He's gone with Bright, Ronan and Mason who are all good footballers. Would you say Tex is definitively better than any of them, relative to suitability in this division? All of whom we actually own.

But then Lambert isn't picking Edwards or some other headless bleep test merchant at #10 instead. He's gone with Bright, Ronan and Mason who are all good footballers. Would you say Tex is definitively better than any of them, relative to suitability in this division? All of whom we actually own.

Personally, I'd have him ahead of Mason. Bright & Ronan, like any young player breaking through, will take time to find their feet.

I felt he had a lot to offer, but it is what it is.

I'm not sure he's really better than Mason, but each to their own. I do think it's unfair to suggest that binning him off is endemic of "leaving us with a bunch of players who can put a shift in and run around lots" because that isn't true given the teams that Lambert has sent out.

Incidentally we don't actually know if he's any good at #10, he might be, he's got a lot of the attributes you would look for from someone playing that position. But he's never played there for us, not even one minute, so it's all hypothetical anyway. Not as if he'd put together a string of quality performances in that role and Lambo suddenly decided "nah, don't fancy him, doesn't run enough".

I can see Jinky's point but I would say Bright has the higher potential in the medium to long term. I'd rather see him get the game time and progress. Same with Ronan before his injury, that lad is magic.

Hopefully Ronan plays tomorrow, he was back in the U23 team on Monday.

Back