• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

January 2017 Transfer Thread

West Ham ended up paying every penny for Jarvo. So whatever the top end value quoted was, that's what we got.

As pointed out, he had done it in the PL for a significant length of time, obviously there's also been significant market inflation in the four and a half years since (where does time go).

I'd rather have Helder than Andros Townsend or Jeff Schlupp, put it that way.

Jarvis went 4 1/2 seasons ago - transfer fees have gone up a fair bit since then.

With the inflation of the transfer market (thanks Man United and friends) and his age £13 million is a fair asking price. It's really whether we can keep him and Cavaleiro in the summer

The only way I can see Helder being here next year is if we offer him a similar deal to the ones we offered Lescott et al back in the day, 'stay with us for another year and if we don't get promoted we promise to sell you to a bigger club'. But I doubt it very much tbh, if we're activating this release clause it's because we feel that it's below his true value and we think we can make a killing in the summer. Which is fair enough really, good business all round, gives Lambert the freedom to build the squad he wants without having to worry about FFP and we get to watch Helder Costa for a few more months.

The only way I can see Helder being here next year is if we offer him a similar deal to the ones we offered Lescott et al back in the day, 'stay with us for another year and if we don't get promoted we promise to sell you to a bigger club'. But I doubt it very much tbh, if we're activating this release clause it's because we feel that it's below his true value and we think we can make a killing in the summer. Which is fair enough really, good business all round, gives Lambert the freedom to build the squad he wants without having to worry about FFP and we get to watch Helder Costa for a few more months.
Big time, we can't lose.

I think if this deal goes through its a reason to get excited (I will believe it when I see him signing on the dotted line).. Our owners are Chinese multibillionaires and Mendes is normally dealing with Ronaldo or Real Madrid to we really feel the soul intention is to turn over two or three million in a couple of months, they have probably made that in interest while I type this. Fosun and Mendes know their money will be made by making us an attractive premiership club, we know Costa is too good for the championship, he knows it and so does everybody else. Money talks and being a Mendes man he has probably had the nudge give me a year to get us up and I will get you the big move. Let sit back and enjoy being linked with serious players, rather than a guy on trial who's been released by a league two club. Not everything is a conspiracy lets try and be positive.

I have just read an identical comment elsewhere....!!

We have already been blessed seeing Helder in a Wolves shirt. Any deal that gives even a small chance of prolonging that, and also ensures we get huge bang for a buck if he does move on in the summer can only be a tremendously good thing. People moaning about this need their bumps felt.

We have already been blessed seeing Helder in a Wolves shirt. Any deal that gives even a small chance of prolonging that, and also ensures we get huge bang for a buck if he does move on in the summer can only be a tremendously good thing. People moaning about this need their bumps felt.

Absolutely. Just remember the squad this time last year.

Get Costa signed as the feel good factor is dying a death after a summer of promise. I honestly expected Lambert to have a busier window rooting out deadwood and bringing in some first team replacements.
We are crying out for a striker and we should have had one lined up January 1st.

Get Costa signed as the feel good factor is dying a death after a summer of promise. I honestly expected Lambert to have a busier window rooting out deadwood and bringing in some first team replacements.
We are crying out for a striker and we should have had one lined up January 1st.

I'm very surprised we haven't heard about a new contract for Price - Lambert seems to love him, and I doubt we'll want to let him go in the summer.

Otherwise I guess it must be hard to get people interested in some of the people running down their contracts, despite (or, in line with) what we or the club may think of their ability. I can understand nobody taking much of an interest in Saville, for example, but Evans is just.... I mean, we've prioritised extending Ebanks-Landell's contract, that is just weird.

At least we found a loan move for Wallace, I guess, even it's also a bit weird that Teixeira and Borthwick-Jackson are still here at the same time.

I'm very surprised we haven't heard about a new contract for Price - Lambert seems to love him, and I doubt we'll want to let him go in the summer.

Otherwise I guess it must be hard to get people interested in some of the people running down their contracts, despite (or, in line with) what we or the club may think of their ability. I can understand nobody taking much of an interest in Saville, for example, but Evans is just.... I mean, we've prioritised extending Ebanks-Landell's contract, that is just weird.

At least we found a loan move for Wallace, I guess, even it's also a bit weird that Teixeira and Borthwick-Jackson are still here at the same time.

Thelwell is probably ironing out the details of an 8 year contract as we speak.

Indeed. Didn't Lambert say he had to trim the squad? But there has been very little activity.

Pat Murphy said we 'needed' to trim the squad, unsurprisingly he was talking rot for a change.

There are players we'd like to get rid of, we can't do that if no-one wants them. One of them in Gladon is stuck in limbo as he isn't allowed to play for another club this season. Of course a cautionary lesson there is don't tie down mediocre players on massive long term contracts because you'll get lumbered with them for ages, a lesson we don't seem to be learning.

There are others who aren't necessarily playing right now but I'm sure Lambo wants to have a look at them between now and the end of the season, Evans and Hause for instance. There's no great benefit to us in sending them out on loan.

John, Prince and Wallace have gone (and Henry and EEL have stayed away), I expect Tex to go if we sign Marshall, if we ever get round to signing an actual LB then CBJ will go as well. That'd be five departures plus two extended loans (plus releasing Hunte if you want to count that), there isn't that much more you can do in January.

My workmate is a huge Blackburn fan and is annoyed that they're losing Ben Marshall - but would rather get money from him now rather than the summer. Not that the club will do anything with any funds they raise but that's another debate entirely). A few points he raised:

1. Saying he isn't a full back is harsh on his abilities in that position - a perfectly decent, consistent option in defence.

2. Hasn't had a footballer with an ounce of intelligence playing down the same flank as him either as a winger or a RB which negates his attacking threat. But if he clicks with Costa we could be laughing

3. Not good enough for the Premier League but more than capable of being a very good championship player with the right people around him (which is better than our current options)

4. An excellent character who gives his all and doesn't hide away during games

All in all he reckons he'll be a sensible, decent signing for a team hoping to challenge for promotion as long as we don't expect him to be a Premier League regular as that's one step too far for him.

I trust his judgement - sounds like he'd improve us if indeed we plan to play him at full back. Which Lambert did when he was at Blackburn which coincided with his best spell.

Marshall is mid-table at best. More mediocrity to add to the pile.

Much more pressing options like LB, CB, CM and CF to address before buying an average RB where we're well stocked (Coady, Doherty and Iorfa).

Wolves are fucking rubbish as a club at the moment, a genuine mess.

My workmate is a huge Blackburn fan and is annoyed that they're losing Ben Marshall - but would rather get money from him now rather than the summer. Not that the club will do anything with any funds they raise but that's another debate entirely). A few points he raised:

1. Saying he isn't a full back is harsh on his abilities in that position - a perfectly decent, consistent option in defence.

2. Hasn't had a footballer with an ounce of intelligence playing down the same flank as him either as a winger or a RB which negates his attacking threat. But if he clicks with Costa we could be laughing

3. Not good enough for the Premier League but more than capable of being a very good championship player with the right people around him (which is better than our current options)

All in all he reckons he'll be a sensible, decent signing for a team hoping to challenge for promotion as long as we don't expect him to be a Premier League regular as that's one step too far for him.

I trust his judgement - sounds like he'd improve us if indeed we plan to play him at full back. Which Lambert did when he was at Blackburn which coincided with his best spell.

History shows that on promotion preconceived views on a player's ability to step up are often wrong and the ones everybody thinks will cut it often don't and a few that are written off spring a surprise. If he's good enough to play a part getting us promoted get him in, worry about what he'll be like in the PL if we get there.

I also work with a Rovers fan who would probably agree with all that. He said if he wasn't going out of contract he'd be worth £5-6M.

Is he going to be a better option in the long run than Coady or Doherty at RB, almost certainly yes, is he a better option on the right than Henry, Wallace, Mason or playing someone like Edwards or Bright out of position, I don't think there's even the need to add the "almost certainly" there.

He won't be a terribly exciting signing if it comes off but not one to lose one's shit over.

Back