• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

January 2017 Transfer Thread

Jody Craddock - Another one who rediscovered his form.

I would argue he adapted. His pace was slowed but his game reading improved to compensate. Michael Owen was another whose game was not the same after injury. The key seems to be if you're a striker keep your speed. If that goes then its hard to have the same impact

We should sign Tammy Abrahams. Not up to Chelsea standard, but he'd be perfect for us. We had a good, profitable run from Afobe. Abrahams is a similar scenario.
He's not. Afobe was nearly 22 when we signed him and had numerous loans of which only the MK one was successful in League One. Abraham is 19, been successful on loan in the same league as us, highly thought of at Chelsea and already an England U21. His next move will be a season loan in the Prem next season. We have zero chance of signing him.

Grant leadbetter only has six months left on his contract apparently, I wonder if boro would let him go?

I really don't expect any incoming midfielders over the new few weeks. Getting in defenders is actually urgent, we *need* improvements there. At least a left-back and centre-back, and possibly an extra right-back too since Silvio's broken.

We can afford to wait, in terms of the quality it would add to the squad, for the right midfield or attacking players to become more readily available in the summer if we can't get them right now. Same for a new goalkeeper, I don't sense any urgency from the club there.

There have been rumours that we will pick up Ruddy of Norwich on a free in the summer so there is probably no rush for a keeper. Defenders on the other hand .............

He's not. Afobe was nearly 22 when we signed him and had numerous loans of which only the MK one was successful in League One. Abraham is 19, been successful on loan in the same league as us, highly thought of at Chelsea and already an England U21. His next move will be a season loan in the Prem next season. We have zero chance of signing him.

I think we should try and get him, we can afford him and his wages. He won't be anywhere near the Chelsea first team for a while, would any other Prem team be willing to take a risk on him? (Less risk if he gets loaned I suppose). We could easily offer him at least season here (with the chance to put some roots down :) ) with an agreement that if a Prem club comes calling we will let them talk to him

I'd also go for Ben Marshall and Grant Leadbitter. Leadbitter is exactly the kind of experience we need. Both would give us more quality + options

More chance of getting Dom Solanke as he won't sign a new deal at the moment.

Flanagan hasn't played much for Burnley this season - could be worth a punt?

Doubt Burnley would really want to cancel the loan of a player who can cover both full back positions and Liverpool probably want him playing Premier League football if they really want to send him somewhere else (plus they'll remember that we used Ojo infrequently - rightly so as he was absolute queef, but still).

Plus I have bad memories of signing supposedly highly rated Liverpool full backs on loan when we're chugging along in the bottom half of this division:

jack-robinson-v-cardiff-25feb-4x367-677814_478x359.jpg

Now he actually is probably worse than Mr Gloves.

I agree completely the defence is more of a priority than the midfield, but I really think we need a leader or two - leadbetter is proven to be one, and would help get us organised and more resilient.

On keepers, replacing Ikeme should be a priority imo, shame we didn't go for Bentley in the summer. Ruddy's not been playing well for Norwich for a while now, most of their fans would be happy to get rid.

Linked to Matty James on loan. Would be all over that.

8 points off relegation and 12 off the play offs, I don't see the point in signing anyone on loan unless it is with a view to permanent.

8 points off relegation and 12 off the play offs, I don't see the point in signing anyone on loan unless it is with a view to permanent.

Which this would be surely. He doesn't have a future at Leicester and is still unproven at Premier League level, it'll only be Championship clubs fighting for him.

Which this would be surely. He doesn't have a future at Leicester and is still unproven at Premier League level, it'll only be Championship clubs fighting for him.
If that was the case, then I agree subject to fitness, he's not played in ages, I'd be up for it as well.

Linked to Matty James on loan. Would be all over that.

My concern would be that he's been out for over 18 months already. And we currently have Dicko (was out for more than a year, a long way from his best at this stage), Williamson (13 months out and counting), Graham (will be over a year out by the time he plays for the first team again) and Zyro (ditto). Lambo wants to trim the squad down to 20-25 senior pros it seems - I'm not massively comfortably with 20-25% of them being on the road back from massive layoffs.

Of course if he's fit and back how he was pre-injury, he'd be a top asset at this level. But so would Dicko.

Great player at this level but like Dan says he needs to be over his injury.

My (semi) realistic wish list all on permanent deals :-

Ben Marshall
Grant Leadbetter
Tammy Abraham
Jon Flanagon
James Tarkowski
Bradley Dack

Is Ben Marshall that good? I know we've been heavily linked, but he's always seemed like a younger James Henry to me - skilful, scores a few but not particularly fast, doesn't work that hard, not that outstanding technically...

I'd have thought we'd be signing him as a right back. That's where Lambert played him last year anyway

Sheff Wed + Rovers fans rated him. We don't really have cover for Cav / Costa at the moment and I think he can provide that - he's better than other options we have (until Graham comes back) and would be an improvement at right back.

Back