• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

January 2017 Transfer Thread

Sheff Wed + Rovers fans rated him. We don't really have cover for Cav / Costa at the moment and I think he can provide that - he's better than other options we have (until Graham comes back) and would be an improvement at right back.

I have no idea who you've spoken to but the Rovers forums contain comments such as 'I'll drive him there myself' and other comments we use constantly for Henry, Edwards, Coady and Saville.

Marshall is no better than Coady at right back, worse than Costa and Cav in midfield so why would we buy another squad player when the manager has complained about too many players?

For me, Marshall is the epitome of averageness and a player we really don't need. He's one paced, technically gifted but no more of a plodder than Henry or Coady. A good League 1 player and we have enough of those.

I have no idea who you've spoken to but the Rovers forums contain comments such as 'I'll drive him there myself' and other comments we use constantly for Henry, Edwards, Coady and Saville.

Marshall is no better than Coady at right back, worse than Costa and Cav in midfield so why would we buy another squad player when the manager has complained about too many players?

For me, Marshall is the epitome of averageness and a player we really don't need. He's one paced, technically gifted but no more of a plodder than Henry or Coady. A good League 1 player and we have enough of those.

I can find forum quotes where fans seem to rate him, I know a Wednesday fan who always remarked about how good he was and how much they missed him when he went.

That's the great thing about opinions :)

Sheff Wed + Rovers fans rated him. We don't really have cover for Cav / Costa at the moment and I think he can provide that - he's better than other options we have (until Graham comes back) and would be an improvement at right back.

What makes you think he's an improvement at right back? No pace, not good in the air, not a natural defender... if we need a right back, surely we should buy an actual right back?

Would Sam Winnall and Ashley Westwood have enough improvement in them to be considered reasonable transfer targets?

What makes you think he's an improvement at right back? No pace, not good in the air, not a natural defender... if we need a right back, surely we should buy an actual right back?

My thoughts exactly. I don't mind him too much as a footballer (even if he turns into a fatty far too readily) but the spot is taken in his primary position and he wouldn't be on a list of 50 right backs I'd want.

Stop dicking about with the full back positions please, we've lined up all year with an awful right back at left back and now we have the division's least skilled midfielder filling in on the other side. Just go and buy a couple of proper ones, they aren't hard to find and they aren't expensive either.

My thoughts exactly. I don't mind him too much as a footballer (even if he turns into a fatty far too readily) but the spot is taken in his primary position and he wouldn't be on a list of 50 right backs I'd want.

Stop dicking about with the full back positions please, we've lined up all year with an awful right back at left back and now we have the division's least skilled midfielder filling in on the other side. Just go and buy a couple of proper ones, they aren't hard to find and they aren't expensive either.

He's never going to be better than what we currently have, but if what we currently have can't play who fills in? Right now I can't think of anyone and the amount that Costa gets clattered every game we need options there. I'd still say that Marshall is better than our current deputies

Who would you have in at LB + RB?

I don't see the point in Marshall at all, surely if we want someone to cover Costa and Cav then we need someone who has similar attributes and if we want him as i right back then like DW i would rather we sign a proper right back. To be honest i would rather we got Iorfa sorted out and back playing to his ability but not sure that is going to happen.

Charlie Taylor would probably be out of our reach, but we'd have a chance of getting Stephen Kingsley from Swansea, he isn't a regular in their team at the moment (depends who takes over I suppose). Failing that, I'm sure we could pry Greg Cunningham away from Preston. I'm at the stage now where I'd take almost any left back (bar obvious shite like Jack Robinson), not having one is a disgraceful state of affairs.

As for right back, clearly everyone hopes Iorfa can regain some kind of form, it's not a terminal decline he's on. So whether you need to going big on that position is a matter of opinion, why would you want to spend a lot of money on someone who inevitably isn't going to be as good as an on form Dom and therefore won't play half the time? John Brayford would do, not in Sheff Utd's plans it seems.

This season is going to be all but dead if we pick up a few more wins, we are too far back to make the top six without going on a ridiculous run of form. With Graham and Zyro coming back I'm not convinced of the value of signing another winger - who'll never be anything more than Championship standard - just for a few months. If it were someone like Alan Judge then I'd consider it.

It might be worth loaning a left winger until the end of the season just for cover, and also in case we want to move Cav more centrally. Him and Costa can't realistically be expected to play every game. They'll need a rest at some point and I'd rather not see Coady lining up at RM.

It might be worth loaning a left winger until the end of the season just for cover, and also in case we want to move Cav more centrally. Him and Costa can't realistically be expected to play every game. They'll need a rest at some point and I'd rather not see Coady lining up at RM.

Andreas Weimann could be an option covers up top or wide positions.

I just hope Costa signs for us permanently at the end of the season and Zyro + Graham come back to the level they were at before they got crocked

It seems i'm in the minority (of one!) about Marshall

There isn't a cat in hells chance Costa will be with us again next year, not a chance. His performances (along with those when he was at Monaco) will have already caught the eye of those in the PL, let alone the rest of Europe once Mendes has hawked him around. He'll (rightly so) be playing in one of Europe's top 5 leagues next season.

Lambert has said we have enough squad players. I appreciate we have too many centre midfielders and not a lot of width, but really don't want us to sign players as cover, particularly if we wouldn't want them starting consistently. If he's still here I'd rather Wallace played wide right if Costa was out rather than signing another Wallace type as cover effectively replacing like with like. Lambert has also said that anyone we sign needs to go straight into the first 11, so that would also rule out the likes of Marshall as wing cover. As I said before I can see us signing him, but as right back, although as others have said I hope and believe we can do better.

I just hope Costa signs for us permanently at the end of the season and Zyro + Graham come back to the level they were at before they got crocked

It seems i'm in the minority (of one!) about Marshall
There's as much chance of Costa signing for us as there is Tammy Abraham

Lambert has said we have enough squad players. I appreciate we have too many centre midfielders and not a lot of width, but really don't want us to sign players as cover, particularly if we wouldn't want them starting consistently. If he's still here I'd rather Wallace played wide right if Costa was out rather than signing another Wallace type as cover. Lambert has also said that anyone we sign needs to go straight into the first 11, so that would also rule out the likes of Marshall as wing cover. As I said before I can see us signing him, but as right back, although as others have said I hope and believe we can do better.

I'd rather bring Henry back than use Wallace, while I appreciate his deficencies, he has had a number of good games for us........Wallace maybe 1 or 2

I'd rather bring Henry back than use Wallace, while I appreciate his deficencies, he has had a number of good games for us........Wallace maybe 1 or 2
That wouldn't bother me as long as Wallace went at the same time. My point wasn't really a pro Wallace one, more how I really don't want us to sign players as cover, when we already have plenty of squad players on the books.

That wouldn't bother me as long as Wallace went at the same time. My point wasn't really a pro Wallace one, more how I really don't want us to sign players as cover, when we already have plenty of squad players on the books.

Absolutely. I think we are only 3 players away from a very good side and that is a LB, CB and ball playing CM. let Dicko, Bod and Ennis when he is fit do the striking work but at least give them a ball playing midfielder to get the ball into them.

A quality LB to replace DW's player of the decade and a centre back that can actually defend and isn't named Danny Batth.

I don't think it's a lot to ask, that will be the summer job when we lose Costa and Cav and Mendes sticks his fingers up to Thelwell.

I'd like us to go for Fraizer Campbell from Palace. Proven at this level, experienced, has the ability to play in the Premier League - and isn't getting a game at his current club. He's an improvement on what we have and would score goals.

That's a fair point, just think while Henry gets load of stick, he's a better player than most of our "squad" midfielder, rather get rid of Wallace, Saville, Coady and/or Evans if we want to thin the squad out

I also hope/think Mendes will pull a few more players we've never heard of out of his arse

Back