• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

January 2017 Transfer Thread

I've said it before that I really don't think we're far away from having a decent team. I think a decent CB (Williamson?) and a decent LB (Silvio?) would make the world of difference, throw in a RB and you start to alleviate the defensive responsibilities of Saiss + Price.

If you ignore the GK and Def

Saiss Price
Costa Bright/Tex Cav
Dicko / Bod

I think that's at the very least competitive

We are an in form striker away from having a very good attack. Cav & Costa are both far too good for this division.

If we can tighten up the defence and add some creativity to the midfield then there's no reason why we can't have a good 2nd half to the season.

I think Lopetegui wasn't the answer, either. Yes, he manages Spain, but had had no success as a football manager. He was a good under 21 coach, not a good league manager. He got the Spanish job because it was a natural progression, from the Spanish under 21 team, he was a yes man and he had coached many of the actual Spanish team, when they were younger.
It could be argued that Venga had had more league success than Lopetegui. Which is where My original doubts come from. If you were really going to go for it, get promoted and kick on, surely you would have gone for an experienced, successful coach from the beginning!
I get the arguement, that we were in the championship, ect, but FOSUN are hugely rich and money talks!
Then there is Mendes, nobody can argue of his influence and power in recruiting the best players and managers, but the teams he has been heavily involved in, Valencia, Deportivo de la Coruña ect, went to the dogs with his involvement. He is very clever at seeing a financial moneymaking opportunity for himself at the detriment of the club, he is involved with.

Has Jeffy shagged Frank's wife? Honestly, this new negative attitude is such a sea change that I'm a bit at a loss.

Regardless, Prince at least is definitely worth another go. He is never a left midfielder which is where he most recently played for us under Zenga (fuck knows why). As for Tex, I'm conflicted. He's clearly class on the ball but where is his best position? From reports I've read he seems to lack one crucial bit for each position he could play; not pacey enough to be on the wing, not strong enough to play centrally, and too lazy to have any defensive responsibilities. And yet he is almost undeniably the most comfortable dribbler and passer at the club.

Maybe the last few months have turned me into a grumpy old so and so. But remember I got attacked on here for being over positive at times, but positivity has always been my attitude. (Well it was). But regarding our new owners, sorry but they do not sit easy with me. I fear it will all go wrong. Had a manager lined up, lost him. Brought in another manager who was a great person, but clueless. We brought in lots of players, but decided against bolstering the defence. It didn't go well, so we are now onto another manager, who a lot of fans are not over impressed with. And we hovering just above the relegation zone. Back in August I never expected this. We should have enough to stay up, but what then? Start all over again. And most of the old guard will probably still be here. This club needed a big clear out when the new owners took over. Surely they had done their homework on the club. But no, Thelwell & Co. are still here. Sorry but it is not good enough.

I think Kenny has responded to these points already.

I think Kenny has responded to these points already.
Yeah but it's like telling Pav that Mendes didn't make us sign 13 players in the summer - da truth but doesn't sit with opinion so ignored.

I'd put it down as fosun not knowing really how football works,it doesn't seem to comply with normal business practices,they were looking at buying a club,needed help and advice so bought into mendes business(he's got to know how football works) and are still finding their feet,it was in the fans parliament minutes that Jeff was responsible for the mass of signings,sure he'll be happy a junior person at work is slagging him off for not being brilliant

He,s got to know how football works?? Are you seriously suggesting the best advice on football matters Fosun could get was their partner in crime , Mr Mendez?
FFS!!

Yeah but it's like telling Pav that Mendes didn't make us sign 13 players in the summer - da truth but doesn't sit with opinion so ignored.

Oh come on Kenny, the knowledge or total lack of since the takeover clearly says Fosun have not got a fucking clue about football. So where are thy getting their advice on football matters? Why from their partner of course.

They will get it right, the Chinese do not invest in failure, but I think uncle Mendy might be the first casualty. Let,s see how many we buy, loan, sign from him in the Jan window.

Well that's what we have been playing up to now, but watch Fosun get tough, as I say the Chinese do not invest in faliure. If????? Their advice is solidly from Mendez, well, small time partner or not, his ass is grass.
Maybe....... Just maybe.... Lambert is explaining English football in a more simple way for Fosun, and that will certainly not hold a big recommendation for Mr Mendez.

Their advise has never 100% been from Mendes..no doubt he had a big say in things at the start (and that makes sense, they own part of the company and entering the football business, they used a tool they already had) but he was not the one and only person. If he was every single last man in the club would have been linked to him.

The President of Benfica gave them advise during and after the takeover for example

I know whatever I type will you will only read this though "blah blah blah MENDES blah blah EVIL blah blah cypro blah blah" so it is pointless really.

Mendes' hit rate is some way better than Thelwell's has been over the last three years.

True. Since Jan 2014 we've spent about £8m plus God knows what on wages/signing on fees on Clarke, Rowe, van La Parra, Saville, D Graham, Sagbo, Wallace, Ojo, Byrne, Coady, Le Fondre, Holt and Mason thanks to KT, as well as pointlessly extending Henry's deal, letting Golbourne drift out of the club and giving Mr Gloves a four year deal, so any improvement is welcome.

True. Since Jan 2014 we've spent about £8m plus God knows what on wages/signing on fees on Clarke, Rowe, van La Parra, Saville, D Graham, Sagbo, Wallace, Ojo, Byrne, Coady, Le Fondre, Holt and Mason thanks to KT, as well as pointlessly extending Henry's deal, letting Golbourne drift out of the club and giving Mr Gloves a four year deal, so any improvement is welcome.

Its enough to make you cry.

reads like a whos who of league 2 footballers

But lends weight to Pav's anti-Mendes rants.

Did I stumble across the politics thread(s)?

Dont remember me, my eyes and heart bleeds..

I think Mendes must have visited Pavs tiny island and pissed in all the cypro supplies/burnt down all of the olive trees.

Only thing that makes sense.

Back