• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

January 2017 Transfer Thread

Or maybe FOSUN will say goodbye to Wolves. As I have said before, they came in with this great fanfare, but look where we are now. Things have not improved, they have got worse.

For someone who would like to give every manager all the time in the World, why do you not with the current owners?

They came in with a very small squad and little time to assess what we needed, they then brought in 12 players, yes 12 players, but for some reason you think they haven't done enough. What more did you expect after 6 months?

For someone who would like to give every manager all the time in the World, why do you not with the current owners?

They came in with a very small squad and little time to assess what we needed, they then brought in 12 players, yes 12 players, but for some reason you think they haven't done enough. What more did you expect after 6 months?

I am just not as convinced as everyone else about their ambitions for the club. And yes a lot of players were brought in, but most of the old guard still play every week.

You can't blame the owners for that can you?

Fosun don't pick the side.

I see no reason to suggest that our new owners are any less trustworthy than our last one.

http://www.wolvesblog.com/9702/fans-parliament-bens-minutes-5

I will admit, I have been very underwhelmed by Lambert so far, especially by our first few performances. From what Ben relays in this blog, I feel better about what he is trying to do. I think the style he may want to implement will take some time, something he really wants. Not all managers hit the ground running, in fact sometimes they struggle to begin with because they believe in the process of developing a style rather than playing percentages. He did worry me with this Saunders-esque comment mind:

PL: “Yes. I look at who we are playing against and judge it from there. For the Nottingham Forest game on Saturday, I watched them in the week against Preston. Then I had the idea of going the way that we did. I thought that the front four we chose would cause them problems. In modern day football, you have got to be flexible. It is better this way than playing in one particular formation.”

If he plans to have the likes of Ronan, Bright in the team plus Ennis and Herc who he rates, I can see why it will be 2/3 players rather than 5/6 that maybe Penk has heard. This would set us up to build towards next season, as we clearly aren't going up

And most of all I am glad we have a manager who won't mess Price around. He clearly rates him highly.

I think his priority will be to sign players at full back and possibly a striker (though I still believe it is about creating more chances for our current ones).

Yeah, chopping and changing style at this level is unnecessary. Well, it is at any level if you have the right formula - Conte has picked the same formation and more or less the same team for all of Chelsea's 11 straight wins - but especially down here. A settled team and a defined setup is the hallmark of most successful teams.

He should stick with the structure of what he sent out against Forest because that's easily the most suitable way to play with the players we have. I don't really care if it's his vision or whether he stumbled across it, just don't go back to playing Coady and Edwards ahead of one DM because we'll get nowhere, I hate that midfield so much.

I see no reason to suggest that our new owners are any less trustworthy than our last one.

http://www.wolvesblog.com/9702/fans-parliament-bens-minutes-5

I will admit, I have been very underwhelmed by Lambert so far, especially by our first few performances. From what Ben relays in this blog, I feel better about what he is trying to do. I think the style he may want to implement will take some time, something he really wants. Not all managers hit the ground running, in fact sometimes they struggle to begin with because they believe in the process of developing a style rather than playing percentages. He did worry me with this Saunders-esque comment mind:

If he plans to have the likes of Ronan, Bright in the team plus Ennis and Herc who he rates, I can see why it will be 2/3 players rather than 5/6 that maybe Penk has heard. This would set us up to build towards next season, as we clearly aren't going up

And most of all I am glad we have a manager who won't mess Price around. He clearly rates him highly.

I think his priority will be to sign players at full back and possibly a striker (though I still believe it is about creating more chances for our current ones).

Cheers for the link, far better read than what's appeared on the E&S.

In fairness to Frank he remembers the Bhatti era, who came in with big promises and all they were looking to do in reality is asset strip the club. I don't think for a moment that Fosun are looking to do this, but can see why those of a certain vintage are a little more cautious.

Yeah, chopping and changing style at this level is unnecessary. Well, it is at any level if you have the right formula - Conte has picked the same formation and more or less the same team for all of Chelsea's 11 straight wins - but especially down here. A settled team and a defined setup is the hallmark of most successful teams.

He should stick with the structure of what he sent out against Forest because that's easily the most suitable way to play with the players we have. I don't really care if it's his vision or whether he stumbled across it, just don't go back to playing Coady and Edwards ahead of one DM because we'll get nowhere, I hate that midfield so much.

Absolutely this. Klopp, Mourinho, Wenger, Conte, Pep, Pochettino, Stam, Hughton, Benitez or Pulis do not change their style or formation for any other team why on earth would a manager think this is going to achieve results when it has never happened anywhere before?

Changing players, absolutely, changing styles, bollocks.

Or he is just making noise to discourage selling teams from inflating fees.

Lambert - We have millions and can match any club in the championship

Phone rings Chairman x answers - Have Chairman x from championship club y about Player A - Chairman X tell him we will accept nothing less than 5 mill
5 minutes later - Phone rings Have Jeff Shi from wolves about Player A - Chairman X tell him we will accept nothing less than 25 mill

Fuck that we should be telling the world we can beat Villa and Newcastle in the transfer market

Behave. You think opposing clubs are gonna forget who our owners are just because of statement like from Lambert? It won't effect transfer negotiations one bit. People know we're loaded, but equally we won't pay more than we want to, regardless of any warchest declarations. It's all just pointless bollocks

Absolutely this. Klopp, Mourinho, Wenger, Conte, Pep, Pochettino, Stam, Hughton, Benitez or Pulis do not change their style or formation for any other team why on earth would a manager think this is going to achieve results when it has never happened anywhere before?

Changing players, absolutely, changing styles, bollocks.

To be fair Pep has been fucking about with formations lately and is a prime example as to why you shouldn't do it.

I think balance is important, there are always going to be occasions where things need to be a bit different but you should still be able to stick to a common theme for the most part.

Mourinho has had great success in the past going super defensive in big games to prevent direct rivals getting one over on him
Wenger probably the opposite and just ploughs on the same regardless then usually gets thumped against other big clubs
Pochettino is fixed to his high intensity games but has changed formations up a little bit at times, using a back 3 occasionally or at times this season trying 2 up top to get Janssen involved
Klopp nearly threw away that CL semi against Real Madrid by sticking to his balls out approach and getting turned over in the second leg when they really just needed to see the game through in safety mode
Pep loves a change, always sticks to a similar philosophy like Pochettino but goes all over the place in terms of personnel and formation trying to prove how clever he is
Conte seems quite pragmatic at times, loves the back 3 but gave the players chance doing what they knew early on at Chelsea, changed to 4 at the back against Albion the other week too before changing back once they'd taken the lead

Sometimes a change here and there will give you an edge, keep the opponents guessing but too much and too often just leaves you with no identity and everything soon looks a mess and no-one has chance to become familiar with their roles.

Why do you keep saying they might leave Frank?

There is absolutely no evidence for that. For a start they would be down on the deal to the tune of £14m summer spend and the wage bill they have financed. No finance company operates that way. Secondly, they would need to find a buyer. Ask SISU how that is going in Coventry.

And things absolutely haven't got worse at all. That is just nonsense.

The league table suggests that things have got worse.

We have the exact same points as we did at this stage last season...only we haven't just been gubbed 4-1, we aren't about to sell our best player, we aren't on a run of one win in eight games, we do have the prospect of rebuilding the team with future investment and we aren't about to embark on a policy of playing the dullest football known to man at home.

You could make a case for things not materially improving so far under Fosun but they certainly aren't worse.

I think balance is important, there are always going to be occasions where things need to be a bit different but you should still be able to stick to a common theme for the most part.

Mourinho has had great success in the past going super defensive in big games to prevent direct rivals getting one over on him
Wenger probably the opposite and just ploughs on the same regardless then usually gets thumped against other big clubs
Pochettino is fixed to his high intensity games but has changed formations up a little bit at times, using a back 3 occasionally or at times this season trying 2 up top to get Janssen involved
Klopp nearly threw away that CL semi against Real Madrid by sticking to his balls out approach and getting turned over in the second leg when they really just needed to see the game through in safety mode
Pep loves a change, always sticks to a similar philosophy like Pochettino but goes all over the place in terms of personnel and formation trying to prove how clever he is
Conte seems quite pragmatic at times, loves the back 3 but gave the players chance doing what they knew early on at Chelsea, changed to 4 at the back against Albion the other week too before changing back once they'd taken the lead

Sometimes a change here and there will give you an edge, keep the opponents guessing but too much and too often just leaves you with no identity and everything soon looks a mess and no-one has chance to become familiar with their roles.

Nail on the head for me, you have to have a style of play that suits you most weeks but you have to be able to tweak it a little against different sides. That's not a weakness, sticking by a style every game and not having a plan b is the real weakness because eventually you will get found out. Obviously changing things every week is ridiculous but Lambert hasn't done that yet and this coming someone who hasn't been that impressed by him so far.

Lets hope we win the games left this year which can help to attract semiclass players at least. We should have a backbone of tactics and playing style and not too many changes in the backfour.. Changes all over the place every game creates unsure players and makes them trying to do too much themselves to show what they can do instead of playing as a team.. Not easy picking the best backfour among our defs though.. We need to get rid of some players that has been before Fosun and those not up to standard

Back