• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Hull (H) 3/4 Build-up thread

In the FP they suggested they see MGW as a natural replacement for Neves. Whether they will try that so soon remains to be seen. He'd certainly need someone like Saiss with more discipline to play alongside him.

For me MGW is not strong enough for CM role yet, he will be maybe but he certainly is better in front three at the moment. Vinny is so left footed that he may play on the left and Baz move over.
For the record Doc's sending off was ridiculous if you don't challenge for that you may as well not bother, an awful way to lose ever present status. Having said that he had a right go at the ref a little while before so a bit of "do you know who you're messing with, I am Attwell!"

I think a yellow was fair, he led with his arm. I disagree with Big Chris on the Championship who said it should have been a straight red as although he led with it it wasn't a swinging arm.

has anyone ever tried jumping to head a ball without lifting your arms? Its not easy, an arm up isn't a problem an elbow in someones face is. I think it was the Reading game Barry was consistently being hit in the face with a flailing arm and nothing was given so its all down to interpretation. Refs are generally lenient when its potentially going to result in a sending off but in Attwells case it was just another opportunity for him to wave his willy again. In the case of Neves I have no complaints about the 2nd yellow it was a bad challenge but I really think Doc was hard done by in that case we see lots of similar instances where not even a foul is given.

has anyone ever tried jumping to head a ball without lifting your arms? Its not easy, an arm up isn't a problem an elbow in someones face is. I think it was the Reading game Barry was consistently being hit in the face with a flailing arm and nothing was given so its all down to interpretation. Refs are generally lenient when its potentially going to result in a sending off but in Attwells case it was just another opportunity for him to wave his willy again. In the case of Neves I have no complaints about the 2nd yellow it was a bad challenge but I really think Doc was hard done by in that case we see lots of similar instances where not even a foul is given.
It's not about lifting your arms, it's about leading with them, look where his is at the point the ball is on Friend's head. Obviously a still doesn't show force either. I don't think he went to do him but a yellow is fair enough.
28c70db3a57a445c490458cd38a09086.jpg

I thought Doherty raised his arm to defend himself from a reckless running jump at him by Friend who had been committing fouls all game and getting away with it.
I agree that Neves second challenge was worthy of a yellow but wtf was his first yellow for?

Still we have to replace both men for Tuesday's game and can see N'Diaye replacing Neves alongside Saiss who will hopefully have recovered from his exertions on Friday. What a win that was BTW.

I'm not sure who Nuno will use to replace Doherty as we've had this problem all season. He could move Bennett across and use another CB, or he could use Vinagre. It will be interesting to see what he decides.

It's not about lifting your arms, it's about leading with them, look where his is at the point the ball is on Friend's head. Obviously a still doesn't show force either. I don't think he went to do him but a yellow is fair enough.
28c70db3a57a445c490458cd38a09086.jpg

Think this is misleading as having watched the incident several times courtesy of Sky I feel they both headed the ball at the same time, although you can see how Friend has launched himself at Doherty which is foul play.

Defend himself?

From the bloke who was up before him and beat him to the ball fairly. [emoji23]

It's not the worst challenge in the world from Doherty but it's clumsy and it's late, there's enough there to give it against him so can't see any point complaining about it.

I had recorded the game and rewatched it yesterday...My underpinning feeling about what I saw was, "George Friend, what an utter cunt you are"!
He was leaving his foot in as often as he could and just came across as an arsehole

I'll be astounded if Phil doesn't play RWB on Tuesday. I know he's not long back from injury but he's played 90 minutes for the 23's and generally is a fit lad and it won't be a problem for him to play imo. Anyone else plays there and it changes the dynamic of the position and i don't see the benefit in doing so.

I think we can play either Alf or MGW next to Saiss imo but after Leeds N'Diaye contributions have been pretty poor so Morgan might get his chance.

Defend himself?

From the bloke who was up before him and beat him to the ball fairly. [emoji23]

It's not the worst challenge in the world from Doherty but it's clumsy and it's late, there's enough there to give it against him so can't see any point complaining about it.

If you have ever played the game you know that if someone takes a running jump at you then you will need to use your arm to fend them off or they will most likely headbutt you. It's just my opinion, but I think Friend fouled Doherty.

MGW has played at cm a couple of times this season hasn't he? I'd rather him than Bennet at rwb tbh, with due respect to Hull, he won't be doing much defending.....I only remember Doc defending twice against Boro and both instances ending up getting him sent off

Hull have scored a lot of goals, conceding too many has been their problem.

If you have ever played the game you know that if someone takes a running jump at you then you will need to use your arm to fend them off or they will most likely headbutt you. It's just my opinion, but I think Friend fouled Doherty.
Your glasses must be like a welding mask they're so gold tinted.

There is no hint of a foul from Friend, he gets to the ball comfortably before Doherty who gets nowhere near the ball and catches Friend with the leading arm. I've played plenty of football and have never fouled anyone out of self defence, I don't even understand the notion. Friend wasn't even Jumping at Doherty was he? Weren't they running perpendicular to one another?

To be brutally frank, both sendings off were for two yellows so are unappealable anyway, so arguing the toss about them, other than agreeing that Attwell is a spectacular belmer, is basically a fruitless exercise.

We just need to put all our efforts into winning on Tuesday without those players, and I am sure that Nuno and the team will be doing that.

To be brutally frank, both sendings off were for two yellows so are unappealable anyway, so arguing the toss about them, other than agreeing that Attwell is a spectacular belmer, is basically a fruitless exercise.

We just need to put all our efforts into winning on Tuesday without those players, and I am sure that Nuno and the team will be doing that.

This. I don’t thibk we can have many complaints anyway - it was the lead up that bothered me!

I know people are keen to see Phil play but having taken so long to get fit I really don’t think Nuno will throw him in to an important league game. He’s played no competitive football at all and having finally done a 90 on Friday it would be a big risk to do so again Tuesday in a much more difficult environment

This. I don’t thibk we can have many complaints anyway - it was the lead up that bothered me!

I know people are keen to see Phil play but having taken so long to get fit I really don’t think Nuno will throw him in to an important league game. He’s played no competitive football at all and having finally done a 90 on Friday it would be a big risk to do so again Tuesday in a much more difficult environment

not really a risk - with all respect to Hull - it's hardly like he's going to get too much to do. let him do 60 minutes and then sub if need be.

not really a risk - with all respect to Hull - it's hardly like he's going to get too much to do. let him do 60 minutes and then sub if need be.

I just cant see Nuno doing that in his first senior game somehow. I think he's more likely to do the reverse: put him on the bench, start Vini and keep Phil as a Plan B. I'd be very surprised if he disrupted the team further by moving anyone from their customary position.

I just cant see Nuno doing that in his first senior game somehow. I think he's more likely to do the reverse: put him on the bench, start Vini and keep Phil as a Plan B. I'd be very surprised if he disrupted the team further by moving anyone from their customary position.

First senior game? The lad is 26. The only reason he won't play is because Nuno and the medical staff think that his body isn't ready for the intensity of a first team game.

I think that’s the opposite of Nuno’s mentality - underestimate no one!

possibly YW, but i'd be loathe to split up the current back 3, and its not like Bennett, Batth or Miranda are natural wing backs.

Back