• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Hull (H) 3/4 Build-up thread

Graham has played less football for us than Phil this year. If he was going to be an option he would have appeared on the bench by now. Clearly did not impress enough during the training in Spain when he returned from Fulham.

I think we should play either Douglas or Vinagre on the right. Keeping the back three as is, is more important.

As Penk says keeping our solid back 3 is really important and I would much rather someone who isn't quite ready but plays that position for 60 mins then comes off than someone out of position who cant defend. I don't take the "its only Hull" attitude, its massive game and could even be the one that all but seals promotion if results go our way today.

Phil has had 3 appearances on his way back including 90 mins in his last appearance, I remember Lescott coming back after barely kicking a ball and being out for much longer, it all depends on the individual. Phil is naturally quick so that will solve some of his problems relating to match fitness, its Phil all the way for me with Bennett replacing him when/if he needs to come off.

As for MGW in CM, again having seen him there several times I would worry about his lack of physical presence, hes brilliant further up the pitch but Costa is probably better at tackling and we wouldn't put him in CM. He may have done it for the kids & U23s but its a far less physical/intense level of football. I hope Saiss recovers and can play as hes hugely important to the way we want to play.

Costa was feeling his hamstring when he went off - was this to eat up the clock, or was it genuine?

Costa was feeling his hamstring when he went off - was this to eat up the clock, or was it genuine?
He was walking ok at the end so hopefully just trying to waste a bit of time. Would be such a blow to lose him now when hes come into such a good run of form.

Being able to watch wolves and then watch them again on the day we go back to work is the best thing about this Easter

He was walking ok at the end so hopefully just trying to waste a bit of time. Would be such a blow to lose him now when hes come into such a good run of form.

I got the impression it was just to justify a slow walk off the pitch

Definitely to eat up the clock. He may have had a bit of cramp but once he got off the pitch he was walking fine and stopped holding his hamstring and sat on the bench fine.

I'd start Phil as we need some attacking threat from the wing back. After he's dead on his feet, then bring on Hause, move Bennett out there and switch Boly to RCB. If Phil really isn't up to it then start this way. Wouldn't be totally averse to seeing Vini on the right though if Nuno thinks he has it in him.
Alf for Neves is easy.

I'd again be tempted to start Norris as again Ruddy was shaky but accepting this wont happen.

I think it will simply be Batth in, Bennett to RWB. There is very little chance of us risking Phil this early into his comeback by throwing him straight in.

I think the same, but having Bennett and Danny against a struggling team at home seems a real waste. Personally I would have Hause on the left and Boly on the right with Bennett at RWB, assuming German Phil isn't considered ready.

He's not going to swap Boly over to the right at this point, that is clearly the position he is most comfortable in. Miranda if we want a passer from the back but he wasn't even in the 18 yesterday was he?

No probably not, it's just Danny always seems a liability going forward - he has his plus points in games similar to Leeds where we expected and aerial bombardment, but that's it. Moving Bennett to RWB and bringing Danny in essentially means we have a much worse attacking threat from RWB and much more likely to lose the ball from RCB, it's a double loss.

Id play Vini on the right personally. Hull's full backs are terrible, get him and Helder running at the left back.

The only centre back we should consider at RWB would be Miranda. He's good on the ball and would offer more going forward and would mean Bennett stays at RCB

Miranda is sloooooowww.

I like the idea of Vini in at LWB and Douglas on the right, he could play the Beckham role with in swinging crosses from deep.

I start from the simple postion that the back 3 were magnificent last night and should not be changed. No way should Batth come back into the team. So it's Phil or MGW for me, unless we could win an appeal against Doc's red card? No way should we underestimate Hull, or any other team in the league.

Ruddy

Bennett Coady Boly

Vinagre Saïss N'Daiye Douglas

Costa Afobe Cavaleiro

SUBS: Norris, Batth, Hause, Gibbs-White, Bonatini, Gonçalves, Mir.

Back