• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Hull City 2 - 3 Wolves: Something about getting too excited...

Say we do get promoted and we sign all the players we have on options. Where do we start improving? Who do we think we could improve on?
Anywhere. At that point it will almost be a matter of just buying the best players available regardless of position.

Say we do get promoted and we sign all the players we have on options. Where do we start improving? Who do we think we could improve on?

You never can tell. I think with the pedigree of some of the Portuguese lads, they'd be fine (apart from between November and February, obviously) but beyond that you can't say definitively. Of all our players in 2009 I thought Foley would make the step up with the most ease. It didn't really go well for him. Craddock should have been rubbish at that level but he was arguably our best centre half for our entire stay. Hennessey ended up getting dropped in our first season (and was out of the team for pretty much an entire year) but Henry was a mainstay despite his limitations. Even though injuries came into it, Jarvis had a lot more impact than Kightly but Kites was by far the better player in the Championship. There are way worse forwards than SEB that have done ok in the PL - but it just never happened for him. If you'd asked in 2009 if Stephen Ward would still be a starting PL left back in 2017 then you wouldn't have got a favourable response.

The full 90 mins is available on WolvesTV for those that have it.

Didn't think this game was going to be available so well done them.

You never can tell. I think with the pedigree of some of the Portuguese lads, they'd be fine (apart from between November and February, obviously) but beyond that you can't say definitively. Of all our players in 2009 I thought Foley would make the step up with the most ease. It didn't really go well for him. Craddock should have been rubbish at that level but he was arguably our best centre half for our entire stay. Hennessey ended up getting dropped in our first season (and was out of the team for pretty much an entire year) but Henry was a mainstay despite his limitations. Even though injuries came into it, Jarvis had a lot more impact than Kightly but Kites was by far the better player in the Championship. There are way worse forwards than SEB that have done ok in the PL - but it just never happened for him. If you'd asked in 2009 if Stephen Ward would still be a starting PL left back in 2017 then you wouldn't have got a favourable response.

Good points, it is unpredictable. I am salivating at who'll we'll be linked with next summer if we get promoted

You can always improve, it's just a matter of budget

IMO it's not just budget. It's also about status of the club and the likelihood of success esp. in Europe and of course access to players, etc..

Watching that video of Neves, he reminds me of a young Roy Keane.

I've been trying to come up with a comparison for him and Xabi Alonso is about the closest I can come. In terms of finding space and passing/vision/technique, there's a lot there that reminds me of Scholes, but he can actually tackle.

Keane...well I voted him as my #1 in both our World XI and UK/Ire threads for a good reason. If Ruben can ever dominate games in the way he used to...

I think you have it bang on with Xabi. Very similar. If Ruben ends up that good then we have really hit the big time.

I doubt we will see much more than 2 seasons of Neves at Wolves.

If we go up this year then it will depend on next season I guess.

If we sell him he looks like he will be in the Lukaku value bracket minimum in terms of fee when that happens.

Ruben Neves could slot into Chelsea's midfield and wouldn't look out of place one bit. Incredible talent.

Comes across as a thoroughly decent young man too.

Realistically we'll need to be mistable next year and then hovering around the Europa league spaces at Christmas 2019 to keep him I think. Mental just writing it, but that's about it :icon_lol:

More like we'll have to make sure we're through to the knockout stages of the Europa at least, after qualifying end of this season by winning a cup...

I would take a point against Cardiff now if it guaranteed Neves didn't get crocked by a bad tackle

He's something else. We've known it for a while and now so does everyone else.

I've been trying to come up with a comparison for him and Xabi Alonso is about the closest I can come. In terms of finding space and passing/vision/technique, there's a lot there that reminds me of Scholes, but he can actually tackle.

Keane...well I voted him as my #1 in both our World XI and UK/Ire threads for a good reason. If Ruben can ever dominate games in the way he used to...

Xabi is my favorite player ever but even I can't pretend he'd score a goal like what Ruben did yesterday. He hit a couple of ridiculous strikes for Sociedad but not much more after that (I don't really count his two halfway goals for Liverpool in the same bracket).

Back