• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Good people of Britain...........PANIC

Unlikely if it's at the back of the house. Might come of the neighbours meter i suppose. Easy to see - turn it on and watch the small 'tell' wheel on the meter to see if it rotates.
I've turned the stopcock off at the meter before and that didn't shut off the outdoor tap but the one in the street does, so it's definitely on our supply rather than the neighbour's. I think it's a bit of a quirk of the old house and the way the land has been divided up, it was potentially a feed to an out building to begin with but that now belongs to our neighbour so I guess they just cut it off and put an outdoor tap at the new boundary. Then when the water meter was installed in the house it's at a point where the outdoor supply has already split off so now we've got a potentially unmetered outdoor tap.

I've turned the stopcock off at the meter before and that didn't shut off the outdoor tap but the one in the street does, so it's definitely on our supply rather than the neighbour's. I think it's a bit of a quirk of the old house and the way the land has been divided up, it was potentially a feed to an out building to begin with but that now belongs to our neighbour so I guess they just cut it off and put an outdoor tap at the new boundary. Then when the water meter was installed in the house it's at a point where the outdoor supply has already split off so now we've got a potentially unmetered outdoor tap.
Very poor if correct, sure it's not on a shared supply leading to a house behind?

No wonder leakage is so high!

Very poor if correct, sure it's not on a shared supply leading to a house behind?

No wonder leakage is so high!
Not from what I could see the other day when I was breaking some of the patio out, pipe just seems to come straight up at that point rather than a junction where it carries on to the neighbour. There's at least a couple of foot drop the other side of the fence to their access too and I don't think the pipe is deep enough to accommodate that.

Just appears to be a bodge job.

Plus - if a hosepipe ban kicks in (which is a serious possibility) a green lawn is a very clear indicator that the ban is being ignored.
I'm fucked then. Not a drop of water on my lawn and it is a lovely shade of green...

We're one a meter as well but the last time I checked we were over £500 in credit.

Does your meter go backwards? Five in my house and i'm paying £60 a month. The kids think I've lost the plot when I keep bollocking them to get out of the shower.

Does your meter go backwards? Five in my house and i'm paying £60 a month. The kids think I've lost the plot when I keep bollocking them to get out of the shower.
That's way too much unless they're showering for hours. Got a leaky toilet? One toilet can cost well over £300 a year just overflowing into the bowl.

That's way too much unless they're showering for hours. Got a leaky toilet? One toilet can cost well over £300 a year just overflowing into the bowl.

After about ten minutes I'm knocking on the door and the reply is normally "Im just washing my hair." Ive tried to educate them to get wet, turn shower off, lather up, rinse but they never listen.

I'll get my bic razor on em before long.

No leaking toilets.

After about ten minutes I'm knocking on the door and the reply is normally "Im just washing my hair."

No leaking toilets.
That's still way too much, more than 200lt per person per day. Unless you've got mental power showers there's something somewhere wrong.

That is excessive, are you paying by DD? If so have you checked your account? I only did as I needed printed copies for the bank otherwise I'd have never known I was in credit.

After about ten minutes I'm knocking on the door and the reply is normally "Im just washing my hair." Ive tried to educate them to get wet, turn shower off, lather up, rinse but they never listen.

No leaking toilets.

Have you had a waterfall fitted in your bathroom? Or are you washing in a fresh hot tub?

Slightly on topic, what's banging noises when your neighbour uses their outdoor tap, but the banging sounds more like it's from our house!

Think yourself lucky. I pay £94 and there's only me lives here! South West Water, innit?

Think yourself lucky. I pay £94 and there's only me lives here! South West Water, innit?
No! SWW aren't cheap, but unless you're on rateable value no way should you be paying that much.

Do the check i posted above, I'd imagine you're paying double what you should be.

Is it normal?
Yep, doesn't usually cause an issue on small pipes. Opening and closing the tap slowly stops it
Modern taps work round it by restricting flow.

Last edited:
Just had our first rainfall in weeks. People actually coming out of their offices to look at it. :icon_lol:

Back