• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Fans Against VAR - Join us

As I’ve said, that’s just a personal opinion.

I’m not dead set against VAR, I’m just becoming more and more disillusioned with it. I think in certain circumstances it’s really effective, but in others, not so much.

Maybe the PGMOL need to sit down and do a ‘pro’s and cons’ list 🤣
I'd worry they'd run out of ink for the cons list ;)

"take the L"

I hope for your sake you've older than 12.

You must be getting used to "Taking L's" this season mate.
That'll be the way to endear yourself to this forum.

Fuck your campaign it'll fail miserably.

That'll be the way to endear yourself to this forum.

Fuck your campaign it'll fail miserably.
A bit like all of your arguments on this thread then.

Maybe it will fail miserably, exactly like VAR ever since its inception (y)

Hmmm. Just a thought. If you want people to get on board, throwing insults around isn’t the best way to do it.

If only it wasn't complete bullshit.

TLdr; VAR has raised correct decision making from 91% to 98%. That figure is beyond statistical significance btw.

Not Howard Webb's stats as a frequently incorrect poster on this subject asserted yesterday.

What hasn't been quantified is the changes in behaviour, less diving, less offsides, less off the ball shenanigans, less dirty fouls and dangerous tackles.

Throwing it all in the bin because somebody thinks (wrongly) it was better in the old days is batshit to me. Just improve the people using it and more importantly the people on the pitch.
So the question is "has VAR made the game 6% more enjoyable?"

The game was far more fun pre-Var, however those days are gone - so the only real possibility is to work out how to actually make VAR work.

That just sounds a bit playground. You did similar with me at first, although we seem to play nicely now!

Just think if you want to build traction you need to think about how you are engaging, especially with those that don’t agree. That’s all.

So the question is "has VAR made the game 6% more enjoyable?"

The game was far more fun pre-Var, however those days are gone - so the only real possibility is to work out how to actually make VAR work.
It really wasn't more fun as Bear pointed out, but that is subjective.

It's not the 7% difference in decisions as there could only be a 9% increase anyway. It's the increase to less than 2% of decisions wrong that is important compared to 9%.

That's a huge difference.

And there is the improvement in behaviour too. That is certainly an improvement on the viewing experience imo.

Plenty of flaws with it as has been pointed out. But it is factually correct to say we have significantly less incorrect decisions than before VAR's introduction.

I think the most important but in that post was the word "subjective" the correctness of decisions is often subjective (even with the hours of experience we've all got watching games we don't all always agree on decisions) and the choice of football with/without VAR is a choice.

Either way, what we have now isn't working.

That just sounds a bit playground. You did similar with me at first, although we seem to play nicely now!

Just think if you want to build traction you need to think about how you are engaging, especially with those that don’t agree. That’s all.
You're right there.

It is frustrating when I hear the same pro-VAR arguments all the time. It's been going years now and fans still come out with classics like
"It works in Europe"
"It's not VAR, its the refs!" (VAR is and always will be run by refs)

I'm sympathetic to people who think VAR can be improved. I agree. I will always be against it because for me it will always ruin that beautiful "Magic" of scoring a goal and the elation the player feels and the stadium. There have been players saying they don't feel like they can celebrate anymore, despite some people telling me it makes no odds to people.

A margin of error for offsides is so obviously needed, the joyless "offside is offside" brigade I believe are a tiny, tiny minority of matchgoing fans.

We will never be able to "fix" VAR getting penalties, red cards/ handballs "wrong", because, although fans don't like to think think this way, the laws of the game are subject to interpretation.

@Quirkafleeg I don't really post on forums usually so I couldn't tell you. The kind of attitude of Jonny is similar to things I've heard throughout the years, unusually though Jonny's arguments usually come from fans who watch from their armchair. I can't think of the numerous conversations I've had with matchgoing fans over the years of one who has no concerns that VAR isn't ruining at least some of the magic of football.

I imagine every forum will have abrasive posters. I must fall into the same category too as I'm really passionate. I posted on this forum as I have so many Wolves fans on board and Wolves (seem to me) to be the most severely impacted by the incompetence of VAR.

It's easy to get more things correct when you are marking your own homework. The study put up earlier is one on VAR in general, not in the PL and therefore not what Webb refers to when he says they are getting more decisions correct. The Luton penalty was the correct decision according to him, so I'm not surprised standards are improving in his eyes

It's easy to get more things correct when you are marking your own homework. The study put up earlier is one on VAR in general, not in the PL and therefore not what Webb refers to when he says they are getting more decisions correct. The Luton penalty was correct according to him
Correct according to Webb but not according to IFAB

Back