• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Fans Against VAR - Join us

Nothing will get better what happened today will be coated over as the right decision because of the high bar. It can then be portrayed as the system working when presenting stats and facts for people justifying their jobs.

The officials are shit, so let's let the same officials make it even more shit. That feels more like denial than a solution. Not aimed specifically at you, but trying to divorce VAR from PGMOL is quite frankly bizarre imo. This is what it is, so you accept this version or none at all. I'm firmly in the camp of the latter, even though its not going to happen
I’m sorry but that is nonsensical.

Nothing will get better what happened today will be coated over as the right decision because of the high bar. It can then be portrayed as the system working when presenting stats and facts for people justifying their jobs.
They haven't even bothered to explain the Newcastle penalty, so they won't bother with this one today.

It still looks like a clumsy challenge to me, Hwang pulled out, Fabio didn't, that's a huge difference to me.

However given that I'm in a huge minority I can accept I'm wrong.
I do agree there's a difference in terms of the movements of our players. The thing which is consistent though is both opposition players are going down before any contact.

And at best he’s brushed his calf. They always say the bar is higher for a foul in the area. Is this “enough in it for a penalty”, the line we get when we’re down the other end.

Free shot from 12 yards in the last minute for fuck all.

Do you accept it's a shocker now then?
It's a shocker from the referee who gave the penalty. The bloke on VAR has done nothing wrong as there isn't enough evidence from the camera angles to overturn it.

So do you want all referees still to have the final stay?

It's a shocker from the referee who gave the penalty. The bloke on VAR has done nothing wrong as there isn't enough evidence from the camera angles to overturn it.

Referees have the final say in every league below the Premier League in England and fans are grown up enough to deal with that.

Also, referees still have the final say, just different ones sat in a box miles away.

Yes, I've been consistent about that and that our 4 shockers would still have happened without VAR. The whole premise of it is getting the correct decision if it doesn't then what's the point?

I disagree that the evidence wasn't there yesterday, it was, just not in the way it's interpreted. You could see he dived on the slow mo before the penalty was finally given, but because they choose to police it with the clear and obvious rubbish you have VAR looking at reasons why it should be given, rather than whether it should. They want to support the onfield decision, not come to the correct one. That's why all 4 onfield decisions stayed against us. It's lurched from rerefeeering the game which it did in it's first season, like giving a penalty for the Mahrez dive against us to can we find a way to make that decision correct

As for getting more decisions correct, it finds things that people never had a problem with in the first place. There are offsides given after 3 or 4 minutes which may be correct in a technical sense, but I don't recall complaints about those prior to it's implementation. It was supposed to fix the howlers, not microscopically deconstruct the game.

Last edited:
What VAR is undeniably showing is that if you want to reach a certain level of accuracy and consistency at the elite level then the current refereeing profession is not up to it. their judgement level is far too low. realistically how far off is AI use?

Yes, I've been consistent about that and that our 4 shockers would still have happened without VAR. The whole premise of it is getting the correct decision if it doesn't then what's the point?

I disagree that the evidence wasn't there yesterday, it was, just not in the way it's interpreted. You could see he dived on the slow mo before the penalty was finally given, but because they choose to police it with the clear and obvious rubbish you have VAR looking at reasons why it should be given, rather than why it shouldn't. They want to support the onfield decision, not come to the correct one. That's why all 4 onfield decisions stayed against us. It's lurched from rerefeeering the game which it did in it's first season, like giving a penalty for the Mahrez dive against us to can we find a way to make that decision correct

As for getting more decisions correct, it finds things that people never had a problem with in the first place. There are offsides given after 3 or 4 minutes which may be correct in a technical sense, but I don't recall complaints about those prior to it's implementation. It was supposed to fix the howlers, not microscopically deconstruct the game.
This may be the most wrong you've ever been.

I'm not going to change your mind. You don't want the tech, that's fine, your prerogative.

I'll bow out of this thread as nobody is going to change anybody else's mind.

I know this is going to be viewed as a bit naive, but if we went all the way back to basics, a foul is a foul, a bad foul or cynical foul is a yellow. that's it, but if either of them are in the box it's a penalty.
It really seems as though we've twisted it all to a finite definition, was there any contact? etc. etc..
If Fabio's 'tackle' and Hwang's 'tackle' were outside the box, there would not have been a foul whistled.
And possibly if VAR was doing its job properly, a yellow might have bee awarded for diving.

realistically how far off is AI use?
AI still need a the output reviewed by a skilled professional so it's a none starter 😂

Joking aside, AI isn't yet in a position that it can run and provide consistently accurate responses without a human reviewing and monitoring the output.

AI still need a the output reviewed by a skilled professional so it's a none starter 😂

Joking aside, AI isn't yet in a position that it can run and provide consistently accurate responses without a human reviewing and monitoring the output.
I guess would need more camera coverage across stadia as well. I think the EPL could afford it so I could still see it happening. They can’t enjoy constant accusations of corruption due to refereeing incompetence.

Well best not to take paid trips out to ref in the oil states in the week before contentious decisions favour Manchester City and Newcastle then

Shouldn't Howard Webb be telling Rob Jones he's wrong?

It's not a lot to expect referees at this level to be expert adjudicators of the threshold for a penalty kick

Back