• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

FA Cup

I don't think anything should be done to those fielding weakened sides, but it is a saddening sign of the times.

Don't agree.

Managers should be free to pick whoever they want. Having the FA or whoever telling you who you can or can't play is wrong.

If Liverpool lose then that is their punishment, just like Bournemouth did yesterday after 11 changes.

Agreed - if they cock up then their own fault, but their decision.

Given their position in the league suspect that this is not the biggest priority for them at the moment

Don't agree.

Managers should be free to pick whoever they want. Having the FA or whoever telling you who you can or can't play is wrong.

If Liverpool lose then that is their punishment, just like Bournemouth did yesterday after 11 changes.
The above.

In an ideal world, the big sides will play a full strength line up in all competitions but it should never reach the stage where managers told who they can and can't play and penalised if it doesn't suit the powers that be.

I've bloody loved the FA Cup this season though - mainly due to Stourbridge's heroics (I've never seen the town come together like that before) and then seeing our lot not only compete but get a very impressive result yesterday.

That would be a horrible draw.

Oxford away, please.

Agree another Championship side - home or away - would be the worst outcome.

A big Premier team would be OK, but would rather leave them till later in the competition.

The winner of AFC Wimbledon or Sutton would be good - away would take me back to my old stamping ground as went to Kingsmeadow many times & worked in Sutton for 4 yrs

Be quite happy with a "glamour tie" I'd like a cup run but at least against a big club thers no pressure.
On the subject of big teams fielding weakened 11's, I'm against any kind of rules or sanctions to make managers pick anything other than the team they want but I admit it must be a pisser if you're a fan of "minnows" and pay good money to see the superstars and then they turn up with the 2nd team

Be quite happy with a "glamour tie" I'd like a cup run but at least against a big club thers no pressure.
On the subject of big teams fielding weakened 11's, I'm against any kind of rules or sanctions to make managers pick anything other than the team they want but I admit it must be a pisser if you're a fan of "minnows" and pay good money to see the superstars and then they turn up with the 2nd team

Then again Stoke didn't really - still got beat

Liverpool pay for the team they put out with the worst outcome for them....another game.

On the flip side - Plymouth now have a game v Liverpool at home. Sell out crowd + possible TV money

Talk of punishing teams for fielding 'weakened' sides is ridiculous. We all remember McCarthy's team away at United and the pathetic media furore afterwards don't we? Managers should be free to pick whomever they want as long as they're registered at the club.

Talk of punishing teams for fielding 'weakened' sides is ridiculous. We all remember McCarthy's team away at United and the pathetic media furore afterwards don't we? Managers should be free to pick whomever they want as long as they're registered at the club.

Plus we got fined for that one - no idea why as at least half of them played a significant number of games in that season

Plus we got fined for that one - no idea why as at least half of them played a significant number of games in that season

The season after Blackpool got fined for the same thing even though they beat Villa (I think) 3-2 away. Madness.

Virtually the entire football world knew we shouldn't have been fined. It was a load of shite. But it was a league game not a cup game so we were always more vulnerable.

Picking Matt Hill and the Hoff was clearly a step too far for the PL.

If we now accept that modern football is a squad game then a manager should be able to pick whosoever they wish without fear the fa will sanction them.

I can hear Villa singing a song to the same tune as "Stevie Bull's a tatter" It made me think how many other teams sing about one of their players to the same tune?

I can't remember when or where, but I've heard it as
"[insert player name] is magic, he wears a magic hat"
sometimes followed by
"He saw the FA cup, and said I'm having that"

Back