• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

FA Cup

Cup competitions are what they are.

No one used to say managers were devaluing the league.

Clubs are going to play their best players in the most lucrative competition. Plus, cups give young players a chance of competitive experience which is scarce at the top clubs

I'm looking for a home tie against Man Utd or Liverpool if they get through.

5,000 at Cardiff v Fulham is pretty shocking isn't it

Cardiff City manager Neil Warnock says he "struggled to get out of bed" for their FA Cup third-round defeat by Fulham.

Only 5,199 watched Cardiff lose 2-1 at home in a third-round televised tie which kicked off at 11:30 GMT.

Warnock made five changes to his team and lamented the sparse crowd as a sign of the FA Cup's declining status.

"I don't think it's just the 11:30 kick-off, it's the FA Cup in general," he said.

"When you look back to last week's game against Villa - 20,000 and the atmosphere and the way we played - it's almost a backward step.

"I struggled to get out of bed and I must admit I wasn't really excited at the prospect of playing the side I'd got to play in the FA Cup. I knew the crowd would be low and I just hoped the fans would be alright with me, and they have been."

The Bluebirds boss admitted Cardiff's Championship fixtures took priority but says the competition struggles to attract much incentive from some Premier League teams.

Top-flight Bournemouth made 11 changes for their 3-0 defeat at Millwall, while Liverpool made 10 changes against Plymouth and Tottenham made nine for their match against Aston Villa.

"It's just how it is at the minute. People have other priorities, which is sad," he said.

"That [the crowd] is a thousand more than I expected when I saw the kick-off.

"Until they make it a Champions League place if they win the FA Cup, you're going to get that with all the bottom half of the Premier League teams."

Warnock says such decisions are an example of the FA Cup's standing among clubs who fear relegation struggles that could harm finances in the long-term.

"The money that's around is quite immoral at times, and the FA Cup unfortunately takes a backseat," said Warnock.

Cardiff are 19th in the Championship table and not yet safe from relegation, prompting Warnock to rest several first-team players against Fulham.

Having led Sheffield United to the FA Cup semi-finals in 2003, the 68-year-old has experienced success in the competition.

With an important Championship fixture away at rivals Bristol City on Saturday. 15 January to prepare for, Warnock felt he had to make sacrifices against Fulham.

"It went pretty as much as I expected it to be really, if that's being a little bit negative," he added.

"I think it's a sad aspect when you play a weakened team like I have.

Maybe Colin should refund those 5,000 people out of his own pocket if he can't be fucking arsed doing his job, the absolute bellend.

Also his current hairline unsettles me. You can see what he'd look like if he were totally bald even though he isn't bald. Plus his eyebrows seem to have been deleted.

Neil-Warnock.jpg

Colin was on 5live before the game - recorded last week saying stuff like if he was a Cardiff fan he wouldn't go to the game, he hopes the fans have a large breakfast to make it worth their while coming out etc so although I don't agree with it those that went can't say they didn't know what they were getting.

Just knowing our luck we'll get Brighton or Newcastle away.

Great shame about the FA Cup. We had three FA Cup semis in just 8 seasons in the Richards/Hibbitt era, and 2 League Cup titles. Plus the UEFA Cup final to start it off.

Those were the memories. No one remembers or cares about our league form during that period.

No reason at all that we can't get to the quarters if we don't draw a top six club away.

just looking at a post elsewhere of footage of quarter final late 90's v Leeds.
what a defence - Muscat, Williams, Curle, Richards & Naylor, and forward line of Freedman, Goodman & Bull, with Keane as sub.

Maybe Colin should refund those 5,000 people out of his own pocket if he can't be $#@!ing arsed doing his job, the absolute bellend.

Also his current hairline unsettles me. You can see what he'd look like if he were totally bald even though he isn't bald. Plus his eyebrows seem to have been deleted.

Neil-Warnock.jpg

EH? resting players cos he has Bristol on the 15th?
So Colin are you going to rest players on the 15th because you have Burton at home on the 21st???
fucking idiot.

FFS stop pissing around and just get on with the draw.

Wolves will play Plymouth or Liverpool away

If it's Liverpool we'll be on tv at least.

Almost got the one I wanted - 1 number off the Wimbledon/Sutton replay

Come on Argyle or let's hope Klopp plays the second string

What's up with Owen's stupid smirk?

Assuming it's Liverpool, If Klopp continues to pick kids I'd expect us to get a draw at the worst. They have Chelsea the following Tuesday so every likelihood he will.

Back