• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Coronavirus

Bloody hell.

All three are awful.

Went to Cineworld last night (all fine, all the protocols in place, busy enough). Now looks like they're closing back down completely in the coming days.

Went to Cineworld last night (all fine, all the protocols in place, busy enough). Now looks like they're closing back down completely in the coming days.
Yep. Closing all cinemas in UK and Ireland.

Not so much to do with safety, more that all the big films keep getting pushed back. Pretty much all that's been released is Tenet and Bill & Ted...

Yep. Closing all cinemas in UK and Ireland.

That just doesn't make any sense (again) if we're trying to keep as many businesses going and helping with peoples mental health by normalising where we can, Cinema has to be one of the easiest social activities to make covid secure? I understand there'd nothing new coming out but surely there'd be enough classic films to re-show to entice film buffs in

Report on the BBC says cineworld are mothballing all cinemas and making 5500 people redundant, telling them to reapply when normality returns

Nearly 23000 cases reported positive today although some are from other days over the last week not counted. 12000 not passed through to contact tracing.

Dido and her team at Serco test and trace doing a wonderful job and we should get behind them all and stop sniping from the sidelines.

Last edited:
Latest advice to stop the spread from Boris - Go to the Cinema (obvs not Cineworld though)

Latest advice to stop the spread from Boris - Go to the Cinema (obvs not Cineworld though)

....or the Odeon during the week.

Wolverhampton's figures are now below many places in the country who aren't in lock down. Will the restrictions be lifted?

This Excel thing beggars belief, you wouldn't expect such a balls up from a relatively competent basic admin assistant in a bog standard office. You just need to know how Excel works FFS.

The emphasis at the moment seems to be on the various, almost daily fuck ups and that's totally understandable. But surely attention has to be turned at some point to the total lack of any kind of overarching strategy?

I mean what is our plan at the moment? At the moment it seems suspiciously like hiding under a pile of coats and hoping it turns out ok. We've had seven months of this now and yet we don't appear to have learned very much at all at Governmental level. There's no roadmap, no "this is how we get from here to here to here to normality(ish)", it's almost hour by hour policy let alone day by day. At best you get a ludicrous boast about how well we've done (we haven't) or Johnson himself issuing a crazy promise that will never even come to pass (and everyone knows this now, even the most fanatical Tories, so no-one at all believes him). His current thing is "it'll be better by the spring", will it? Show us how and why, give us the modelling to show that, tell us where we might expect to see the kind of trends that allow us to gradually get back to doing A/B/C. Without that then it's hard to see anyone trusting them if they say again "it's ok, go back to the office, it's safe" because we've already been there once and it was manifestly a total fuck up that they had to reverse inside weeks.

I know it's a natural consequence of having someone who's totally winged it all his life in nominal charge, while he's advised by a freak who thinks reading a quarter of a book on any subject makes him the world authority on it, but come on. This is absolutely miles off. If this really is going to be a tough, "bumpy" or whatever term you want to throw at it winter, let us know what's probably going to go on. You cannot have a situation where people are constantly wondering from week to week, day to day even if they're suddenly going to be subject to all kind of limitations with zero warning and zero rationale presented to them. Give us specifics on where we are with a vaccine, clear plans on what's going to happen (that doesn't mean half-leaking it to the FT, and in fact that as a strategy needs to fucking stop - Parliament is where you announce policy, not Twitter or the papers).

People need a degree of security after as I say, SEVEN months of this. Spontaneity and off the cuff thinking have their values, but not now.

They're giving local authorities less than an hours warning of increased restrictions being implemented. Expecting them to give the populace a road map, when they can't even give huge statutory bodies that need to work with them and implement their policies a vague idea, or the decency to consult with them prior to the announcements is very optimistic.

It's ineffective fire fighting. They agree the party line by the day, based on opinion polls of how yesterdays announcements went down.

They aren't even really addressing the issue at their online conference FFS.

I'm trying to have some optimism, it's all I've got :D

If you dig deep enough on the labyrinth that is gov.uk, you can find sort of what their "plan" is but it's not worth the bandwidth.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...n-framework-a-guide-for-local-decision-makers

Straight away:

Six principles support effective implementation of an integrated national and local system:

- the primary responsibility is to make the public safe

- build on public health expertise and use a systems approach

- be open with data and insight so everyone can protect themselves and others

- build consensus between decision-makers to secure trust, confidence and consent

- follow well-established emergency management principles

- consider equality, economic, social and health-related impacts of decisions

1. I'll give them that one, even as a Tory and especially Boris/Cummings hater, they aren't actively trying to kill people (this time)

2. Doesn't seem so, quite a few times this hasn't applied

3. Nope, absolutely not

4. Doesn't seem so, particularly when consulting with devolved governments and local councils

5. This is pretty vague, maybe you are, I'd need to know what they are

6. Well sometimes yes and sometimes no

If you can't follow your own brief, then you'd best start again. And get someone else to write it. And try communicating it rather than hiding it away while you flat out lie and obfuscate every single fucking day. Because I will follow guidelines for the short-term benefit of everyone if they're clear and make sense. I doubt I will if you're fucking lying to me and/or I'm doing it for no good reason.

I did want to applaud your optimism by the way :) I wish I shared it.

I think the bigger issue is the consistent undermining of their own message.

Back in march, when it became abundantly clear what was happening, the vast majority followed the official advice. We could see things were bad, and the risk to others. We took on a responsibility to protect others, ourselves, and important state institutions (the NHS). For pretty much 9 weeks people followed the official guidance.

But as time has passed, the trust in the powers that be has been consistently eroded by their own actions. Given it became very much "do as we say, not as we do. Our rules don't apply to us..." the public has decided it is unfair and unreasonable for us to have to follow rules that those in and close to the government expect everyone else to follow, but not adhere to themselves. This is compounded when they repeatedly make exceptions for vested interests that contradict their edicts or blasé statements.

What you've quoted probably wasn't written by, or even approved by anyone within the government. It was more likely done by the civil service, and people who also promoted such guidance are likely promoting working within that framework. But this government is so inconsistent, that it flip flops repeatedly, not caring how what they say today undermines or contradicts what they said yesterday or last week. There isn't a single person who doesn't look like the work experience school pupil trotted out and showing the are way out of their depth. Hancock, Raab, Sharma, Williamson, Jenryck all look woeful. Sunack is losing some of his initial appeal. They're actively hiding Patel, Rees Mogg, and to a great extent Boris and Gove.

It's a government without substance or spine.

I worry that so many are making decisions based on how they anticipate it will impact their career. If this situation continues to go as badly as it has in recent months, and we are only around the halfway stage now, there could be some real discontent.

Yes, the personnel leaves us an a hiding to nothing, unless they take notice of people who actually know what they're doing. It's the worst Cabinet in living memory, there's so little talent there. But I just don't think we can afford to sit there and hope it gets better while they sort of half-tinker round the edges (which does nothing other than seriously annoy whoever they affect with measures that don't do anything meaningful), then their only other option is a fairly nuclear one of going back to national lockdown, probably an even stricter one than March-June and make it relatively short term (2-4 weeks, probably).

You can't keep treating people like this, I'm on edge every day trying to see if anything has changed.

Like you say, a few weeks, people went along with it (far more than they expected them to), but this is seven months. You can't be telling me now that this - checking news tickers all over the place all day, random new policies being announced all over the place with no scrutiny, indefinite measures applied to areas with no prospect of them ever being lifted (why is Wolverhampton still under a limited form of lockdown given the figures?) - is it for the next 3-4 months and then er, we'll just see. That's fucking shit, man.

If I ran my working life like that I'd have an income of £0.

All this year I have been willing to cut some slack for every national government. Nobody knew exactly what was going to happen; and if the medical experts could not agree on how to prevent the spread, then there is no way we could expect politicians to agree. It remained difficult to contain as the number of cases has gone up and down, down and up, in basically every country of the world.

But after all these months any reasonable person would expect their government to have some command of the situation together with a well communicated and agreed on strategy for how to achieve their goals. Something more than a series of panic measure responses.

It has to start with openness, honesty, and competence. That's why the UK and US have screwed it up so much.

The Firs at Castlecroft;

Are you bored with working from home? Same view every day, no one to chat to at the coffee machine? We’re offering Pub Desks from 12 noon.

It’s a table to yourself or for up to 4 people with access to high speed Wi-fi plus plug sockets for 3 hours!

Plus unlimited tea and coffee plus a sandwich all for £10 per person!

Book now on...

The Firs at Castlecroft;

Are you bored with working from home? Same view every day, no one to chat to at the coffee machine? We’re offering Pub Desks from 12 noon.

It’s a table to yourself or for up to 4 people with access to high speed Wi-fi plus plug sockets for 3 hours!

Plus unlimited tea and coffee plus a sandwich all for £10 per person!

Book now on...
Thats a really good idea, might give that a whirl!

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Back