• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Coronavirus

Keep trying. We had this yesterday and after a lot of refreshing, we were able to get a slot in Worcester. Cannock was also available later on.

Test results back: NEGATIVE

Thank fuck for that!

So not really any practical difference at all, then? (It was 6 outside and 2 households inside before, I thnk.) I don't see what the fuss is about then, or how this is supposed to reduce infections.

These were the old rules:

At present, the rules allow up to 30 people from two households, or six from multiple households, to meet outdoors.

Yes, I listened to Hancock this morning and he explicitly said families like us coudl only meet one other person (including grandparents) when together.

Yes, a friend has just shared on Facebook that he was due to go on holiday with wife, three kids and her parents next week, the campsite has contacted them saying if they can't prove they're all from the same household then one will have to miss out or their reservation will be cancelled.

These were the old rules:

That's right. But the spread is apparently being driven by young people gathering in groups and not socially distancing, which is illegal now anyway, so I can't see that this new 'rule of six' is going to make much difference. I think it's more a reminder than anything. Smoke and mirrors.

Having a (very socially distanced) committee meeting for the bowls club tomorrow (11 members) - allowed then but wouldn't be on Monday (needed as not met since June & things that need sorting)

Not sure we are any less risk tomorrow than 3 days later, but who am I to argue with the science

Having a (very socially distanced) committee meeting for the bowls club tomorrow (11 members) - allowed then but wouldn't be on Monday (needed as not met since June & things that need sorting)

Not sure we are any less risk tomorrow than 3 days later, but who am I to argue with the science

OK, so how does that meeting comply with the present 'two households or six people' rule? Or have I got that wrong?

OK, so how does that meeting comply with the present 'two households or six people' rule? Or have I got that wrong?

Current rules until Monday are a max of 30 at a social distance in 'communal places' - think that the rules inside individual homes are more restrictive as this seems to be where the increase is coming from

We’ve been given the go ahead for Air Cadets to restart. Same rules as school but we’re allowed bubbles of up to 15 Cadets and Up to 4 members of staff. We have a large parade hall with 4 class rooms so it won’t be a problem to keep social distancing. Really looking forward to getting back but us uniform staff have to go in and sort out the set up for sanitisation areas, spacing in the classes and the teaching program etc including risk assessments

We haven’t got a vaccine for the common cold so what makes people think that COVID will be an easier solve?

No one is spending billions on a cold vaccine as it doesn’t kill people.

We haven’t got a vaccine for the common cold so what makes people think that COVID will be an easier solve?

No two 'common colds' are the same virus; that's why there's no vaccine. Same for 'the' flu. It's a different vaccine every year.

We’ve been given the go ahead for Air Cadets to restart. Same rules as school but we’re allowed bubbles of up to 15 Cadets and Up to 4 members of staff. We have a large parade hall with 4 class rooms so it won’t be a problem to keep social distancing. Really looking forward to getting back but us uniform staff have to go in and sort out the set up for sanitisation areas, spacing in the classes and the teaching program etc including risk assessments

Don't envy you - if I was still working in a school would have been my job to work out how the feck we got them all in and separated in relevant bubbles (plus finding the money to pay for what we needed)

PM me if you want any help with the RAs. I've done some for a few clients over the last few months.

Cheers Phil. I need to sort one myself for The Air Rifle Range detailing cleaning of the weapons, assigning one weapon per cadet etc. I will be getting one of the generic Cadet RA’s that I have to amend to suit. I’ll send a copy over to you when I do if that’s ok mate? I will be going in blind as not really done this sort of thing before

Cheers Phil. I need to sort one myself for The Air Rifle Range detailing cleaning of the weapons, assigning one weapon per cadet etc. I will be getting one of the generic Cadet RA’s that I have to amend to suit. I’ll send a copy over to you when I do if that’s ok mate? I will be going in blind as not really done this sort of thing before
No worries Mike. I'll pm you my addy.

Because the "common cold" is actually a wide mix of different viruses, many of which mutate faster than any possible vaccine development could keep up. A decent amount of money is spent on researching whether there might be a way to collectively target them all, but it's not that much compared to more pressing (or lucrative, like eg hair loss) things people need treated. The flu is similar to the cold, but while we do have a vaccine every year it also mutates fast enough to make keeping up difficult - you have to commit in advance to what you think this year's major strains are going to be, and if you make a mistake then you get a more serious flu season.

One thing a lot of people might not know is that the Spanish Flu never actually went away. It just became less deadly over time and eventually became just another part of the cocktail that makes up seasonal, generic "flu". Same with the recent swine and bird flus that also were much more dangerous at first. But it doesn't always happen that strains become less dangerous over time, or less prevalent, or easier to contain - Spanish Flu became much deadlier after its first wave, then it became less so, for one example. But one benefit of earlier coronaviruses from recent years is that there were a number of existing candidate vaccine strains that could be pulled off the shelf and tweaked for COVID-19. There's no way progress would have been as quick as it has been otherwise. Yet we are still kind of praying it'll work... I read somewhere that the fastest start-to-finish vaccine pipeline ever, rushed as fast as possible, was still something like 4-5 years start to finish.

Dunno how true it is, but have heard that the test slots are uploaded at around 8pm each evening. Home kits no longer being sent out as the vast majority are inconclusive, as people who aren't trained on how to do the test effectively don't push them back far enough.

BBC reporting children under 12 not counted in the rule of six..?

Back