• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Coronavirus

I do feel some sympathy for the government - our whole economy is driven by consumption. Cut that off and the results will be much worse than that caused by COVID.

If people could actually respect social distancing, wear masks and rake sensible precautions then there is no reason why some semblance of normality could not return.

Its this bit that is key, along with basic hygiene. As soon as lock down restrictions were lifted slightly it was noticeable how many people decided that it must be all over. There are that many non-mask wearers when I've ventured out I'm not sure if I'm still in a minority for wearing one.

I'm also having to come off social media as if I see one more 'its like wearing a condom to a baby shower' then my head will explode. Its really not, perhaps after getting someone pregnant you should really start thinking about the consequences of unprotected sex and maybe start wearing a condom before you impregnate every female you see and indeed male as this is a virus not a weak as shit analogy.

There are that many non-mask wearers when I've ventured out I'm not sure if I'm still in a minority for wearing one.

At the moment though wearing one outside isn't mandatory is it, so the majority of people will leave them off. From what I have seen a very high % of people are wearing them in shops and haven't seen anyone moan about having to do it (apart from on the varius Social Media outlets and most of that is just noise)

I meant when I've been shopping, albeit limited. There was no one in my Co-op wearing one on Friday when I went in

Ah ok, then you live in an area with a lot of selfish fuckwits then

Yes, it would appear that way, it also raises questions over peoples ability to follow basic instructions intended to protect them and others.

I've not seen anyone inside a shop without a mask since Thursday.
The most concerning thing I've noticed (only seen reports online) is the abuse people who can't wear mask are getting, not sure how you get round that without hanging a big label round their necks saying what their issues are

Popped into Tesco Express near me last night (with mask on) and 50% of the people in there weren't wearing one.

Popped into Tesco Express near me last night (with mask on) and 50% of the people in there weren't wearing one.

Should really tell your good lady to wear one when shopping...

the hashtag #nomaskselfie has been trending too. Sad state of affairs really.

I've not been to a main supermarket since Friday, but have been to the Co op a couple of times. Most people were wearing masks I saw a couple who weren't (not together). They were both in their early twenties

On the holidays thing, important too, to remember that booking sites crashed due to overwhelming demand as soon as they "re-opened".

went to do a small shop (bread, milk, perishables) thursday, as our masks hadn't arrived. First order arrived sat, and 2nd order is dispatched on 7 august.
when out walking see a lot of people on buses not wearing them. Usually on the top deck. Assuming they wear them to get on, then take them off asap.

Are we shaming people for wanting a degree of normality after a lockdown here?

As long as they follow the rules in place in the country they are visiting (Spain pretty strict on mask wearing and hand washing for example) if they are told "if you want to go on a trip, then you can" its their choice. Just because you wouldn't do it doesn't mean no one else should.

(for the record I haven't booked a trip out of the UK but have booked a couple of nights away in the Yorkshire Dales in September because I have lost 2 holidays, a house move so far and I am going fucking insane)

One of my colleagues will be coming back to self quarantine. He booked his holiday last year and had been watching to see if the advice had changed, without which they would not refund him if he cancelled, so unless he fancied walking away from the cost of a family holiday he didn't have much choice. I know he wasn't really keen on going for this reason.

Young and old without masks and all inbetween. I should qualify that this was Wolverhampton. We popped out to the Peak district on Saturday and I can't say that I noticed anyone not wearing one when they should have been

Not my intention (can't speak for others). I accept that there will be some genuine cases adversely affected, but my instinct is the people who rushed to go abroad are more likely to be those willing to engage in riskier behavior. I was astonished to learn that 600,000 people are on holiday in spain at the mo.

I can understand a degree of normality. Unsure that a foreign holiday is the first step towards that though.

I guess going to visit darlo and company is a good way to return to normality...:)

Are we shaming people for wanting a degree of normality after a lockdown here?

As long as they follow the rules in place in the country they are visiting (Spain pretty strict on mask wearing and hand washing for example) if they are told "if you want to go on a trip, then you can" its their choice. Just because you wouldn't do it doesn't mean no one else should.

(for the record I haven't booked a trip out of the UK but have booked a couple of nights away in the Yorkshire Dales in September because I have lost 2 holidays, a house move so far and I am going fucking insane)

We changed our hols from abroad to a week in Somerset last week and currently in Dorset atm. My thinking was if there arw any spikes or area lockdowns it would be easier to come home. Surely anyone booking a holiday, whether here or abroad are aware things might go pear shaped and it might get cancelled at short notice or you might have to self quarantine when you get back?

We changed our hols from abroad to a week in Somerset last week and currently in Dorset atm. My thinking was if there arw any spikes or area lockdowns it would be easier to come home. Surely anyone booking a holiday, whether here or abroad are aware things might go pear shaped and it might get cancelled at short notice or you might have to self quarantine when you get back?

Sure, anyone booking now should factor in such risks but I guess most people would expect more than around 3 hours notice for it, especially when a lot of people are in areas where no spikes or local lockdowns are in play. I would also say that the majority on trips right now will be ones booked before this shit happened and could not get a refund or the airlines were charging ridiculous amounts to change.

Might have been better to do a "if you are in this area" then sorry you are quarantined on your return and if you are in other areas please arrange a test for when you arrive back

My wife was due to go to Prague in August (booked last year) with her Mum but she wanted to change it. Flights costs £300 - Jet2 advised £400 extra to change the flights so she accepted she would lose her money but last week jet2 cancelled the flights and refunded her

I've lost my money on flights to Naples in a couple of weeks. Ryanair will let you move them for a £320 charge, but it needs to be the same route and they aren't on sale beyond March next year at the moment. The flight is still scheduled, we just don't want to take the risk. Off to Devon for a week instead

Quelle surprise I'm still awaiting my refund from Ryanair from March, funny that as their website proudly claims that they have refunded 100% of passengers from this month.

Back