• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Coronavirus

14 day quarantine period when you land back in the uk from midnight tonight,going to be a lot of angry people in the papers tomorrow,mind you its all the people that probably said " the facking virus ain't gonna stop me avvin a fawtnight in the facking sun,bit of beer,roast in the pub,fackin luvverly can't beat it etc etc" so serve em right

As much as it will be funny to laugh at wannabe Ray Winstones there will also be a lot of people who went on their trip because they couldn't get the holiday cancelled/refunded/moved. Just hope their bosses are understanding

Personally I'd see it as a bonus, 2 weeks away in the sun followed by 2 weeks fucking about at home would be brilliant.....but them I'm a lazy bastard

Personally I'd see it as a bonus, 2 weeks away in the sun followed by 2 weeks fucking about at home would be brilliant.....but them I'm a lazy bastard
Many companies are putting you on SSP for it, so not that much fun

Shapps who told people previously he wouldn't book a foreign holiday this Summer is in...Spain

Probably booked it under one of his fake names from his Internet fraud days...

I was meant to be off to Ibiza on Friday morning.

Confusing messaging from the government just for change.

From Gov.uk

"FCO is advising against all but essential travel to mainland Spain – this does not cover the Canary Islands or the Balearic Islands because travel advice is based on the risk to the individual traveller and COVID-19 infection rates are lower there than mainland Spain.

People will still need to self-isolate when returning from anywhere in Spain as well as the Canary and Balearic Islands because self-isolation arrangements are put in place on the basis of risk to the UK as a whole."

So if infection rates are lower (and lower than in the UK) in the Spanish Islands which means it's ok to travel there in paragraph 1, then why are they not exempt from quarantine in paragraph 2?

This means people are covered to get money back if going to mainland Spain but not covered for the Spanish Islands.

Wouldn't surprise me if this theory in the tweet below is correct, particularly if you remember Czechoslovakia and Rhodesia were still on the drop down menus to say where you had arrived from on the government website.

https://twitter.com/SimonCalder/status/1287161271926894592?s=19

I can sort of see some potential logic.

The islands themselves may be seen as a generally low risk in themselves due to low infection rates etc. So viewing that in isolation there's nothing to rule them out as a destination and put them on the 'essential travel only' list.

However, there's still a chance you mix with people from other high risk areas who are also holidaying there. Not sure if Spain are restricting movement of people from the higher outbreak areas now but potentially some family from a badly hit area could go to holiday on Ibiza and sit in the room next to you for the week.

You've also still got the increased risk of the travelling itself. Sitting in an enclosed space with a bunch of strangers for a couple of hours each way, potentially a bit more with transfers to hotels too. Not to mention all the people you mill around with at the airport either end, who knows where they are all coming from or going to.

Can see that the quarantine period essentially covers the general risks associated with travelling rather than linked to the risks of any specific destination.

Many companies are putting you on SSP for it, so not that much fun

Yeah its only my current situation that means time is more important than money to me, spent a lifetime not being able to stay off work sick cos all I ever got was SSP......glad this shit never happened 30 years ago

We're currently enjoying a 'staycation' (ugh) down in Dorset, we should have been touring the Black Forest and Austrian Tyrol but cancelled that months ago..thinking we made the right decision currently

I can sort of see some potential logic.

The islands themselves may be seen as a generally low risk in themselves due to low infection rates etc. So viewing that in isolation there's nothing to rule them out as a destination and put them on the 'essential travel only' list.

However, there's still a chance you mix with people from other high risk areas who are also holidaying there. Not sure if Spain are restricting movement of people from the higher outbreak areas now but potentially some family from a badly hit area could go to holiday on Ibiza and sit in the room next to you for the week.

You've also still got the increased risk of the travelling itself. Sitting in an enclosed space with a bunch of strangers for a couple of hours each way, potentially a bit more with transfers to hotels too. Not to mention all the people you mill around with at the airport either end, who knows where they are all coming from or going to.

Can see that the quarantine period essentially covers the general risks associated with travelling rather than linked to the risks of any specific destination.
You give the government far too much credit.

The majority of holidaymakers I am seeing (and admittedly, it is a small sample) seem to be those who rushed to book a holiday very recently.
As a result, zero sympathy for your whinging whining situation. It should have been abundantly clear to you this was a potential risk.

I wonder if any enterprising journalist can check when shapps booked his holiday. We could therefore calculate the half life of any pronouncement by michael green.

Goves joking that he wanted to exclude the canary islands etc owing to his holiday being booked there is in extremely poor taste too.

It's an odd one. It appears the government has acted pretty quickly on this. Cases are rising not only in cataonia, but also in france and germany. Had they not acted, they'd have faced considerable scrutiny for further delays/late decisions.

It also occurred to me the other day that we have heard very little about the situation in italy for a while.

Cases are consistently rising here too, should we ban staycations?

Not sure mate, though the option of local lockdowns remains available, and perhaps that is part of the thinking.

Personally, can't see me going anywhere/doing anything for the remainder of the year. Am currently requesting to not have to return to working on site, as family members have respiratory conditions and we are their support bubble.

There definitely seems to be a perception it is all over and we are back to normal already.

Not sure mate, though the option of local lockdowns remains available, and perhaps that is part of the thinking.

Personally, can't see me going anywhere/doing anything for the remainder of the year. Am currently requesting to not have to return to working on site, as family members have respiratory conditions and we are their support bubble.

There definitely seems to be a perception it is all over and we are back to normal already.
Tbf it's the Government who have driven that perception

I agree TT. My obligation is to protect my family members. I'll keep doing that, as well as hoping everyone else considers their options and actions.

I agree TT. My obligation is to protect my family members. I'll keep doing that, as well as hoping everyone else considers their options and actions.

I do feel some sympathy for the government - our whole economy is driven by consumption. Cut that off and the results will be much worse than that caused by COVID.

If people could actually respect social distancing, wear masks and rake sensible precautions then there is no reason why some semblance of normality could not return.

The wife set up a craft shop in Rugeley, she's panicking like mad that she has to confront someone for not wearing a mask. to be fair most people have been fine, apart from one old man who'd forgot his, so the wife gave him some spares and he asks "is it clean?"

The majority of holidaymakers I am seeing (and admittedly, it is a small sample) seem to be those who rushed to book a holiday very recently.
As a result, zero sympathy for your whinging whining situation. It should have been abundantly clear to you this was a potential risk.

I wonder if any enterprising journalist can check when shapps booked his holiday. We could therefore calculate the half life of any pronouncement by michael green.

Goves joking that he wanted to exclude the canary islands etc owing to his holiday being booked there is in extremely poor taste too.

It's an odd one. It appears the government has acted pretty quickly on this. Cases are rising not only in cataonia, but also in france and germany. Had they not acted, they'd have faced considerable scrutiny for further delays/late decisions.

It also occurred to me the other day that we have heard very little about the situation in italy for a while.
I'm not whining about not being able to go, if I can't go I can't go!

What I am pissed off about is Jet2 saying that in this eventuality they would give me my money back - but now they are reneging on that, obviously if I'd known that when I was booking I wouldn't have taken that risk!

They removed this pledge from their website last night, which had been front and centre for the last 6 weeks or so

a87e66f054708da8ca9e187dda673a74.jpg

Back