• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Coronavirus

Having properly read through the govts proposals for schools it essentially boils down to 'do what you like'. Thank fuck for that.

Government care home advise as of 2nd April
7824fd6c96df1ac97303d64eddefa912.jpg

I would assume it is the responsibiity of care homes to be aware of how to mitigate the spread of infection and to supply necessary PPE. Agincare made £2.36M operating profit in the Year to August 2018. It is a crime how elderly people are treated. Starmer needs to ask many more questions.

https://www.theguardian.com/society...e-homes-passed-on-to-clients-uk-charity-warns

The Dorset-based care company Agincare faced criticism on Monday over its decision to charge £6.47 extra per day to cover PPE and other rising costs in its homes, including staff cover and statutory sick pay.

The document you shared goes on to advise thus :-

https://assets.publishing.service.g...s-during-covid-19-incident-in-a-care-home.pdf

2. Caring for residents, depending on their COVID-19 status
COVID-19 positive cases
If you are caring for a resident who has been discharged from hospital and has tested
positive for COVID-19, the discharging hospital will provide you with the following
information upon discharge:
• The date and results of any COVID-19 test.
• The date of the onset of symptoms.
• A care plan for discharge from isolation.
Annex D provides further information on the appropriate isolation required for care home
residents who have been discharged from hospital following treatment for COVID-19.
Keeping asymptomatic residents safe and monitoring symptoms
Care home providers should follow Social distancing measures for everyone in the care
home, wherever possible, and the Shielding guidance for the extremely vulnerable group.
Care homes should implement daily monitoring of COVID-19 symptoms amongst residents
and care home staff, as residents with COVID-19 may present with a new continuous cough
and/or high temperature. Assess each resident twice daily for the development of a fever
(≥37.8°C), cough or shortness of breath. Immediately report residents with fever or
respiratory symptoms to NHS 111, as outlined in the section below.
Symptomatic residents
Any resident presenting with symptoms of COVID-19 should be promptly isolated (see
Annex C for further detail), and separated in a single room with a separate bathroom, where
possible. Contact the NHS 111 COVID-19 service for advice on assessment and testing. If
further clinical assessment is advised, contact their GP. If symptoms worsen during isolation
or are no better after 7 days, contact their GP for further advice around escalation and to
ensure person-centred decision making is followed. For a medical emergency dial 999.
Staff should immediately instigate full infection control measures to care for the resident with
symptoms, which will avoid the virus spreading to other residents in the care home and stop
staff members becoming infected.

5. Advice for staff
The personal protective equipment (PPE) that should be worn when caring for possible or
confirmed COVID-19 patients, is described in guidance that can be found here.

one of gf's coworkers, who she is in proximity to all day, confirmed positive for it today

rest of staff hasn't been feeling well for a few days (same as gf)

so uh.... yeah... she/we probably have it at this point

" a study from the London School of Economics (LSE) put the death toll for care home residents in England and Wales at 22,000, more than double the official estimate." THe trouble with lying about one thing is, people then tend to scrutinise everything your saying or have said. If you count a test in the post as a test thats been done the previous day, people are going to question a lot of things about testing numbers

The Care Quality Commission is tasked with regulating and inspecting care homes. These care homes are not fit for purpose.

Chief Executive Ian Trenholm.

https://www.hsj.co.uk/technology-an...roject-may-have-lost-millions/7024528.article

" A major IT project that was run by the current chief executive of the Care Quality Commission while at his previous employer has been halted, with a review estimating it wasted up to £17m "

Another thing - Boris promised 200k tests by the end of May. Another day below the April 30 target of 100k passes...

Whilst Boris said 200k aa day he was meant to say capacity and the figure would hopefully include antibody tests. Looks like the antibody tests will happen now after results for one being tested in the UK has been confirmed as being 100% accurate this morning.

Just had my early morning C19 test. I was retching like a trooper with the swab down my throat, tickling my tonsils.

I would assume it is the responsibiity of care homes to be aware of how to mitigate the spread of infection and to supply necessary PPE. Agincare made £2.36M operating profit in the Year to August 2018. It is a crime how elderly people are treated. Starmer needs to ask many more questions.

https://www.theguardian.com/society...e-homes-passed-on-to-clients-uk-charity-warns

The Dorset-based care company Agincare faced criticism on Monday over its decision to charge £6.47 extra per day to cover PPE and other rising costs in its homes, including staff cover and statutory sick pay.

The document you shared goes on to advise thus :-

https://assets.publishing.service.g...s-during-covid-19-incident-in-a-care-home.pdf

2. Caring for residents, depending on their COVID-19 status
COVID-19 positive cases
If you are caring for a resident who has been discharged from hospital and has tested
positive for COVID-19, the discharging hospital will provide you with the following
information upon discharge:
• The date and results of any COVID-19 test.
• The date of the onset of symptoms.
• A care plan for discharge from isolation.
Annex D provides further information on the appropriate isolation required for care home
residents who have been discharged from hospital following treatment for COVID-19.
Keeping asymptomatic residents safe and monitoring symptoms
Care home providers should follow Social distancing measures for everyone in the care
home, wherever possible, and the Shielding guidance for the extremely vulnerable group.
Care homes should implement daily monitoring of COVID-19 symptoms amongst residents
and care home staff, as residents with COVID-19 may present with a new continuous cough
and/or high temperature. Assess each resident twice daily for the development of a fever
(≥37.8°C), cough or shortness of breath. Immediately report residents with fever or
respiratory symptoms to NHS 111, as outlined in the section below.
Symptomatic residents
Any resident presenting with symptoms of COVID-19 should be promptly isolated (see
Annex C for further detail), and separated in a single room with a separate bathroom, where
possible. Contact the NHS 111 COVID-19 service for advice on assessment and testing. If
further clinical assessment is advised, contact their GP. If symptoms worsen during isolation
or are no better after 7 days, contact their GP for further advice around escalation and to
ensure person-centred decision making is followed. For a medical emergency dial 999.
Staff should immediately instigate full infection control measures to care for the resident with
symptoms, which will avoid the virus spreading to other residents in the care home and stop
staff members becoming infected.

5. Advice for staff
The personal protective equipment (PPE) that should be worn when caring for possible or
confirmed COVID-19 patients, is described in guidance that can be found here.

You could end up going backwards and forwards all day picking that document apart and highlighting different parts.
Why were so many patients sent back to care homes and not put in the empty Nightingale Hospital in London that was mothballed little over 2 weeks after it opened at the start of April and why do the often quoted official Government statistics show there was never even close to an acute shortage of beds?
Why was the extra funding the Government promised the sector never delivered?
Why was the necessary supply of PPE promised never fulfilled?

1. Admission of residents
The care sector looks after many of the most vulnerable people in our society. In this
pandemic, we appreciate that care home providers are first and foremost looking after the
people in their care, and doing so while some of their staff are absent due to sickness or
isolation requirements. As part of the national effort, the care sector also plays a vital role in
accepting patients as they are discharged from hospital – both because recuperation is
better in non-acute settings, and because hospitals need to have enough beds to treat
acutely sick patients.
Residents may also be admitted to a care home from a home setting.
Some of these patients may have COVID-19, whether symptomatic or asymptomatic. All of
these patients can be safely cared for in a care home if this guidance is followed.

"In return we will support you and your staff and residents in the following ways:
• We will ensure you have the information and support you need to safely admit and
care for patients during the pandemic (see section 2).
We will ensure a longer-term supply of all aspects of personal protective equipment
(PPE) for care homes - and home care providers - so that staff can provide care, as
well as providing a national supply disruption line for immediate concerns (see Annex
F).

• We have established Capacity Tracker as the single mechanism across the country to
report bed vacancies and help manage demand during this incident (see Annex I for
further details). This must be kept up to date on a daily basis. This information will not
be used to drive any regulatory enforcement activity.
We will work with commissioners to ensure fair and prompt payment for the existing
care commitments and additional care provided during the response to the pandemic,
recognising that both PPE and staffing costs are higher than usual.

• We have made NHSMail available for secure communication and transfer of
information and this must be used for communication with the NHS.
This guidance is intended for care homes, local health protection teams, local authorities,
clinical commissioning groups (CCGs) and registered providers of accommodation for
people who need personal or nursing care. This includes registered residential care and
nursing homes for people with learning disabilities, mental health and/or other disabilities."

The issue isn't going to go away or get swept under the carpet and I suspect bigger questions regarding the systematic failure to protect the most vulnerable during a declared national emergency will be asked at some point.

Following on from Boris' hint that there may never be a vaccine:

The novel coronavirus might "never go away" and instead could take on a status similar to HIV or AIDS, according to a top official at the World Health Organization (WHO).

Dr. Mike Ryan, who serves as the agency's authority on emergencies, told an online briefing Wednesday that the virus might be impervious to total obliteration, Reuters reported.

“It is important to put this on the table: This virus may become just another endemic virus in our communities, and this virus may never go away,” he said

“I think it is important we are realistic and I don’t think anyone can predict when this disease will disappear,” Ryan added. “I think there are no promises in this and there are no dates. This disease may settle into a long problem, or it may not be.”

He also claimed a vaccine may not be able to knock out the virus completely, citing measles as an example

Following on from Boris' hint that there may never be a vaccine:

The novel coronavirus might "never go away" and instead could take on a status similar to HIV or AIDS, according to a top official at the World Health Organization (WHO).

Dr. Mike Ryan, who serves as the agency's authority on emergencies, told an online briefing Wednesday that the virus might be impervious to total obliteration, Reuters reported.

“It is important to put this on the table: This virus may become just another endemic virus in our communities, and this virus may never go away,” he said

“I think it is important we are realistic and I don’t think anyone can predict when this disease will disappear,” Ryan added. “I think there are no promises in this and there are no dates. This disease may settle into a long problem, or it may not be.”

He also claimed a vaccine may not be able to knock out the virus completely, citing measles as an example

With the amount of anti-vaxx morons about thinking Bill Gates invented covid-19 just so he can chip us, vaccine acceptance might be too low for herd immunity anyway.

Surprised this morning to find a check for $1,200 in my postbox. Turns out being born in California, totally by chance, has paid off 30+ years later - although surprised to look this up and, yes, US citizens are eligible for stimulus checks even if they live overseas, as long as their taxes are up to date. And I only filed mine early this year because, why the hell not, I had a lot of free time on my hands.

Now in the weird situation of receiving more financial aid from the US (where I haven't lived since I was six) than the UK, which has decided that people who became self-employed less than three years ago can go whistle...

Surprised this morning to find a check for $1,200 in my postbox. Turns out being born in California, totally by chance, has paid off 30+ years later - although surprised to look this up and, yes, US citizens are eligible for stimulus checks even if they live overseas, as long as their taxes are up to date. And I only filed mine early this year because, why the hell not, I had a lot of free time on my hands.

Now in the weird situation of receiving more financial aid from the US (where I haven't lived since I was six) than the UK, which has decided that people who became self-employed less than three years ago can go whistle...

That's a once in a lifetime gift

You could end up going backwards and forwards all day picking that document apart and highlighting different parts.
Why were so many patients sent back to care homes and not put in the empty Nightingale Hospital in London that was mothballed little over 2 weeks after it opened at the start of April and why do the often quoted official Government statistics show there was never even close to an acute shortage of beds?
Why was the extra funding the Government promised the sector never delivered?
Why was the necessary supply of PPE promised never fulfilled?

1. Admission of residents
The care sector looks after many of the most vulnerable people in our society. In this
pandemic, we appreciate that care home providers are first and foremost looking after the
people in their care, and doing so while some of their staff are absent due to sickness or
isolation requirements. As part of the national effort, the care sector also plays a vital role in
accepting patients as they are discharged from hospital – both because recuperation is
better in non-acute settings, and because hospitals need to have enough beds to treat
acutely sick patients.
Residents may also be admitted to a care home from a home setting.
Some of these patients may have COVID-19, whether symptomatic or asymptomatic. All of
these patients can be safely cared for in a care home if this guidance is followed.

"In return we will support you and your staff and residents in the following ways:
• We will ensure you have the information and support you need to safely admit and
care for patients during the pandemic (see section 2).
We will ensure a longer-term supply of all aspects of personal protective equipment
(PPE) for care homes - and home care providers - so that staff can provide care, as
well as providing a national supply disruption line for immediate concerns (see Annex
F).

• We have established Capacity Tracker as the single mechanism across the country to
report bed vacancies and help manage demand during this incident (see Annex I for
further details). This must be kept up to date on a daily basis. This information will not
be used to drive any regulatory enforcement activity.
We will work with commissioners to ensure fair and prompt payment for the existing
care commitments and additional care provided during the response to the pandemic,
recognising that both PPE and staffing costs are higher than usual.

• We have made NHSMail available for secure communication and transfer of
information and this must be used for communication with the NHS.
This guidance is intended for care homes, local health protection teams, local authorities,
clinical commissioning groups (CCGs) and registered providers of accommodation for
people who need personal or nursing care. This includes registered residential care and
nursing homes for people with learning disabilities, mental health and/or other disabilities."

The issue isn't going to go away or get swept under the carpet and I suspect bigger questions regarding the systematic failure to protect the most vulnerable during a declared national emergency will be asked at some point.

Many sticks to beat the government with in terms of funding but those guidelines in terms of the transfer of patients to care homes are quite lucid. I would seriously question the role of the Care Quality Commission in monitoring and making sure these care homes are fit for purpose (in respect of the spread of infection) and given the deaths that have occured. They have been found to be totally unprepared to deal with this crisis. Should certain patients be transferred to care homes? Yes they should on the assumption they are capable of providing the required level of care and hold the necessary PPE in stock for a defined period. They have been found wanting. How would they cope if the flu vaccine failed again like it did in 2015?

Last edited:
With the amount of anti-vaxx morons about thinking Bill Gates invented covid-19 just so he can chip us, vaccine acceptance might be too low for herd immunity anyway.

Think many of them are concerned what damage the vaccines do given the US has paid out nearly $4Bn in compensation for ' vaccine injury' not to mention the thousands of children harmed following vaccinations in India. Although this is all now heavily censored on Google.

Back