• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Coronavirus

That would be me forced back into work then.

Aye. I'd be in a pickle. We're food production, so we should open up tomorrow. However our customers are high schools, universities, theme parks and corporate hospitality. So basically none for the foreseeable. If we're forced to open and removed fr the furlough scheme we'll be looking at mass redundancy or closure

Just sent an email to work to see if they are expecting me in tomorrow. If they are then fine. As I said last night there are plenty of precautions I can take to make my lab Covid-safe or as near as I can get it to that.

the whole ' they had underlying issues, they would have died anyway' mentality embodied by

is just disgusting. God forbid it happen, but if you contracted Coronavirus and died, I think I can say with a fair amount of certainty your family won't be standing at your graveside saying 'well, he had underlying issues, there was always a 40% chance he'd die'

As the Kinnear family aren't.

rory-kinnear -protect-vulnerable-coronavirus

You completely miss the point as usual.
So busy trying to justify your flawed arguments and your existence.
I really can't be bothered to argue with you.
It's 'your' thread, your welcome to it.
Must remember to stay logged in with you on ignore, otherwise I end up seeing your waffle.

Sunak extends furlough job retention scheme until end of October
Sunak says the government believes in the dignity of work.

It is doing all it can to protect people who cannot work.

He says he can announce the next stage of the job retention scheme, the furlough scheme. He says 7.5m jobs have been supported, and almost 1m businesses helped.

He says the scheme will be extended for four months, until the end of October. (It has been due to end at the end of June.)

There will be no changes until the end of July.

And in August, September and October will will continue with more flexibility.

He says employers will be able to bring workers back part-time. (At the moment the scheme only subsidises workers who are not working at all.)

He says the government will require employers to make a contribution.

No changes with regards to specific industries / sectors of the economy etc who can claim.

The changes after July make sense as that is when they expect nearly all business to be open again.

Good announcement all round. Still hopeful I might get a week or so of furlough in at some point.

That's a relief. Working in an industry that specifically cannot work, the prospect of the rumoured 60% pay wasn't great.

I'm pleasantly surprised by that. Just wait to hear what work have to say today now.

Sunak distanced himself quite strongly from the "addicted to furlough" crap.

Pretty clear there's a split in the Government (already), we just have to hope that the more sensible views win out.

Researchers at Cambridge University swabbed and tested more than 1,200 NHS workers at Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge throughout April, with staff also asked about relevant coronavirus symptoms.

More than 1,000 workers reported that they were fit for duty during the study period, but 3% of them tested positive for Covid-19. Dr Mike Weekes, one of the authors of the report, said staff need to be tested regularly “regardless of whether they have any sort of symptoms”.

Understandable why the virus continues to spread in care homes/hospitals if staff don't know that they've got it.

Pretty clear there's a split in the Government (already), we just have to hope that the more sensible views win out.

When Fat Alex and President Cummings are the "doves" it does make you slightly scared about the "hawks" in the debate.

Researchers at Cambridge University swabbed and tested more than 1,200 NHS workers at Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge throughout April, with staff also asked about relevant coronavirus symptoms.

More than 1,000 workers reported that they were fit for duty during the study period, but 3% of them tested positive for Covid-19. Dr Mike Weekes, one of the authors of the report, said staff need to be tested regularly “regardless of whether they have any sort of symptoms”.

Understandable why the virus continues to spread in care homes/hospitals if staff don't know that they've got it.

I saw that West Midlands Ambulance Service did a pilot scheme too. Again around 3% infected (and you think of the amount of people they're in contact with every day).

I wonder if the payments to the self employed (which haven't happened yet) will be extended too? I am entitled to the payments and will be be submitting the application on Thursday, the earliest possible date. That covers April to June (I think), but even though schools may be opening in June I am dubious as to whether I will be getting any work from the ones I work in.

It just shows how the government get things wrong with their messaging. There was no need for Johnson to speak to the nation on Sunday. A continuation of the lockdown could have been announced (preferably on time and before the bank holiday shenanigans), followed by today's measures on the job retention scheme, followed by a detailed plan of what was happening next.

Instead we get leaks to the press that frighten the public for 5 days, a speech on Sunday that unravels on Monday in so far as ministers haven't got a grasp of it, followed by mixed messaging. I heard Nicola Sturgeon's announcement last night and it was short, concise, calmly delivered saying that detailed guidance of plans for workplaces and schools would be published prior to any movement in the lockdown measures. Chalk and cheese compared to the UK Government.

Back