• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Coronavirus

A lot of retail stores, movie theaters, restaurants allowed to reopen in Texas today (with restrictions).

Yesterday marked our highest single day death count.

Had 3 customers yesterday each insist the whole thing is a hoax, perpetrated by the illuminati.

Another customer (retired senior military) insisted lil' donny is doing a brilliant job.

'Murica.

Fair play to the Government for hitting their target of 100k tests by yesterday. 122k in total done

Thats a fair jump in the last 10 days

Fair play to the Government for hitting their target of 100k tests by yesterday. 122k in total done

Thats a fair jump in the last 10 days

I am now calling bullshit on this

"He thanks everyone for their help, including Yodel who "got us out of a real hole this week" by delivering tests. "

I presume no one knows where they have been delivered to but all signed for...

and some more. The total isn't tests done. A % of that includes the tests that were despatched for home testing, so not actually done just popped in the post yesterday

and some more. The total isn't tests done. A % of that includes the tests that were despatched for home testing, so not actually done just popped in the post yesterday

It's like saying tens of thousands of people have read that article about 1982 I put up earlier. It's shared on Twitter to my 2k+ followers, it's been retweeted a few times and commented on by other accounts with big numbers, it's on three large Wolves Facebook groups, it's on here, it's on MM, theoretically it could have been further shared via WhatsApp or email or whatever.

Rest assured we have not hit those numbers.

It's like saying tens of thousands of people have read that article about 1982 I put up earlier. It's shared on Twitter to my 2k+ followers, it's been retweeted a few times and commented on by other accounts with big numbers, it's on three large Wolves Facebook groups, it's on here, it's on MM, theoretically it could have been further shared via WhatsApp or email or whatever.

Rest assured we have not hit those numbers.

no, we didnt

ahead of the presser today

View attachment 2763

Once people receive those tests and see what they involve a big percentage will end up in the bin

EW8h2c8XgAAd0H4

It's such an obvious fudge. Aim for the headline though...

The sole positive thing is that compared to about a week ago they have belatedly realised that no mass testing = this going on for ages with no prospect of any end in sight.

The £350m for the NHS was so successful this Government has taken to lying as a matter of course. First 50,000 nurses now 100,000 tests. All paid for with £3 notes...

You know, this whole testing target crap really sums up my frustrations - with the government, and with the media reporting on what the government is doing.

The target was always nonsense. Why 100,000? Why not 200,000, or 50,000, or only 50? We know now how to get things back to normal (or as close as) - it's mass testing combined with infrastructure and staffing for contact tracing across a whole country, which entails a massive mobilisation of all kinds of different sectors and facilities. Testing, on its own, does... nothing, other than tell you how many of the people you tested are infected or not. It was thrown out by Hancock, but never connected with any kind of broader plan to instigate the companion projects to get us sustainably out of lockdown.

Yet for weeks now, the political journalists who are actually directly asking questions to ministers and their scientific advisors about what is being done have focused on mostly two things:

1) Meeting that arbitrary target, without connecting it to what should also be under development in parallel for those test results to be fed into;
2) wHeN wIlL lOcKdOwN eNd?!?!

It's been obvious for ages now that you can't have an answer to the second without a load of stuff that the government is still doing a slow and incomplete job of sorting out, but also that the public massively supports the lockdown and there's no growing pressure outside of the Tory backbenches, donor circles to "reopen the economy" post-haste, and (bizarrely, IMO) Keir Starmer. Meanwhile there's a growing chorus of health/science journalists and public health experts are tearing their hair out as political journalists focus on day-to-day drama ("Hancok's cabinet critics will have to quieten down now!!!!1") rather than delivering any kind of coherent longer- and broader-term perspective on what's happening. (Even the most important reporting on PPE shortages and care home deaths being undercounted is mostly coming from outside of the Lobby.)

So you can predict exactly what's going to happen now. We're going to have some stupid public debate for the next few days about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin - a number that was never, on its own, anything other than a rod Hancock fashioned for his own back - and at the end of it we're still going to be none the wiser about the wide range of other issues that are still being under-delivered by the government and under-reported by the press. Wonderful, this is going to be so illuminating for us all, I can't wait to feel even more jaded with everything.

Remember this the next time someone says this virus isn't anything to do with politics

Very well put mate.

I can set myself a target of writing 10,000 words a day on some upcoming stuff by next week if I like. If they're all absolute drivel, or bear no resemblance to the actual project, or I don't bother sending them off, or I start counting words that I've got planned in my head but I haven't actually put down yet, then it's just a number with no meaning.

It's all depressingly familiar. The press will hopefully tear them apart over this.

I still maintain that there have been restrictions on what can be asked at the press briefings and that questions can only relate to matters raised in the briefings and not the real questions that everyone wants answers to

Back