• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Coronavirus

Scientists have cautioned against the reopening of schools after new findings suggested children could be as infectious as adults.

scientists caution against reopening schools

I saw something here that kids were carriers of COVID but did not display symptoms or suffer from the effects as much as adults.
Basically, being around kids was more of an elevated risk of infection than being around adults

Until evidence comes out of kids being infectious I'll stick with my current view, which is based on the evidence available

There is no defined evidence of anything because there has been no mass testing or tracing. All they know is who has tested positive and how many of those have died and whether they had underlying conditions. You have arguments coming from every direction. It is a socio-economic shitstorm.

Mail are reporting that Johnson will extend the lockdown until June in this afternoons press conference

There is no defined evidence of anything because there has been no mass testing or tracing. All they know is who has tested positive and how many of those have died and whether they had underlying conditions. You have arguments coming from every direction. It is a socio-economic shitstorm.

Depends if you believe the contact tracing done to date, including contact tracing done by the WHO has been accurate

"The spread of the coronavirus in Denmark has not accelerated since lockdown measures started to be loosened earlier this month.

The so-called R0 rate, which shows the average number ofinfections one person with the virus causes, has increaseda little since mid-April but remains below 1.0, according to the State Serum Institute, which is responsible for preparedness against infectious diseases.

"However, there are no signs that the Covid-19 epidemic isaccelerating," it said.

Meanwhile, Germany began easing restrictions at the beginning of last week. It is also seeking to achieve a R0 rate below one.

In early March the German rate was three but by mid-April it was below one. On Monday evening, that rate did rise briefly to one before falling back again, and the current figure is 0.76"

"The spread of the coronavirus in Denmark has not accelerated since lockdown measures started to be loosened earlier this month.

The so-called R0 rate, which shows the average number ofinfections one person with the virus causes, has increaseda little since mid-April but remains below 1.0, according to the State Serum Institute, which is responsible for preparedness against infectious diseases.

"However, there are no signs that the Covid-19 epidemic isaccelerating," it said.

Meanwhile, Germany began easing restrictions at the beginning of last week. It is also seeking to achieve a R0 rate below one.

In early March the German rate was three but by mid-April it was below one. On Monday evening, that rate did rise briefly to one before falling back again, and the current figure is 0.76"

Germany conduct 500,000 tests a week and were also able to trace every person their patient zero came into contact with at a festival and isolate them to contain the spread of the infection, which I think make it difficult to compare how we are doing, or what we should do with what their situation

I saw something here that kids were carriers of COVID but did not display symptoms or suffer from the effects as much as adults.
Basically, being around kids was more of an elevated risk of infection than being around adults

Having worked in primary schools for 17 years can confirm absolutely that kids carry infection of any type without being seriously affected - have had far less illness since I retired.

Mail are reporting that Johnson will extend the lockdown until June in this afternoons press conference

From the way Boris is talking it will be extending but certain things will be relaxed from next week

BoJo saying the lockdown has been / is a success

By what definition?

By what definition?

R below 1 and NHS has coped seems to the reason there.

Strange choice of words to say we have avoided the tragedy seen elsewhere. Now he was talking ( I think) about how the NHS has coped but using avoiding tragedy when over 26000 have died so far is just odd

By what definition?
If it's anything like what the US politicians are saying, anything better than the doomsday scenarios that were passed around in mid-March is "a tremendous job, the best job, a job no one has ever seen before".

Strange choice of words to say we have avoided the tragedy seen elsewhere. Now he was talking ( I think) about how the NHS has coped but using avoiding tragedy when over 26000 have died so far is just odd

Especially as the graph showed just after showed the UK as having the worst death toll in Europe.

It's at least double 26,000 though.

I suppose the NHS not being overwhelmed is a success though

It's at least double 26,000 though.

I suppose the NHS not being overwhelmed is a success though

I think if you take the fact that the real number of deaths is 52,000 as you say, which is including the deaths not in hospital, then yes, allowing 26,000 people to die at home and not be admitted to ICU has done a marvellous job of ensuring the NHS was not overwhelmed.

AstraZenica in partnership with Oxford to develop and distribute a vaccine

https://www.ovg.ox.ac.uk/news/landmark-partnership-announced-for-development-of-covid-19-vaccine

They must be really confident it works, one concern for m is that with so much money riding on this can we be sure the right checks have been done

It's worrying, espescially when the statement says "This will allow for rapid vaccination around the world if the COVID-19 vaccine candidate proves to be effective. " And no one will say whethe the UK will have priority access to any potential vaccine being developed in the UK.

" And no one will say whethe the UK will have priority access to any potential vaccine being developed in the UK.

The interview on Sky it was made clear that the UK will have priority access

They reckon they will know by June/July if ts going to work and then it will be a September/October roll out across the UK

Back