• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Coronavirus

Did a few weeks fruit picking when I left school, it was fine for some beer tokens. Nothing wrong with a bit of hard work

On a seperate note, there's just been some kind of incident in the 3 story flats out the back of us. A van load and a squad car of police officers juts rocked up at speed, ran into the flats , stayed for 5 minutes or so then came out looking pretty pissed of, slammed all their doors getting back into the vehicles and went off. Theres' already been near fight on the car park and an exchange of abuse after some cyclists stopped to take photos of a family sitting having a picnic/exercise break on the tables outside the nearby closed pub. Things are getting very tense round here at the moment

You just know they'll dress it up as a nice jolly stroll round an orchard, grabbing a few apples and having a ruddy good time, all for the good of the nation :icon_lol:

It's a dreadful, dreadful job. Even now the ratio of applicants : takeup is appalling once they realise what's actually involved and this when they're desperate enough to even look into it.

They seem to have this compulsive need to chuck out awful ideas every now and then. I don't think it's some 4D chess thing either, they're just stupid.

4D Chess would be mental. 3D chess is a head fuck but having players going back and forward in time...

Bronstein would be straight back to 1951 and changing one move in the world title match final game for a start.

Did a few weeks fruit picking when I left school, it was fine for some beer tokens. Nothing wrong with a bit of hard work

Well it depends, I'm pushing 40, I've got a degree in two languages and I'm an established writer of sorts. I was not put on this earth to pick fruit, I would be absolutely shit at it for a start.

If people want to do it for some quick cash (not very much of it relative to the effort expended) then that is their choice. It's the fact that the Government - knowing that their own lunatic policies have caused a natural shortage of labour anyway, and now have this crisis to deal with - are "encouraging" (which always sounds a bit sinister) people who already have a job (and are still being paid, albeit only to a point) to go and do it which is total nonsense.

The cynic in me will be waiting for an announcement that if you're furloughed and get offered alternate employment and don't take it, you lose your money, or something similar bringing it inline with the dole, but surely not even this Government would try and force people to pick fruit or starve, would they?

Tell Boris that he can go and pick fruit as an example then. We managed perfectly fine without him for a couple of weeks.

I'm not sure I want to answer that question :)

I don't think too many fruit pickers feel that they were put on this earth to pick fruit either, degree or not.

I'd rather be out working than sat at home and there's no shame in what that work may be.

Not shaming anyone my man. You do what you have to do.

This Government trying to shame people into doing it, there's plenty of fucking shame in that.

You want to see me with any kind of manual task and then send me out fruit picking. Spoiler: I am not that good.

I don't think too many fruit pickers feel that they were put on this earth to pick fruit either, degree or not.

I'd rather be out working than sat at home and there's no shame in what that work may be.

Theres no shame in doing a fruit picking season, it's some of the hardest money i've ever earned, its truly back breaking which is why they have to import pickers nowadays i think

If they want fruit picking and can't get the labour, they'll either have to pay more to get the labour or let the fruit rot.
Either way the retail price goes up.
That's market forces.

Do we feel this "encouraged" to go fruit picking will get tied into this universal credit nonsense,Ie you have to go do it or you get no money,people in wheelchairs won't be able to reach too high,obviously,but they'll be able to carry more by towing a trailer or something,people with false limbs or crutches will be able to hit the fruit out of the tree,I hope no one in government is reading this,or it'll be a policy pretty quick

I'm not massively against furloughed folk being used in a constructive way. I don't think it should be compulsory and any furloughed people who do pick fruit should be charged back to the farmers at minimum wage by the govt.

Right now there are a lot of people who aren't doing anything, it would be nice if that workforce could be leveraged somehow

Not shaming anyone my man. You do what you have to do.

This Government trying to shame people into doing it, there's plenty of fucking shame in that.

You want to see me with any kind of manual task and then send me out fruit picking. Spoiler: I am not that good.

Sorry I'm just a bit spikey on the subject as plenty of people look down their nose on some types of work

To me its a pragmatic decision, a large work force being paid to stay at home and a labour shortage that needs filling.

Back