• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Coronavirus

seems more folks out today and businesses are reopening.
Hancock says that they didn't need to close beforehand.

A lot of places closed as they couldn't do the social distancing in the work place. Presume they have spent the last month working on that (or probably looked a their bank balance last week and freaked out)

Just talking with my colleagues in Holland - schools will re-open on 11th May with similar rules to that which were suggested here. Split classes in two and two days per half. They have been similarly affected to us on a pre-million people rate, hopefully we will see the same.

Sorry, i meant having both in the population at the same time.

I can see the death rate going up in that scenario

Too many unknowns. The testing is a farce. Aus and NZ did the contain phase very well. The vaccine is months away. They should work on knowns and the biggest known is 80% will be fine (much like the flu).

Too many unknowns. The testing is a farce. Aus and NZ did the contain phase very well. The vaccine is months away. They should work on knowns and the biggest known is 80% will be fine (much like the flu).

I meant if individuals got both at the same time, I could see that being nasty and more people being vulnerable to it

Have i missed the bit where our government tell us what they are planning here?

You honestly think they're even going to hint at a timetable, even if they were vague and said Autumn you could guarantee on 22nd September there'd be mobs hammering down the doors of Weatherspoons, the usuals on here would be spouting the same old thing and Papper would still be extolling he virtues of anarcho-syndicalism :) The worst they have to put up with at the minute is the above.

I meant if individuals got both at the same time, I could see that being nasty and more people being vulnerable to it

Viruses have been around for eons. Vulnerable people are susceptible to any virus. We never had a virus before that that meant laws being passed to put people into virtual house arrest and this hasn't actually been enforced just yet. They are prepping us for the economic collapse that will follow soon.

You honestly think they're even going to hint at a timetable, even if they were vague and said Autumn you could guarantee on 22nd September there'd be mobs hammering down the doors of Weatherspoons, the usuals on here would be spouting the same old thing and Papper would still be extolling he virtues of anarcho-syndicalism :) The worst they have to put up with at the minute is the above.

I just don't understand why other countries can do it and we can't. Why are we so different?

There isn't a coherant policy just now - some DIY stores (all indoors) are reopening & many supermarkets (which have never closed) sell plants, but garden centres (most of which is outdoors) are still closed.

The 2 or 3 near me have big enough parking areas to cone off alternate spaces & can easily close off any inside areas and limit numbers accessing at any one time. Really wouldn't be any different to going into Asda.

There is no doubt in my mind that a lot more people have been going to work this week. On my drive to work (Newport-Telford) there has been not far off the same amount of traffic as normal while the previous 3 weeks had been very quiet

There isn't a coherant policy just now - some DIY stores (all indoors) are reopening & many supermarkets (which have never closed) sell plants, but garden centres (most of which is outdoors) are still closed.

The 2 or 3 near me have big enough parking areas to cone off alternate spaces & can easily close off any inside areas and limit numbers accessing at any one time. Really wouldn't be any different to going into Asda.
It's all about essential products though isn't it? Whilst there are plenty of things you can buy from supermarkets or B&Q that aren't necessary right now they also sell a lot of things which are essential at one time or another. You're unlikely to pop down the garden centre if you're on the brink of starvation or just sprung a leak in the kitchen.

Obviously plenty of people are still making journeys to these places without buying non-essential items, and that's just as stupid as if they'd been going to a garden centre or to do a bit of clothes shopping. It's all about trying to cut down people's interactions with one another by limiting their outings to only those which are essential.

Some retail stores are allowed to reopen today in TX. Curbside only, the customer is not permitted to enter the store. Payment in advance via phone or internet. I don't understand why my customers can enter the store, browse around, and pay cash, but other stores customers cannot.

Megamind Dom is on SAGE then? Well I guess he's done his usual thing of half-reading a book and not really understanding it, let him in. What could go wrong.

I just don't understand why other countries can do it and we can't. Why are we so different?

Because they're, for the most part, the countries which are further ahead than the UK in terms of suppressing the first wave. The British government will announce similar timetables as soon as they can, I have no doubt, but the early mistakes mean we're stuck on the Spain and Italy track rather than the Czech or German or Austrian one.

Lockdowns can't last forever - you need to use the time to build up the systems and resources for tracking and tracing so that when the second wave inevitably rears up as people move around again, you actually have more targeted ways of responding. The problem is... well, there are loads of problems, still, in the UK when it comes being able to cautiously encourage a second wave by relaxing lockdown measures.

For example, in South Korea and China, mass events like concerts, plays, sporting events, etc, are slowly being reopened—but audiences have to walk one-by-one through boxes on entry which emit a disinfecting spray, they have their temperatures measured, their addresses and movements are recorded, etc. Very, very few countries are close to being able to roll those kinds of measures out, even the ones doing a "good" job so far.

It's all about essential products though isn't it? Whilst there are plenty of things you can buy from supermarkets or B&Q that aren't necessary right now they also sell a lot of things which are essential at one time or another. You're unlikely to pop down the garden centre if you're on the brink of starvation or just sprung a leak in the kitchen.

Obviously plenty of people are still making journeys to these places without buying non-essential items, and that's just as stupid as if they'd been going to a garden centre or to do a bit of clothes shopping. It's all about trying to cut down people's interactions with one another by limiting their outings to only those which are essential.

Mental health is also important and for many their garden/open space (if you are lucky enough to have that) is a factor - just that it's just as possible to open those with sensible restrictions as those shops that are allowed to.

Megamind Dom is on SAGE then? Well I guess he's done his usual thing of half-reading a book and not really understanding it, let him in. What could go wrong.

Government by the pop-sci section of Waterstone's.

Mental health is also important and for many their garden/open space (if you are lucky enough to have that) is a factor - just that it's just as possible to open those with sensible restrictions as those shops that are allowed to.

Opening up nurseries and primary schools would do wonders for the nations mental health

I think I read somewhere opening up schools would increase transmission rates by 2-4%.

Id take that every day of the week

Landlord of the pendulum pub in pendeford has had his licence suspended for flouting the lockdown rules and opening up and serving,tip off and a police raid,says west mids police Facebook page

But there are other places you can buy a fair chunk of the required items for those activities alongside your essential goods. Fair enough you aren't going to get the same selection on a few trolleys outside a supermarket as you would at the garden centre but there's enough there to get out in the garden and potter about a bit.

Unfortunately now is not really a time for living a normal life, enjoying a few luxuries or whimsical pass times. It's a time for getting by and staying safe, the time to enjoy yourself is somewhere down the line when the worst of this has passed.

Landlord of the pendulum pub in pendeford has had his licence suspended for flouting the lockdown rules and opening up and serving,tip off and a police raid,says west mids police Facebook page
Please God no, working from home is bad enough, don't make me have to suffer it across the road from a school full of screaming infants too!

A truly horrendous pub that.

Back