• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Coronavirus

I don't know, its just a thought that pops into my head when people remark on how well Iceland et al. are doing

Yeah, they are also in the middle of nowhere, France is not. And France and UK will have a lot more travel in and out for both business, tourism, family and connections.

And another thing, how grey is my wife and how much money am I saving not getting her hair coloured :)

Del,great news about Alfie, hope he continues to improve and gets home soon.

I do think it needs to be discussed but in the proper context. The measures that have been taken not to reduce the number of people infected and subsequently die, but to reduce the number of people who are infected and die in a particular time frame. The measures have been taken to protect the NHS from being overwhelmed to ensure that those who do require hospital treatment get it and therefore have the best chance of survival. There is no way that would have been achieved with simple social distancing as it is an unnatural human activity for most, you have to remove the environments that prevents social distancing.

Generally speaking, it is lower socioeconomic economic groups that are going to be hit hardest by easing the lockdown. These groups are more likely to be in lower paid, public facing jobs. Much less likely to be able to work from home and more likely to rely on public transport. It’s no wonder that predominately well off white men think the lockdown was unnecessary.

The thing is, that's what this guy is saying, that the peak started to fall before the lockdown measures took effect.

I think the average time it takes for covid19 to kill is 21 days and the thinking is the peak was 8th April, so 21 days before 8 April is before lockdown was implemented.

The thing is, that's what this guy is saying, that the peak started to fall before the lockdown measures took effect.

I think the average time it takes for covid19 to kill is 21 days and the thinking is the peak was 8th April, so 21 days before 8 April is before lockdown was implemented.

We've only just hit the peak.

Schools and sport closed themselves down before the govt did.

We've never had a full lockdown. Maybe if we had we'd be out of this sooner but I'm sure the 1922 committee would have had plenty to say about that.

We've only just hit the peak.

Schools and sport closed themselves down before the govt did.

We've never had a full lockdown. Maybe if we had we'd be out of this sooner but I'm sure the 1922 committee would have had plenty to say about that.

I'm not so sure, it does look like the peak was 8th April

sl79brhrhdu41.jpg

Am a massive fan of Jacinda Ardern but when you see things like this does it not worry you that density of population is a major issue, take New Zealand, a country bigger than the Uk but there are a million more people living in Yorkshire alone, take Finland, Iceland etc quite low on the league tables of population density.

Yeah, i understand the population density argument, but I don't think it really holds up.

Auckland has a population of 1.65 million and an area of 1,086 km² , Somerset West and Taunton is 1,190 km² and is much much less densely populated with only 153,866 people, 10 times less than Auckland. but there have been more deaths there than the whole of New Zealand.

If it's population density protecting new Zealand, a sparser population in the same area should be fairing better, but it's doing worse.

Maori would be particularly devastated by CV-19, the'yre pretty big people, a lot don't live the healthiest of lives and theyd all be at huge risks.

Even when you take into account the pop density, 20 deaths is far lower than it should be.

Yeah, they are also in the middle of nowhere, France is not. And France and UK will have a lot more travel in and out for both business, tourism, family and connections.

Jacinda Arden closed their borders instantly, because like us, they are an island. Ours are still wide open. We are 'officially' heading for 20k deaths soon, they have 20.

You can say ' ah yes, but we have this and they have that' all day and it still doesnt account for the huge disparity in numbers, whereas taking decisive action with clear, concise instructions to the population that are being followed does.

Jacinda Arden closed their borders instantly, because like us, they are an island. Ours are still wide open. We are 'officially' heading for 20k deaths soon, they have 20.

You can say ' ah yes, but we have this and they have that' all day and it still doesnt account for the huge disparity in numbers, whereas taking decisive action with clear, concise instructions to the population that are being followed does.

Yes we should have closed our borders. It was asked for a reason beyond population density. I gave it

Auckland isn't connected to London by a road either

No, it isn't but over a million people went through Auckland airport in January alone. That's excluding transit and internal passengers.

There is very little doubt that as a nation, we got this wrong. That's not a political argument, it's more or less an undisputed fact. The extent that heads still remain buried in the sand is similar to passengers sitting in the upper class bars of the Titanic drinking cognac and smoking cigars in the belief that simply had to be safe, the ship was unsinkable.

At some point you have to look at the evidence around you and consider the fact that you just might have been wrong.

No, it isn't but over a million people went through Auckland airport in January alone. That's excluding transit and internal passengers.

So they didn't lockdown straight away then. or didn't it hit them till later on ?

So they didn't lockdown straight away then. or didn't it hit them till later on ?

"New Zealand borders were closed to all non-residents at 11:59 pm on 19 March 2020, with returning citizens and residents requiring to self-isolate. Since 10 April, all New Zealanders returning from overseas must go into two weeks of supervised quarantine."
2020_coronavirus pandemic in New Zealand

Arden acted swiftly and decisively and as a result they are relatively unscathed. We dithered and put out wishy washy confusing guidelines and are being hit hard.

Apparently, the fact that only 20 people have so far died in New Zealand is down to every reason apart from Arden's actions.

One proof of the pudding is going to be the size and conclusions of the post inquiries that take place, who gets lauded as being a saviour of their nation and who ends up with a permanent stain on their record that will never be removed. Arguments like ' ah yes, but hindsight is a marvellous thing, of course we would have followed suit had we known then what we know now ' are pretty weak.
I would have thought acting when those actions might have had an effect rather than waiting till 20k+ innocent lives have been lost to say ' yeah, maybe we should have' would be the better option of the 2

Alfie's home! Still poorly but looks like he's on the mend. He's harder than chuck norris that kid. Thanks all for the support xx

Alfie's home! Still poorly but looks like he's on the mend. He's harder than chuck norris that kid. Thanks all for the support xx
Brilliant news mate. Keep going [emoji123]

Back