• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Coronavirus

I appear to have got over excited with dels news. Everyone else had a much more measured response....

Not had a good day at work I think.

It's utter bullshit. The capacity to do 100k tests a day is already available. My employer in march was able to conduct 25k tests a day. The government can't fulfil the tests, hence the shift. They're also now saying they want to do health workers, but health workers aren't going to the testing sites. Possibly because they're a bit busy, but tbh, you should be taking the fucking testing sites to the people who need testing.

How do they do that?

Shouldn't be too difficult should it?

Set themselves up in a car park/marquee, get the medical people out to do their swabs at an allotted time so as to minimise wasted time, and off they pop.

All mass gatherings here cancelled until the end of August earliest. So no Galway Races, Dublin Horse Show etc.
Testing to continue for at least the next six months, so I am told.

Shouldn't be too difficult should it?

Set themselves up in a car park/marquee, get the medical people out to do their swabs at an allotted time so as to minimise wasted time, and off they pop.

How many extra staff and tents/ booths/ PPE will that take to get to every care home and NHS facility including GP's surgeries and dentists?

Would be tens of thousands of physical items, a logistical nightmare.

Doc said the test has come back negative but we can ignore that because we're seeing lots of false negatives and the xray of his lungs clearly has the infection pattern of covid, which spreads differently to normal pneumonia. Said he's making amazing progress and it won't need to be a huge improvement from this point for him to be allowed home! Asked for a retest and they said no as he's getting better :/

Great news, congratulations.

Witty has just said that social distancing of some sort will need to be in place for at least 12 months as the virus will still be around. Very slim chance that a vaccine or medications to lessen the impact of the virus will be available within a year.

Witty has just said that social distancing of some sort will need to be in place for at least 12 months as the virus will still be around. Very slim chance that a vaccine or medications to lessen the impact of the virus will be available within a year.

The woman pushing Oxford University's vaccine dislikes this.

Doc said the test has come back negative but we can ignore that because we're seeing lots of false negatives and the xray of his lungs clearly has the infection pattern of covid, which spreads differently to normal pneumonia. Said he's making amazing progress and it won't need to be a huge improvement from this point for him to be allowed home! Asked for a retest and they said no as he's getting better :/

Glad to hear he is on the mend

Latest prediction for Texas is around 1,000 deaths total (down from 6,000) (TX population 29 million). It may be possible to relax social distancing after June 1st. BUT our Republican governor is allowing more businesses to reopen this weekend, so no chance of everyone acting responsibly.

Also Lt Gov Dan Patrick said a couple of days ago "There are more important things than living"

These are the number of of individual tests tests we've been doing daily from today backwards,
tests.jpg

these are the number of those tests performed on new people, slightly different numbers
new tests.jpg

You can see why Matty is looking like he's about to crack, he's got more chance of hitting his 100k target as I have of beating Tyson Fury

Latest prediction for Texas is around 1,000 deaths total (down from 6,000) (TX population 29 million). It may be possible to relax social distancing after June 1st. BUT our Republican governor is allowing more businesses to reopen this weekend, so no chance of everyone acting responsibly.

Also Lt Gov Dan Patrick said a couple of days ago "There are more important things than living"

"Sure there have been injuries and deaths in boxing - but none of them serious.”
Alan Minter, former undisputed World Middleweight Champion

Nicholas Watt
@nicholaswatt

Break: I am told that a very tense meeting of the executive of the Conservative backbench committee 1922 has just concluded. Every Tory MP at the meeting and every MP who dialled in expressed deep concern at the impact of the lockdown on business
Am told the sentiment at the 1922 was: unless the lockdown starts to be lifted soon the UK may not have much of a functioning economy to come back to. Fears expressed that thousands upon thousands of businesses could soon go under
Some members of the 1922 executive believe the lockdown needs to be relaxed after the first week of May. ‘If we don’t do that we really will see thousands of businesses go under,’ one 1922 member tells me
The meeting heard that the govt has achieved its main goal - the NHS has not been overwhelmed. But that should not mean no change to the lockdown. There will continue to be infections, UK will have to learn to live with this virus for two maybe three years, meeting heard
Am told govt messaging on Coronavirus described by one 1922 member as ‘ludicrous’. Great interest in suggestion by Carl Heneghan that peak of deaths was 8 April, indicating that fall in infections came when initial social distancing and hygiene measures introduced before lockdown
One 1922 member tells me: ‘Social distancing and hygiene measures were the key. We should follow the government guidance. If you can’t work at home then you can go to work if observe social distancing and hygiene

Good to hear this news Del

As to the Nightingale I'm happy if its not really used as it was only built as an insurance policy anyway (though there are reports that due to staffing levels they have had to turn patients away which is poor planning)

The Turkish PPE saga was a PR balls up - should have said nothing till it arrived (then again if the RAF plane sent could only bring back part of the consignment it would have made sense to send more than 1 plane assuming that the RAF actually have that many now)

Back