• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Coronavirus

And she let him get away with saying that the EU scheme hasn't delivered any ppe to members yet", surely she should have come back with 'well it's nice to know we've still got common ground with them' :icon_lol:

What annoyed me more was ten minutes after saying that over 8000 UK manufacturers and suppliers have contacted the government and they're starting to work through the leads, he said that there was a global shortage and we clearly need to be nimble and creative in sourcing ppe. Again it went unchallenged by the fucking moronic journos

Antibody testing

Coming soon – we have had confirmation from the Black Country Pathology service lead that we will be ready to undertake antibody testing as soon as it is available and we will keep you informed of how we can access it when it is available.

Hospital I work at

Can Joe public buy these?

"Foreign Office Permanent Under Secretary Sir Simon McDonald says it was a 'political decision' not take part in the EU joint procurement scheme for medical equipment. He says the UK Mission to the EU in Brussels 'briefed ministers about what was available, what was on offer'."

Hancock was just asked and said they never turned the offer down, he himself said yes and are "associate members" of the scheme... What happened to "we missed the email/didn't receive it" and "we aren't taking part in the scheme" ??

Crazy logic. If they did a drill in 2016 in respect of a potential pandemic then regardless of leaving the EU something should have been in place to quickly and at short notice supply the public with the necessary PPE / Ventilators.

Not all antibody test kits are the same are they?

I tend to do a news trawl every day because a credible antibody test is the game changer but nothing concrete is there. Just many claims. Would accept though that the WHO would lead on this if one was found.

spot on and seems to ignore that the political pointscoring is being initiated by government as much as anybody presumably to justify changing "policy" almost immediately after announcing one; and for example in responding to newspaper criticisms with generally shitty replies that appear like a PR and blame avoidance exercise rather than any responsible assessment of why we've got to where we have including what we got wrong.

on a secondary note, i don't really see herd immunity constitutes a policy, rather than being an intended end result of "policy" with different routes and consequences to achieving it. you could do nothing, let as many people get infected and hope the damage done isn't too bad, perhaps because you have good data that not too many will get seriously ill (or for other dogmatic or less philanthropic reasons). or in more serious assessed outbreaks you could try to contain the spread commensurate with your ability to look after those falling ill whilst providing time to build up your ability to treat. it seemed to me at the start the gvt was describing the latter whilst being on the former.

Johnson and the experts in the early days were at pains to point out they were using various models and that much was unknown. SAGE ? They also pointed out that policy may change day to do - which it did. My point on political point scoring was in relation to a particular article that didn't further the cause - when more serious questions like the supply of PPE/Ventilators or the failure to halt flights into the UK from virus hot spots are far more relevant.

I tend to do a news trawl every day because a credible antibody test is the game changer but nothing concrete is there. Just many claims. Would accept though that the WHO would lead on this if one was found.

Germany are about to undertake a big antibody testing program. Id be interested to see their results

Johnson and the experts in the early days were at pains to point out they were using various models and that much was unknown. SAGE ? They also pointed out that policy may change day to do - which it did. My point on political point scoring was in relation to a particular article that didn't further the cause - when more serious questions like the supply of PPE/Ventilators or the failure to halt flights into the UK from virus hot spots are far more relevant.

well then perhaps you should direct your point to the people in government that are spending time politicising over their past actions rather than dealing with your more serious questions which they happen to be responsible for.

i don't see that there was a policy being implemented until they announced a 'delay' phase. the presumption of that was that there was a containment phase - which didn't seem to involve any containment and appears to me at least to be empty words/PR. "halting flights into the UK from virus hot spots" which you say they've failed to do i imagine would have constituted containment.

Germany are about to undertake a big antibody testing program. Id be interested to see their results

Agreed. Fingers crossed. Mortality rates including those who died in care homes and at home. How many of these had been tested for Covid 19?

a friend of mine mentioned via email recently that he's just found out he is shielded. wing to underlying health conditions, he's not supposed to go outside, even to exercise , fetch shopping, or even medication.
I've offered to fetch his shopping. However, started looking into his mentioning "they" were supposed to be helping him with shopping arrangements. Just over a month ago, the advice was:
The government is making plans to ensure food parcels are delivered to people having to stay home by about 27th March. They will also be mobilising volunteers around the country to make offers of shopping, etc. If friends or family are already shopping for you, they should continue to do so.

The website for such help:
https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus-extremely-vulnerable
This service is unavailable, it will be available as soon as possible.

Register with this service if either:

you have a medical condition which means you’re classed as being clinically extremely vulnerable to coronavirus
you’ve been told by your GP or hospital clinician that you’re clinically extremely vulnerable and need to ‘shield’
‘Shielding’ means not leaving your home and minimising contact with other members of your household.

You’ll be able to ask for help if you need it - for example, with getting essential supplies or your basic care needs.

You can register yourself, or on behalf of someone else.

You’ll be asked for your NHS number but you can still register if you do not have it. You can find it on any letter the NHS has sent you or on a prescription.

This service is available in England.
It's the 21st of fucking april. It's been over a month since the shielding advice was published. It's been 25 days since 27 march. how are these people supposed to be getting food, or medicine?

Two shielded people in this house. Both received letters dated 24th March. The second letter arrived on Saturday.

a friend of mine mentioned via email recently that he's just found out he is shielded. wing to underlying health conditions, he's not supposed to go outside, even to exercise , fetch shopping, or even medication.
I've offered to fetch his shopping. However, started looking into his mentioning "they" were supposed to be helping him with shopping arrangements. Just over a month ago, the advice was:

The website for such help:
https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus-extremely-vulnerable

It's the 21st of fucking april. It's been over a month since the shielding advice was published. It's been 25 days since 27 march. how are these people supposed to be getting food, or medicine?

Would recommend contacting your friend's local mutual aid group: https://covidmutualaid.org/

I've been working within my local group to do things like pick up prescriptions and shopping, walking dogs, etc, for people in self-isolation. Members usually also have information about other local services that people in need can access.

Sorry matey you cannot really do that unless all the others discovered it at exactly the same time

Oh and "Who’s using a herd immunity strategy?" Sweden

Sweden are not pursuing a globally discredited 'herd immuninty' at all. They just have trust in their population adopting correct behaviours voluntarily

"It is wise to respect citizens as responsible, ethical beings, equal in their contributions. This may, in fact, be the best way to develop the reciprocity that is the hallmark of a high-trust society: mutual trust between citizens, and between the citizens and the state."

"It is wise to respect citizens as responsible, ethical beings, equal in their contributions. This may, in fact, be the best way to develop the reciprocity that is the hallmark of a high-trust society: mutual trust between citizens, and between the citizens and the state."

Explaining herd immunity in a flouncy way sill doesn't alter the fact. That's a bit like you telling me i have a dog and me replying " no I have a Canis familiaris "

Explaining herd immunity in a flouncy way sill doesn't alter the fact. That's a bit like you telling me i have a dog and me replying " no I have a Canis familiaris "

so you believe the Swedes are intentionally trying to infect their population? What gives you that impression? You really should think about dropping your obsession with a globally discredited strategy being the best way to deal with a disease that no one knows if you can gain immunity to yet anyway.

Back