• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Coronavirus

The sorry tale of our non-existent new ventilators. Great work from the FT

https://twitter.com/pmdfoster/status/1251434219139665920?s=21

Wow. I read a bit about this earlier and presumed it was just idle gossip. Maybe somebody should have pointed this out when the ' call to arms ' was raised. What I would consider a journalistic failure. Any viable risk assessment (which given the evidence should have been prepared since 2016) should have contained a provision to manufacture large scale in a short time items that were fit for purpose.

You and I must be reading different articles as that's not what it says at all:

Just to clarify, that's the basic designs that the scientists put in the spec from an original 1961 design. They are now wrong and it is 1 of the more sophisticated updated and novel designs that have gone to manufacture (Airbus, McLaren consortium model).

Making to the old spec was not possible as we didn't have the parts, if any ventilators were made to this spec they wouldn't need approval.

The CPAP model was reverse engineered and then redesigned for improvements too, as per the article you put up a few days ago.

Edit: To add, the government have made clear mistakes during the pandemic and not admitting them is plain silly. The constant slating of the government for not having ventilators is silly. We are not even at capacity.

Italy needed ventilators and the Germans refused to help them as they were 'counting them'. That's a scandal.

It appears the MHRA completely fucked up by not communicating the necessary spec (therefore it is a government failure)

" At the outset, the aim of the initiative was unclear: to boost production of existing designs or to try to “reinvent the wheel” with homegrown products made from scratch "

All test houses should be independent of government as they are bound by standards not politics.

All test houses should be independent of government as they are bound by standards not politics.

No point regulating if the body it is delegated to cannot even come up with a viable project plan. Then again lack of parts, supply chain should have been highlighted in any risk assessment. What else are the powers that be currently fucking up I wonder.

@SkyNewsBreak
Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick says the Government has invited 99-year-old army veteran Captain Thomas Moore who has raised more than £23m for the NHS to the opening of the new nightingale hospital in Harrogate.
Probably not the smartest thing to do right now, unless it's virtually via a webcam.

You and I must be reading different articles as that's not what it says at all:

Just to clarify, that's the basic designs that the scientists put in the spec from an original 1961 design. They are now wrong and it is 1 of the more sophisticated updated and novel designs that have gone to manufacture (Airbus, McLaren consortium model).

Making to the old spec was not possible as we didn't have the parts, if any ventilators were made to this spec they wouldn't need approval.

The CPAP model was reverse engineered and then redesigned for improvements too, as per the article you put up a few days ago.

Edit: To add, the government have made clear mistakes during the pandemic and not admitting them is plain silly. The constant slating of the government for not having ventilators is silly. We are not even at capacity.

Italy needed ventilators and the Germans refused to help them as they were 'counting them'. That's a scandal.

That's an interesting point around capacity, it feels like we're arent near the capacity we thought we'd need and lockdown combined with the bed utilisation stats are showing that our required capacity is dropping too.

I know it's early days yet but I wonder if the kids will go back to school in 3 weeks

They are fucking insane. Let’s show him well done by exposing him to a life threatening virus.

They are fucking insane. Let’s show him well done by exposing him to a life threatening virus.
I thought it was pretty insane the amount of people that turned up at his house when he completed his 100 laps. Half the worlds press, emergency services and soldiers. I get the sentiment, but it was all unnecessary travel and exposure to him and those present.

Behind a pay wall... Gist? (I don't really need it, I can guess as it's Trump)

Copied and pasted the first couple of paragraphs:

"Conservative activists cheered on in some cases by Donald Trump are vowing to step up street protests against lockdowns imposed to stop the spread of coronavirus, arguing the restrictions violate their civil rights and threaten their ability to earn a living.
The demonstrations in recent days have echoes of the anti-establishment agitation that led to the rise of the Tea Party movement a decade ago, and have involved activists who customarily espouse more traditional rightwing causes — such as the fight against gun control measures.
Denny Tubbs, 67, a local leader of Ohio Stands United, a gun rights group, said he would attend a protest on Saturday in the state capital of Columbus against closures ordered by Mike DeWine, a Republican governor."

A survey done on a town in Italy showed 43% of people infected were asymptomatic. They did two lots of testing 14 days apart and the asymptomatic people didn't present symptoms during those 14 days

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.17.20053157v1

I really think we're missing a key fact about this virus for it to be able to kill large volumes of people but other, significant amounts of people, don't even know they have it

Edit. 43% asymptomatic makes contact tracing really difficult

Back