• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Coronavirus

Yes, you are right. Have to be positive. My apologies - anxiety levels were going through the roof yesterday. Made the cardinal error of reading the gutter press.

Hopefully we get some massively positive news soon.

Cheers man. Appreciate that. The gutter press seem intent on raising anxiety. cos people aren't anxious enough as it is

Stars to perform massive benefit show

More than 100 performers have signed up to join One World: Together At Home - a huge benefit show being broadcast online and around the world later today.

The list of celebrities making an appearance is massive and includes acts like Taylor Swift, Andrea Bocelli and Stevie Wonder.

The special concert has been created by the Global Citizen movement and the World Health Organization (WHO), in collaboration with pop star Lady Gaga, to raise funds and thank healthcare workers working to combat Covid-19.

"We may be apart right now, but coming together has never been more important," Global Citizen said in a statement.

Proceeds generated from the concert will go to the Covid-19 Solidarity Response Fund for WHO.

How to watch

Why does there always have to be a fucking benefit gig?

I said a few weeks ago lets see how long before the first benefits arranged. In her defence, Lady Gaga's been quietly going about raising a lot of money for New York, and she's done this to offset the loss of the USA contribution to the who.

But it always makes me feel little uneasy when its the people who end up covering the cost of things Governments won't act on. The sentiments are always coming from the right place,but it's almost like indirect taxation

I found out this morning about something called the innate immunity system which deals with "everyday" infections and the adaptive immunity system which deals with the trickier stuff.

Given the amount of asymptomatic people I wonder if some people have dealt with covid19 through the innate system. When the adaptive system starts working is when you feel really grotty.

It's the adaptive system which creates the antigen response, I also wonder how we would test people who've dealt with covid19 with their innate system after the virus has left their system.

My assumption here is also that people who've dealt with the virus with their innate system wouldn't have any antibodies either so wouldn't show up in antibody tests

Can anyone more educated than me comment?

I found out this morning about something called the innate immunity system which deals with "everyday" infections and the adaptive immunity system which deals with the trickier stuff.

Given the amount of asymptomatic people I wonder if some people have dealt with covid19 through the innate system. When the adaptive system starts working is when you feel really grotty.

It's the adaptive system which creates the antigen response, I also wonder how we would test people who've dealt with covid19 with their innate system after the virus has left their system.

My assumption here is also that people who've dealt with the virus with their innate system wouldn't have any antibodies either so wouldn't show up in antibody tests

Can anyone more educated than me comment?

In short No. Been a while since I’ve done my immunology stuff but no, the immunity is all based on your T cells and B cells which is from the response to the antigen, and then as you probably know, this then leaves some after so if you get reinfected the response is rapid shutting down the pathogen before it has Time to cause symptoms.

All people would have had some form of adaptive immunity. Your symptoms would be based on multiple things. Like how much virus you had in you affecting how quickly it multiplied and how quickly it was shut down before generating symptoms. Also how quick your response was based on things like age and general health.

The whole way a vaccine works is putting something dead or inactive in you, and then you develop the adaptive immunity.

In short No. Been a while since I’ve done my immunology stuff but no, the immunity is all based on your T cells and B cells which is from the response to the antigen, and then as you probably know, this then leaves some after so if you get reinfected the response is rapid shutting down the pathogen before it has Time to cause symptoms.
All people would have had some form of adaptive immunity. Your symptoms would be based on multiple things. Like how much virus you had in you affecting how quickly it multiplied and how quickly it was shut down before generating symptoms. Also how quick your response was based on things like age and general health.
The whole way a vaccine works is putting something dead or inactive in you, and then you develop the adaptive immunity.

T cell don't get particularly well activated by CV-19 apparently and its the adaptive system response that is fecking severely infected/ill people up.

In China some patients remained or returned to being CV-19 positive after recovery and others relapsed into illness which some scientists thought at the time meant a virus-eliminating immune response could be difficult tokick start at least in some patients which might mean not even a vaccine would help them. :spaz:

Yeah, I maybe didn't explain it quite right. I'm not talking about immunity which I understand is based on your adaptive immune system.

I'm more coming from the "have some people dealt with Covid19 using their innate immune system" (i.e. their adaptive immune system didn't get invoked) and what are the implications of this

As I understand it T and B cells are the domain of the adaptive immune system.

Yeah, I maybe didn't explain it quite right. I'm not talking about immunity which I understand is based on your adaptive immune system.

I'm more coming from the "have some people dealt with Covid19 using their innate immune system" (i.e. their adaptive immune system didn't get invoked) and what are the implications of this

As I understand it T and B cells are the domain of the adaptive immune system.

Yeah and the answer is no
(To my knowledge of virology and immunity)

T cell don't get particularly well activated by CV-19 apparently and its the adaptive system response that is fecking severely infected/ill people up.
Well that’s self explanatory isn’t it really. People with weaker immune response (age, diabeates etc.) get more ill than healthy people. Same as any disease, like flu.

Whether it doesn’t activate well I don’t know, I haven’t seen anything about that (haven’t looked either). That would make it similar to HIV in that it hides in cells, therefore not exposing itself to T cells to activate and as a result making a vaccine near impossible.

Well thatÂ’s self explanatory isnÂ’t it really. People with weaker immune response (age, diabeates etc.) get more ill than healthy people. Same as any disease, like flu.

Whether it doesn’t activate well I don’t know, I havenÂ’t seen anything about that (havenÂ’t looked either). That would make it similar to HIV in that it hides in cells, therefore not exposing itself to T cells to activate and as a result making a vaccine near impossible.

The paper published by Nature the day we went into lock-down that was based on an admittedly small sample of 1000 patients said apart from the very young and adolescents, there was an even spread across all age groups, with around 15% of the confirmed cases progressing to a severe illness. Outside the 65 pluses, it didn't think the conventional wisdom based on levels of overall immunity of the infected patients due to age etc was a factor as it didn't explain why such a broad range of ages infected were dying.

There's just so much uncertainty and blank spaces in what we know about this thing that's in part making me very wary of all the announcements by Pharma Co's that they've 'almost' got a vaccine ready, which invariably is seeing their share price shoot through the roof when they do.

The paper published by Nature the day we went into lock-down that was based on an admittedly small sample of 1000 patients said apart from the very young and adolescents, there was an even spread across all age groups, with around 15% of the confirmed cases progressing to a severe illness. Outside the 65 pluses, it didn't think the conventional wisdom based on levels of overall immunity of the infected patients due to age etc was a factor as it didn't explain why such a broad range of ages infected were dying.

There's just so much uncertainty and blank spaces in what we know about this thing that's in part making me very wary of all the announcements by Pharma Co's that they've 'almost' got a vaccine ready, which invariably is seeing their share price shoot through the roof when they do.

Do you have a link to that article about all age groups being affected the same in terms of severity?

Back