• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Coronavirus

You're argument is invalid, you are stating that the only choice we have is to end lock-down now and contemn 250,000 people to death. You're wrong, it is not the only option it is just the quickest and the worst. No one of any consequence without a vested interest agrees with that opinion.
and as above, you go out and infect your entire family and we can discuss it again, until then, as far as I'm concerned, the matters closed

Admittedly it's not ideal but my partner is not in the vulnerable group so we both fall in the 80% category. If I lived with somebody vulnerable I would entirely agree with you. I would not willingly go near anybody who is vulnerable. It is my choice and I am prepared to take the risk if it means the world returns to some semblence of normality. You have merit in much of what you say in fact it's the most realistic and sensible appoach but i do not think it pheasible, given the urgency and complexity.

Isn't the whole idea of capitalism that new industry can rise from the ashes of old ones?

The idea of "permanent" damage to the economy feels like a red herring to me. That's just a way for the currently mega rich to scare the lower classes into maintaining their wealth for them, public health be damned.

Isn't the whole idea of capitalism that new industry can rise from the ashes of old ones?

The idea of "permanent" damage to the economy feels like a red herring to me. That's just a way for the currently mega rich to scare the lower classes into maintaining their wealth for them, public health be damned.

That's a bit simplistic but the capitalist based economies, which is 99% of the world will adapt to many things. You could argue the invention of the internet was the last big jolt to it but sadly the mega rich will be the ones supplying the capital for any new direction to be taken.

It's not the only realistic option, it's just the one you're choosing. I refer the Hon Gentleman to my answer above, as far as I am concerned, the matter is closed

I don't think it was particularly realistic, say we do get 100,000 tests a day - what about everyone else who isn't tested? Or are we relying on people to self report?

Herd immunity is something you achieve in one of two ways acquired immunity or via a vaccine so maybe I should say acquired immunity. Although if we're vulnerable to reinfection as some are suggesting then I have no idea how we ever end this as neither a vaccine nor acquired immunity would give us a defence.

But surely you have to work off the premise that 80% will get through it and by and large be okay after a few shitty days with a few Linda Lusardi scenarios thrown in so concentrate on the 20%. The strategy has to fit that equation. If the 80% build herd immunity then that protects the 20%.

If future habits are reinforced to socially distance you get a hell of a lot of people who are dispensible plus heavy restrictions which make air travel available to the privileged few - and all the Greta followers will whoop whoop until somebody tells them the golfing holiday in the Algarve is now off limits. I don't think people actually realise what is happening and the implications. Consumerism is defunct - it is maxed out. Capitalism is fucked. Somebody pointed out the cycle of Industrialisation >>>> Consumerisn then >>>

953 deaths announced today.

Absolutely shocking.

Bloody hell, that is sobering, that 953 families who've lost a loved one.

The most worrying thing, is that I can't see any easy way out of this, without another spike.

That's been my point during most of this, they're just numbers that flash up on a screen, but everyone is someones loved one.

The most worrying thing, is that I can't see any easy way out of this, without another spike.

That happens every day. Death happens. 28K dies in 2015 from flu. Much like we don't clap fire engines when we see them.

People need to get grip on reality.

People need to get grip on reality.

So sorry for mourning nearly a thousand husbands, wives, brothers, sisters, sons & daughters that died and probably wouldn't have otherwise

Just for comparison if you go to the office for national statistics website and look at deaths we are 1000 more deaths for the last week in March than the average for the previous 5 years. That's a 10% increase.

I imagine April will be much higher.

But surely you have to work off the premise that 80% will get through it and by and large be okay after a few shitty days with a few Linda Lusardi scenarios thrown in so concentrate on the 20%. The strategy has to fit that equation. If the 80% build herd immunity then that protects the 20%.

That's the definition of herd immunity :)

Depressingly, I just find myself becoming a bit numb to the death toll. I was horrified at the figures coming out of Italy and Spain, we are going to be worse off even than them and it is becoming just an ever growing number that I see every day now. We will hit over a 1000 deaths a day very soon and I won't even be shocked by it.

Spoke to a friend who works as a trouble shooter in the NHS today. Latest models predict it won’t peak until end of the month so the idea lockdown will end in 2 weeks seems past unlikely. Add in Boris is recovering and the last thing he will ant is accusations that he got treatment and that won’t be available to everyone and he will be more cautious than he may have been before. The good news is we are improving treatment all the time and it seems supplying oxygen early is more important than putting people on ventilators.

Last edited:
It's actually a 980 death tally today.

Frightening numbers.

Is Hancock admitting that the supply of PPE to frontline workers hasn't been up to the required standard so far as he's laying out a detailed plan of how to put it right?

2 more nightingale hospitals to be set up in Sunderland and Exeter. Are we being safe rather than sorry or will higher hospital admissions be around the corner?

Is Hancock admitting that the supply of PPE to frontline workers hasn't been up to the required standard so far as he's laying out a detailed plan of how to put it right?

There's certainly a bit of that by the looks of things but it looks like we are on the right track. Professor Van Tan is excellent.

These journalists get worse. Do the government only allow questions from utter wankers?

Back