• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Bolton 2-1 Wolves: VERDICT THREAD

You thought Wallace was good Quirk? I thought he was lightweight and fooked up two half chances. Ojo was worse when he came on tho.

There's just no stability at the moment and it all seems to be hanging on Sako going. The awkward formation is obviously down to us not signing/being able to sign a replacement and the only thing I personally take from that is that Kenny still hasn't figured out what to do about it. I'm not convinced this formation will ever gel, it's OK having to iron kinks out but to start from scratch when it's obviously not working is a tall order when results are going against you.. I'd be much happier just trying the 4-2-3-1 and using Ojo as first choice just to get some balance back but maybe that's just FM talking.

Personally I'm not bothered if we don't challenge for promotion this season, I didn't realistically expect it anyway after our transfer dealings were wrapped up (it looks much more like a work in progress to me) but I think Kenny needs to start putting some points on the board quickly just to settle things down. As has been mentioned a quick move back to basics and what works may be what's needed, who knows. Losing to Noblot is shit, losing to them due to a poor performance is even worse. My only real concern is that playing badly is starting to become a bit of a habit. Time to earn your money Ken, you've brought us out of bad patches before, time to do it again.

How did we set up today? The rhombus, a different narrow formation or a flat 4-4-2, i've seen all 3 said from different people.

Hardly suprising result, the teams weaker than last season and we are a very average team that will doss around midtable.
Sorry thing is the league looks poorer this season too.

Seems KJ is still scratching around trying to find his best starting 11, we've conceded in every competitive game this season and if you have to score at least 2 per game to win you've got no chance of getting out this league.
The back at the moment simply isn't good enough EEL and Hause may become decent players but there decision making is poor to say the least.
Even with DB back in the side we'll concede far to many to mount a serious challenge.

Poor result, Bolton hadn't won a game yet had they? Season is quickly looking like it could be shit.

Terrible team selection. Why does every manager revert to Edwards in the middle of a 442? Has it ever worked? Ikeme dropping is harsh, which doesn't help such a young defence (I was hoping iorfa would come back in)

We need to find a solution and quickly, KJ has done it previously but I worry we don't have the quality to sustain a long run of form.

.............Ikeme
Iorfa EBL Hause Golbourne
........McDonald Coady
......Byrne Wallace Ojo
..............Afobe

Play this lot for a bit and see how they get on. Should be more than able at this level.

I think I would play that. Harsh on Henry maybe.

You thought Wallace was good Quirk? I thought he was lightweight and fooked up two half chances. Ojo was worse when he came on tho.

I thought he was very good Lycan. Granted he had two chances he fluffed and he visible tired in the second half which wasn't surprising. However first half I thought his movement and him wanted a quick ball played in over the top or through the middle was good to see. He got into some good positions and I hope with more fitness under his belt he'll continue on.

Thought Coady did well for 60 minutes and the link up from Afobe and ALF was good as well. Again the backline bar Hause for me who was marginally the better of the four was very poor, Doherty and Golbourne got over whelmed and out of position a few times, and EEL was like a rabbit in headlights.

.............Ikeme
Iorfa EBL Hause Golbourne
........McDonald Coady
......Byrne Wallace Ojo
..............Afobe

Play this lot for a bit and see how they get on. Should be more than able at this level.

Yep...That would be the XI for me but they must be given a run of games. We all know that Edwards won't be dropped though

I think I would play that. Harsh on Henry maybe.

Henry just about nudged Golbourne for the worst player on the pitch. Wouldnt have him anywhere near the team next week.

Yep...That would be the XI for me but they must be given a run of games. We all know that Edwards won't be dropped though

Then god help us then Mike. Edwards fanny and strode around the pitch in his usual huff and puff style, but had zero impact on anything apart from putting a chance into the side netting. Im just a wondering of we had Macca to come off that bench in the second half we would have got the equaliser. The only way we looked dangerous was from Afobe and ALF as a partnership, nothing really came in from the flanks and nothing in through the middle in behind for the front two.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, it exposes the absolute nonsense of the binary "he scored last week so he should play" thinking. We all know full well that Edwards cannot play there, so we end up wasting a game shoehorning him in and losing.

We're underperforming at the moment principally because nearly every game we have better players sat on the bench than those starting. We aren't good enough to get away with that.

Henry just about nudged Golbourne for the worst player on the pitch. Wouldnt have him anywhere near the team next week.

I like James however today he got my goat time after time, the amount of times he dwelled on the ball and got disposed was awful.

Its all very well lambasting Edwards in the CM role and I wouldn't play him there but who today could have? Mcdonalds obviously injured or his heads gone or maybe just out of favour and Price is injured. The way the squad is currently Saville either needs to picked and given a run or got rid of

Saville was on the bench, he could have played. Rowe is still at the club, I don't rate him but he is far more of a central midfielder than Edwards ever has been or will be.

I find absolutely perverse how last season Edwards eventually got nudged into the exact right role for him - impact sub, occasionally starting in tough away games where we can't play two up top and he starts in his proper position off the striker - and now this season he's on the pitch for virtually every minute of every game, the whole team shuffled around to accomodate him and the manager picking him in positions where he just cannot play. We've only played six games and he's already had four different positions. Colin Lee used to do it with Emblen and it annoyed the fuck out of me then.

Its all very well lambasting Edwards in the CM role and I wouldn't play him there but who today could have? Mcdonalds obviously injured or his heads gone or maybe just out of favour and Price is injured. The way the squad is currently Saville either needs to picked and given a run or got rid of

McDonald isn't injured, as per the manager. I don't believe it though

Another problem for me is that with each poor performance and loss the confidence of the younger players will dwindle. We are already gambling on Ojo, Wallace and Byrne being able to step up having never played at this level, these lads plus Iorfa, Hause, and EEL to not just have that ability but also to have the character and strength to drag the side forwards, for me it is asking too much of too many players.

Well for me our team is too young and inexperienced, talented but its not enough, end of..

Flat away day in general.. Martinez motm for me couple of decent early saves and a few late on, iorfra should of started after training with England, would've of had such a buzz, stearman shouldn't of been sold, eel jeez that challenge for pen!! Edwards not a centre mid ( said 100's of times) le fondre won pen nearly won another only got in to game last 20, game was crying out for pace!! Only one sub frustrating vlp/Byrne should've of come on, highlight girl at half time slipping over on beer on concourse floor twice (she was OK)

Back