• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves v Rotherham - the build up

You might get lucky, baby pops out and you leave her to rest with the little 'un between the hours of 3 and 5.

(Good luck Maccy)

Old "vital goals" Edwards currently has a whole one more league goal for Wolves this season than Afobe despite the latter only making his debut a month ago.

Old "vital goals" Edwards currently has a whole one more league goal for Wolves this season than Afobe despite the latter only making his debut a month ago.

But he runs around a lot....

Went up to Compton this morning and the lads were practising a 3-5-2 formation.

Looked awful as well. :disco:

3-5-2 ..... Marvelous!

Won't happen. For one thing it basically means Sako can't play.

To be fair, with Hause Batth and Stearman we have the ideal defenders and Golbourne and Iorfa would be good full backs. Also ensures we have Afobe and Dicko on the pitch. However it makes Sako, VLP and Henry redundant

Even more concerning would be - RVLP = Wingback

The solution to us struggling for goals and creativity at home is not to lamp another superfluous centre half in the team at the probable expense of our joint top scorer. And certainly not when you're playing Rotherham. Without even considering what a shit formation 3-5-2 is and how fundamentally easy it is to negate.

Like I say, won't happen.

This continual quest of Kenny Jackett to find a place for Dave Edwards is getting farcical. Forget Edwards and start playing through the thirds to create chances. If you must go 3 at the back play 3 up the front then balance the midfield.

3-5-2 only works if Hause (LCB) and Stears (RCB) play as full backs and one of the centre midfielders drops in to a CB role when we don't have possession. We don't have a central midfielder to do that job and Stears hasn't been a decent right back for years. Essentially we would be trying to play 3-1-2-3-1 (the old Ajax system). It would be a terrible idea that probably only Van Gaal would try.

I'd sack Jackett immediately if he tried it.

There are just so many reasons why it wouldn't work. Iorfa and Golbourne are both very good attacking full backs - the latter has more to that side of his game at the moment but Iorfa brings plenty too. Great. That does not mean that you can use them as the main/only attacking outlets down the flanks. Sunderland played this nonsense formation last season for a while and Phil Bardsley was frequently their most attacking player and had more possession than anyone else in the final third. Unsurprisingly it was awful and they sank to the bottom of the table.

I'm not going to get worked up about it though as Ken won't do it.

I just hope at some time this season Kenny Jackett plays Michael Jacobs in the ten role for three or four matches and Jacobs fails to inspire. It would shut me and a considerable number of fans up who think Jacobs is the missing link, not any new fangled system of play.

I just hope at some time this season Kenny Jackett plays Michael Jacobs in the ten role for three or four matches and Jacobs fails to inspire. It would shut me and a considerable number of fans up who think Jacobs is the missing link, not any new fangled system of play.

Whilst I accept he's not played in the number 10 role this season, Jacobs has looked poor in the other admittedly limited opportunities he's had. I really don't see the justification for him to start. Perhaps as a sub, but gotta be honest, if we're a goal behind, bringing him on wouldn't fill me with confidence.

I'd rather bring Jacobs on than swap right backs when we're chasing a goal, as Ken has done three times in the last month I think. I also think Jacobs would be a better option than bringing Edwards on when we're 1-0 down so he can chase the opposition's defensive midfielder more than Dicko was doing.

Probably won't make this one. Currently in triage at New Cross as the missus's waters broke last night :eek:hnoes:

Hope all goes well for you both! It was 3 weeks ago today that I was at New Cross welcoming a new arrival.

Mind you, it's a poor excuse for missing a match :icon_wink:

Agreed. I still wonder if some of that has been about protecting Iorfa, or he's carrying an injury.

I think there's a clamour to get Jacobs back in a he's the saviour kinda way. He hasn't been pulling up trees for the U21s either IIRC, so I think there's something else there. I am surprised he hasn't gone out on loan.

Back