• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves v Newcastle 11/01/2020 Build Up Thread

We looked fucked today at times devoid of ideas and a bit mentally shot. Without depth this is as good as it gets. That’s a shame . To me it’s ruining a ship for a haapeth of tar. We are two or three players from being a consistent top 7 side.

How many other teams are saying exactly the same thing? Who are those 2-3 players, and how do we persuade them to join us?

How many other teams are saying exactly the same thing? Who are those 2-3 players, and how do we persuade them to join us?

That is the job of the recruitment team. They get paid handsomely to do the job. Fully aware it's not easy.

That is the job of the recruitment team. They get paid handsomely to do the job. Fully aware it's not easy.

We have uncle Jorge. That should be an advantage but that has not been evident in the last twelve months. It was before.

We have uncle Jorge. That should be an advantage but that has not been evident in the last twelve months. It was before.

You wouldn't make a very good con man.

1) Absolutely no-one has said we shouldn't sign players, where has this come from? I want them, you want them, the manager wants them, I assume the club wants them

2) This has nothing to do with the initial discussion

3) So, I don't care. I think we'll end up where I imagined we would, somewhere between 8th and 12th, all being well we'll be in at least the last 16 of the Europa League, this is with or without signings

I don't see any of this as a struggle when three years ago we were 17th in the Championship.

That is spot on. Everyone knows we all want to sign players, that doesn’t mean we need to panic or post about it every 5 minutes.

That is spot on. Everyone knows we all want to sign players, that doesn’t mean we need to panic or post about it every 5 minutes.

Agreed. That said, I think Cyber paints a realistic picture of where we are at (but glass half empty, where as this is a glass half full kind of forum) and his opinion is completely valid too.

Newcastle dropped all XI into their defensive third, it left no space for Adama and putting him up top would've solved nothing. Oddly it was a day for a poacher to play alongside Raul in the second half and get on the end of a Neto/ Traore cross.

In that instance you need to have players between the midfield line and the defenders. Also Adama is superb at taking the ball turning and running at defenders even in tight areas, it may well have caused a few problems

That's really not Adama's game. As Newcastle shut him out in the main by putting more players around him.

Adama is far better when he has one player at a time to beat and space to use his pace.

That's really not Adama's game. As Newcastle shut him out in the main by putting more players around him.

Adama is far better when he has one player at a time to beat and space to use his pace.

Yeah it's easier out wide especially if he can go 1 on 1, just watch him sometime with 3 or 4 round him and skips past them be interesting to see how it works infield.
And lets be honest what we were doing was not working.

Our issues yesterday

Doc was way off his average performance
Neto is not the answer as a starter, I like the guy but at best he is an impact player coming on when defences tire.
No real options to do anything different unless different is 10 step overs and a spanner into the South Bank. I really like Vinagre but he has a lot to do before he is a dependable regular. He needs the same level of coaching traore has had.
We had 2 glorious chances from 3 / 4 yards out and made it too easy for their keeper.

The save from the Neto header was superb. As was the one from Raul in the first half. And Dubravka somehow got the ball out for a corner when it looked like Traore was going round him and about to walk the ball into the net.

Their keeper had a really good game, and we weren't fully at it. And that's why we leaked two points.

The save from the Neto header was superb. As was the one from Raul in the first half. And Dubravka somehow got the ball out for a corner when it looked like Traore was going round him and about to walk the ball into the net.

Their keeper had a really good game, and we weren't fully at it. And that's why we leaked two points.
Kind if balancing things out after it was only two Dubravka howlers that helped us come away with wins last season.

Kind if balancing things out after it was only two Dubravka howlers that helped us come away with wins last season.

We drew at home, late equaliser.

Dissapointing game - some have commented on the lack of subs, but tbh if you looked at the bench it's a struggle to see what we could have brought on to make any real difference which is a reflection on where we are at the moment (a fit Boly & Jota would have given us some options).

Do agree with an earlier post to have moved Jonny across to bring Vinagre on as Doherty wasn't at it at all - passing was off as was his positioning. Saw him almost playing CF ahead of Raul at one point in the second half & had to be bailed out by Traore who was fast enough to get back and cover when he went absent.

Don't know if either Kilman or Saiss can play the right side role as until Boly is back then think that those 2 plus Coady would be the most secure back line.

Officiating was crap from all inc the Asst Ref on the BW side - we could all see from the top of the upper stand which way a decision should go & he was promptly giving it the other way from 4 yards.

Dubravka played well, but we should have not given him the chance & got more attempts onto him.

Dissapointing game - some have commented on the lack of subs, but tbh if you looked at the bench it's a struggle to see what we could have brought on to make any real difference which is a reflection on where we are at the moment (a fit Boly & Jota would have given us some options).

Do agree with an earlier post to have moved Jonny across to bring Vinagre on as Doherty wasn't at it at all - passing was off as was his positioning. Saw him almost playing CF ahead of Raul at one point in the second half & had to be bailed out by Traore who was fast enough to get back and cover when he went absent.

Don't know if either Kilman or Saiss can play the right side role as until Boly is back then think that those 2 plus Coady would be the most secure back line.

Officiating was crap from all inc the Asst Ref on the BW side - we could all see from the top of the upper stand which way a decision should go & he was promptly giving it the other way from 4 yards.

Dubravka played well, but we should have not given him the chance & got more attempts onto him.

You obviously couldn't see that well. 'He' was a 'she' ;)

My apologies, in my mind I mistakenly read BW as SB. He must have had a shocker though to compare badly against Sian on the SB side. Clearly instructed to wait for the referees decision, when she did go 'solo' she got most things wrong. I've seen her several times previously and thought she's done okay but I don't think she was helped yesterday by a generally weak performance by the official in charge.

Sian is generally good but she was appalling yesterday.

Went downhill after she had that decision (rightly) reversed, seemed to lose her confidence.

It's a shame as I really think she is very good, but she just had a bad day at the office yesterday. It happens. It doesn't make her a bad official.

Back