• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves v Newcastle 11/01/2020 Build Up Thread

Whatever way you look at it that’s a shit result, Newcastle are awful, got loads of injuries and have Steve fucking Bruce as manager. Not having any kind of threat to bring off the bench is a really bad state of affairs too.

Indeed.

Should have won. We weren't terrible today but way below our best against a very poor side but still - 2 points dropped.

Frustratingly poor games from the ref and the assistant on the Steve Bull side - getting incredibly basic things wrong.

Needed a bit more cutting edge but it was one of those days, unfortunately.

But for a couple of world class saves by the Newcastle keeper, we'd have pissed that. Shit happens.

Only saw second half but thought the lack of options killed it, Wolves had all of the play but too many players out of sorts to be able to take advantage of it. Jimenez the biggest problem for me, don't think I saw him involved once without either giving the ball away and/or fouling someone. His touch was all over the place and any sort of viable alternative should have seen him withdrawn but obviously there isn't one at the moment.

I wish traore would sprint off the ball more often. He just bloody stands there waiting for the ball to feet, never looking for the ball in behind. We're really easy to defend against though, the play has no tempo to it and relies on technical ability rather than intelligent off the ball movement. We don't drag players out of position enough, we just play in front of them. Newcastle are terrible, but we had no real answers to fairly basic defensive organisation and that's been an issue for 18 months now tbf. We could a player as good or better than (but in the mould of) Jota, and then between him, Raul, Adama and the new ad they'd all see plenty of football. We're at the level now that any incoming are going to cost £40+, and we really need to start doing that now

Frustrating performance and result, another early dloppy goal conceded and not putting one of the three good chances away. Doc and Traore not at their best (apart from the cross for Raul). Wil have to see if we get some attacking options in the window

Today shouldn’t be a surprise, we have struggled on a number of occasions to break so called poorer teams down and our reputation is such that we are seen as a scalp.
We have developed a style of play which is a million miles better than some of the past drivel we’ve been served, on its day we can and do beat anyone, even give the mighty Liverpool a run for their money, but we are far from the finished article.
I’m totally bought into the Nuno philosophy, however it’s clear that we need at least 3 or 4 fresh faces with greater quality at RB, CB, CM and CF as many are running on fumes and playing on instinct
Toon deserve their point just to watch that rubbish, as normal they turn into Barca against us, next week they’ll roll over and get their bellies tickled and get stuffed 3 nil to someone like Brighton or West Ham

Cant blame Nuno, he has zero options on the bench.

Of course you can blame him. Running our starting 11 into the ground isn't really doing much for us, now is it?

Of course you can blame him. Running our starting 11 into the ground isn't providing much benefit either, now is it?

What option has he got? Anyone he brings in from that bench represents a very noticeable drop off in quality.

I mean you can't say you want to keep a small squad, then blame a lack of options when you have injury or tiredness problems, which you knew well ahead of time was going to happen

Fact of the matter is we haven't got the strength in depth of quality players. Just wstching the live game now: Spurs bring Lamella on, Liverpool Lallana and Origi. Says it all really.
Fosun need to step up.
Maybe sign a ref or two as well.

Fact of the matter is we haven't got the strength in depth of quality players. Just wstching the live game now: Spurs bring Lamella on, Liverpool Lallana and Origi. Says it all really.
Fosun need to step up.
Maybe sign a ref or two as well.

I would not take Origi.
Lamela possibly as back up.

There was a graphic at half time that showed roughly 55% of our attacks were down our left and less than 25% down our right. Given that Adama is currently our only serious attacking threat what kind of mind numbing stupidity is this? New players aren't necessarily the only answer, playing smarter football might help. Though I guess the generally poor performance of Doc today accounts for some of this lopsided stat.

Adama was being double marked. Fairly obvious to move it to the other side where there is more space.

Adama was being double marked. Fairly obvious to move it to the other side where there is more space.

Which is why you need better from Doc. His performance was crap today. Still more than 2:1 in favour of left over right side doesn't make a lot of sense. You have to find a way to get your best attacking threat involved more.

Interesting game.

I don't think we were very good. Adama still had four excellent moments, and the one at the end where he touched it and then it hit the heel of Dubravka was a proper shame. Without that, Adama is walking it into the net.

Newcastle were shitehouse. And we gifted the position to them for Almiron to provide an absolutely excellent finish. It was really good, but totally stemmed from us being a bit cack.

Our goal. Hello Stefa Barnsa - have you watched the Wolves tapes lately? Clearly not, as you allow Dendoncker to do exactly the same thing again.

It was an okay sort of game. Bit frustrating not to win, but that's the way it goes sometimes.

EDIT: Forgot to say - MOTM is Dubravka. That is a seriously good keeper up there in Geordie land. Quality.

That’s not what he said is it? It’s about having alternatives to break the opposition down. We didn’t have a winger to put on for that, the Vinagre sub shows that.

Personally I would have put Jonny to the right and Vinagre on the left. Doherty isn’t showing his best form right now and it means Traore is easier to defend as a result

Doc was very poor today. Having said that, his outside to inside runs took players away and allowed Adama space. One such run allowed Adama to get a fantastic cross into the box. Adama himself was pretty poor with his end product today and whilst Neto was good I think we miss an extra presence on the box that Jota gives us.

Back