• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves v Newcastle 11/01/2020 Build Up Thread

Definitely think we are missing Jota. Traore and Neto are both wingers, we miss that player able to bring it inside and play Raul through. Traore can do that, but it’s not his forte. Thought he might have brought MGW on as something a little different, but might be a bit early for that.

Definitely think we are missing Jota. Traore and Neto are both wingers, we miss that player able to bring it inside and play Raul through. Traore can do that, but it’s not his forte. Thought he might have brought MGW on as something a little different, but might be a bit early for that.

I would have maybe moved Traore up top with raul, and put MGW behind them.for the last 20, took Neto Off

That would cost us a lot of width though. Not sure I would want us to be so narrow up front. Interesting idea though.

That would cost us a lot of width though. Not sure I would want us to be so narrow up front. Interesting idea though.

Our width offered nothing today though. Playing wide and putting crosses in was exactly what played into their hands, same as we did with City.

Adama wasn't poor. That's nonsense.

Don't think you've read that very well I said Adama's end product was pretty poor bar two crosses and a shot on goal.

He gave the ball away more than normal too. It was a drop from his performances of late.

We needed someone like Neto off the bench. Jota starting and Neto coming on and we win.

More like we needed someone like Jota on the pitch! Our paper-thin squad is running on empty. I can't even be annoyed with the performance, just very, very disappointed that we are so depleted as not to be able to defeat opposition like that. Our first team would likely have won today, as you say, and I believe even the team we put out would have won had it been matchday 1. They're just being asked to do too much, imo.

I would have maybe moved Traore up top with raul, and put MGW behind them.for the last 20, took Neto Off

Newcastle dropped all XI into their defensive third, it left no space for Adama and putting him up top would've solved nothing. Oddly it was a day for a poacher to play alongside Raul in the second half and get on the end of a Neto/ Traore cross.

Why can't anyone start a bloody verdict thread lately? Christ.

Anyway we weren't great but still should have won. Can't keep giving teams a goal start, especially when they'd be happy with a point from the outset. A truly dreadful one to gift them. Crap pass, worse touch. Donck and Doc were both awful all day, thankfully Saiss and Coady both played really well.

We're a bit one dimensional at the moment and if you can restrict Adama to operating from deep then we're extremely limited. I will never knock Neves or Moutinho but they're also never going to break into the box and that bothers us when we have so much focus on playing from wide - there's no-one to aim for a lot of the time.

I like Neto and there's a lot of potential there but at the minute not much is running for him.

Just two good saves by Dubravka I think, not blaming us too much for not putting those away, we simply have to create more.

Newcastle - small club mentality these days. Celebrating like they'd won the World Cup at the end. Er, you drew at Wolves, lads. How the mighty have fallen.

All too predictable. Get the ball wide and if we do get it into the box they had three people marking Raul who was all alone. We need to think about going through the middle occasionally and the fact we seem incapable of doing so without Jota clearly illustrates how we need to strengthen the squad.

But I have to add something here. This is nothing new

We have won 7 games this season. Two remarkable results against the champions. Then its wins against villa Watford Norwich Bournemouth west ham. That's it. Five of the bottom six and a loss to one of them in the return fixture. 2 points against the toon. 8 other draws. If we want to keep the players we have we obviously need more depth or the players will be knackered or break. Its amazing more haven't broken.

16 times this season we have fallen behind. 16 in 22 games. That's awful. We can't and won't sustain any sort of challenge with those stats even if we sign ten players next week. We must have given 8 goals away at home this season and that's sloppy. Today we failed to beat a weakened rancid Newcastle. Now they can be a decent team. But they looked awful today and again we don't win.

We have to play united in the cup. Many on here say they're shit. They are fifth. Their reserves would beat our reserves by five. We also have to go to Southampton where we were awful last year. Then we have Espanol. That will take us past 40 games before early February. If we don't buy quality back up I fear we could hit a very big wall and drop like a stone. A bad month and you're down in the weeds. We cannot rest on our laurels. We have shown we need to strengthen. Now we really need to do it or I really fear we could struggle

Struggle :icon_lol:

Anyway I thought it *was* a new thing for us to beat five of the bottom six?

Mate, you can contribute normally so can the narratives.

Struggle :icon_lol:

Anyway I thought it *was* a new thing for us to beat five of the bottom six?

Mate, you can contribute normally so can the narratives.

Yes it makes a change. But can you really see the majority of the existing squad playing 50 or moire games ? I can't.

Burnley
Southampton
Newcastle
Spurs
Chelsea
Sheffield united
Man united

Have all left with 1 or 3 points. We still have to visit 6 of those.

So?

Define what you mean by "struggle" please because if you genuinely think we're going to get sucked into a relegation fight despite sitting on 31 points in mid-January then I may have to train it down to Cambridgeshire to slap you.

All that will possibly happen is our league form peters out and we will have an uninspiring 12th or something as we pile all our eggs In the europa league basket.

Hopefully we get some good players in to stay competitive. But having failed to win the two winnable games we’ve got a tough spell coming up over the next 5 games. Now you can’t say we will have blown it in mid Feb, but 4th is now pretty much looking out of reach and you don’t know how long Spurs, Utd and Arsenal will stay bad for.

4th was never in the equation IMO. People just get giddy.

So?

Define what you mean by "struggle" please because if you genuinely think we're going to get sucked into a relegation fight despite sitting on 31 points in mid-January then I may have to train it down to Cambridgeshire to slap you.

If we don't sign some depth we will not get 20 points from our remaining games. That's 5 5 6 which is a distinct possibility with our fixtures. That won't get us in Europe.

OK we won't get relegated. Every silver lining and all that.

1) Absolutely no-one has said we shouldn't sign players, where has this come from? I want them, you want them, the manager wants them, I assume the club wants them

2) This has nothing to do with the initial discussion

3) So, I don't care. I think we'll end up where I imagined we would, somewhere between 8th and 12th, all being well we'll be in at least the last 16 of the Europa League, this is with or without signings

I don't see any of this as a struggle when three years ago we were 17th in the Championship.

1) Absolutely no-one has said we shouldn't sign players, where has this come from? I want them, you want them, the manager wants them, I assume the club wants them

2) This has nothing to do with the initial discussion

3) So, I don't care. I think we'll end up where I imagined we would, somewhere between 8th and 12th, all being well we'll be in at least the last 16 of the Europa League, this is with or without signings

I don't see any of this as a struggle when three years ago we were 17th in the Championship.

So going backwards is going to keep players of the calibre of Neves, Raul,Moutinho,Jonny,Traore, Rui. ?

I doubt they'll leave if we finish 9th if that's what you mean.

We had this discussion a few weeks ago and you ended up backpedalling when I pointed out that perpetually qualifying for Europe as soon as you've done it once simply doesn't happen unless you're Man City who have the rather large advantage of being effectively backed by a country.

We looked fucked today at times devoid of ideas and a bit mentally shot. Without depth this is as good as it gets. That’s a shame . To me it’s ruining a ship for a haapeth of tar. We are two or three players from being a consistent top 7 side.

Back