• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 3 - Bristol 3 the more excitement in one game than the whole of last season ve

Really? That's just bizarre. A bit like the Jota booking and the ref's performance in the 2nd half.
Jota tripped/blocked a player in our build up. Not sure if it was intentional.

We needed this ref in the Cardiff game!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

That was my take on it, free kick was taken 5 or 6 yards from where Batth challenged and the ref made a point of erm pointing that out.

But strangely he had a word with Batth, thought he was going to book him. Not sure he knew at that point where he was or what he was doing

As for those saying Leo isn't good enough - he's never played football in this country before, yet has equalled the goal tally of any of our strikers from last season by mid-September after only 7 matches, looks more than likely to get good chances every time he plays, has really good link up play, is the most intelligent striker we've seen here in years and is still only 23. If he continues to get into good positions and create chances for others which he does every time he's played thus far, he'll prove to be an excellent signing. So far so good IMO.

I'm not quite sure why people are demanding more from him. He's great. I'm a fan.

As for those saying Leo isn't good enough - he's never played football in this country before, yet has equalled the goal tally of any of our strikers from last season by mid-September after only 7 matches, looks more than likely to get good chances every time he plays, has really good link up play, is the most intelligent striker we've seen here in years and is still only 23. If he continues to get into good positions and create chances for others which he does every time he's played thus far, he'll prove to be an excellent signing. So far so good IMO.

I'm not quite sure why people are demanding more from him. He's great. I'm a fan.

Totally agree! :)

Clear penalty on Batth for me. That type of force anywhere on the pitch outside the box is a free kick. Can't go wiping players out like that.

Jota tripped/blocked a player in our build up. Not sure if it was intentional.

We needed this ref in the Cardiff game!

Jota was running past the player and clipped his ankle as Jota was running to catch up with Vinagre (again right in front of my eyeline). Everybody looked surprised as it wasn't even a free kick as the player didn't even fall over. A nonsense of a booking.

Don't agree with you on the Batth free kick as the player took the free kick 5 yards in front of Batth's tackle where nobody was standing. As Kenny said the ref then had a word with Batth. Not sure how you can tell what the referee was pointing at without being the actual referee as the players didn't have a clue. Unless of course you are the referee in which case I take it all back and can you explain why you were so fucking shite.

I watched the video clip on Twitter that Penk referred to earlier, I'll try and link it when I find it again.

Shows the defender going up for a header with I think Bonatini, winning it but getting no distance on it so then he goes up again to complete the clearance. It's at this point that Batth comes charging in and makes contact with the player but never even gets off the ground so in my eyes it's difficult to argue that he's even challenging for the ball let alone the man being fouled.

So coming back to your comparison to a player getting wiped out in a tackle, I'd view the Bristol player as the one being in possession as he'd won the previous header and was looking to complete his clearance, Batth then comes in late and makes no real challenge for the ball but cleans the Bristol player out.

The Bristol player lead with his elbow, there was no way he could win that header without hurting Baath. Baath lead with his head rather than his elbow.

Control of the ball doesn't come into it, for me it's the same as winning the ball with a two footed challenge.

The highlights are up, over 4 minutes on the Wolves YouTube channel

Ah yes 4 mins.

2nd half. 4 goals, 6 subs,
3 stoppages for injuries and we got 4 additional mins for all that. Someone must have been worried about missing a train home.

The Bristol player lead with his elbow, there was no way he could win that header without hurting Baath. Baath lead with his head rather than his elbow.

Control of the ball doesn't come into it, for me it's the same as winning the ball with a two footed challenge.
He didn't lead with his elbow at all, his arm is relatively low but because Batth doesn't jump it ends up around around his head height. No way does it compare to a two footed challenge.

If I were comparing it to an incident on the ground then it would be as though the Bristol player had cut out a pass and then gone to clear it with the Wolves player coming across late and running into him.

Batth isn't challenging for that ball, he doesn't even off the ground, the City player looks a bit untidy because he's jumping forward to reach the ball. He doesn't 'go through' Batth or any of that nonsense, they arrive at the ball from opposite directions, City player goes for the header and gets it unchallenged as Batth just runs into him.

I understand you are looking at a clip from the south bank. My own particular view was from the Steve Bull so a side on view and I don't agree with what you have written at any point.

Have you seen the Batth tackle that led directly to their penalty?

Pen all day long - Baath wants to head the ball and defender takes him out to ensure that he wins the ball

Its as clear as day - dangerous play - yellow card and a pen

He won the ball cleanly and then took Batth. Never a penalty.

I've tagged you into a replay on Twitter - have a look.

Ive seen it - defender was only able to win header by taking Danny out - dangerous play - yellow card and certain pen

Ah yes 4 mins.

2nd half. 4 goals, 6 subs,
3 stoppages for injuries and we got 4 additional mins for all that. Someone must have been worried about missing a train home.
Talk of the ref being from Stafford. So he was probably home before a lot of the crowd.

He didn't lead with his elbow at all, his arm is relatively low but because Batth doesn't jump it ends up around around his head height. No way does it compare to a two footed challenge.

If I were comparing it to an incident on the ground then it would be as though the Bristol player had cut out a pass and then gone to clear it with the Wolves player coming across late and running into him.

Batth isn't challenging for that ball, he doesn't even off the ground, the City player looks a bit untidy because he's jumping forward to reach the ball. He doesn't 'go through' Batth or any of that nonsense, they arrive at the ball from opposite directions, City player goes for the header and gets it unchallenged as Batth just runs into him.

I put a screenshot of the incident on that twitter thread that, to me, looks like he heads with an elbow.

There is a rule that says tackles must not jeopardise the well-being of another player (or words to that effect)

I put a screenshot of the incident on that twitter thread that, to me, looks like he heads with an elbow.

There is a rule that says tackles must not jeopardise the well-being of another player (or words to that effect)

Lets not forget the blatent trip on Bright later on - another stonewall pen IMO

I am in no doubt that the ref cost us two points - I know we missed chances but if he had done his job properly then we win 5-3 and other missed chances are irrelevant

Even a Bristol supporting friend of mine who was there texted me to say that the ref gave them everything - thought we should have had 2 pens and as lino did not give theirs then the ref was guessing as he was wrong side !!!

His challenge didn't jeopardise anything, the only reason his elbow would've come into contact with Batth's head during that incident is because Batth didn't jump. If Batth was up in the air alongside the City player, as you'd expect him to be if actually wanted to have any chance of winning the ball, then the City players arm would've been down near Batth's ribs and been no threat whatsoever.

Batth was never winning that ball, he was nowhere near it, he didn't even challenge for it, no way it's a penalty.

Is the exact job he is there for. We don' play 4-4-2..his main job is to bring Jota, Cav or whoever into play and he does that.

On his chances last night

1) Couldn't miss - but perfect position to score it
2) Should have hit the target and tested the keeper. Not a clear cut chance and similar to one he had v Millwall and the keeper made a good save
3) Came to him at pace, not as easy as it looked.

If Leo continues to score at the rate he is he will be getting 15 easily and creating a crap load more

at the current rate, that 15 goals would be worth 15 points. Better conversion rate gets us promoted, current one doesn't

Back