• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 3 - Bristol 3 the more excitement in one game than the whole of last season ve

Referee sounded shit again and no matter what anyway ones they have a massive impact on the game and are doing so against us quite frequently right now.

I thought Nuno reacted well to this about referee's performance saying it is a tough job (as it is of course) and not wanting to be overly critical. He is more concerned about protecting our players as we are getting a right kicking. Unfortunately I think Nuno will have to just get used to this for the time being!

I've seen a video from the stands of the foul on Batth from that angle looks like we should have had a penalty.

He reacted well when it happened.....he was furious

On the tackles, Jota was proper targeted in the 1st half, luckily he can take it and it doesn't stop him.

I've not seen it again, but at the game I thought it was a penalty based on the reckless way their player went in to the challenge. He won the ball and 10 years ago that would be good defending, but you can't wipe a player out with your follow through like that anymore

It's a clear pen.

The ref got so many obvious calls wrong and penalised where nothing was merited (we got a foul given against us because man mountain Jota "blocked off" one of their players when Vinagre was running with the ball 20 yards away...wtf), he was appalling.

We got away with a few as well, he was dire for both teams.

Thought he missed a penalty for Bright, too, though admittedly I only got the one look at it, but Bright was sandwiched in the box by two defenders, one of whom went through Bright's back to get the ball.

Agree with the general consensus it's a clear pen, as was the one on a Jota where he gets pulled over. There was a player mauled at the front post from one of our corners who I couldn't see as he was piled on by the two Bristol players and Bright got a good kicking in the area but because he didn't go down he didn't get a pen.

I'm baffled on the Coady tackle and N'Daiye only had to breathe on a Bristol player to give away a foul. As shocking a second half refereeing display I've ever seen.

Thought he missed a penalty for Bright, too, though admittedly I only got the one look at it, but Bright was sandwiched in the box by two defenders, one of whom went through Bright's back to get the ball.
He got the ball, no penalty IMO (I am centre left SB and had a good view). Brights gonna have start coming up with the goods I like the lad and want him to succeed but this overplaying he does is not helping the team at all. You can't play with your head down looking at the ball for long and still know where your team mates in space are.

It's a clear pen.

The ref got so many obvious calls wrong and penalised where nothing was merited (we got a foul given against us because man mountain Jota "blocked off" one of their players when Vinagre was running with the ball 20 yards away...wtf), he was appalling.

We got away with a few as well, he was dire for both teams.

Cardiff did that 3/4 times and nothing given. It's so frustrating

The Batth challenge is a penalty for me you can't launch into someone like that anywhere on the pitch, its reckless. If that's OK we might as well allow tackles from behind and 2 footers again. 30 years ago not a pen in today's game it's a pen every day of the week for me.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

The Batth challenge is a penalty for me you can't launch into someone like that anywhere on the pitch, its reckless. If that's OK we might as well allow tackles from behind and 2 footers again. 30 years ago not a pen in today's game it's a pen every day of the week for me.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

If he Baath challenge in the lead up to their penalty is a foul because it's reckless then so is this

Had to leave at HT. Last game probably for a while. So pissed off!

Only 3 points behind #1 though and we're still improving. Vinagre's amazing pass to Bonatini? Vinagre's shit weak-footed shot I think. Still it went in

If he Baath challenge in the lead up to their penalty is a foul because it's reckless then so is this

I thought it was Coady but yes you are correct. A perfectly timed tackle but it did take the man. The ref was anything but consistent especially as he has punished the exact same offence from Baker in the centre of the field against Jota and booked Baker for it.

I thought it was Coady but yes you are correct. A perfectly timed tackle but it did take the man. The ref was anything but consistent especially as he has punished the exact same offence from Baker in the centre of the field against Jota and booked Baker for it.

Another shocking one was when he booked Brownhill for tripping Jota up from behind when he was on the break but then when Brownhill did exactly the same thing against Cavaleiro he let him off with just a free kick.

It’s disappointing that we haven’t won the game, their goals were really scrappy, where we failed to deal with big old blokes in our box, however Flint has an excellent goal scoring record for a CB, with 2 in 2 at Molineux now. Set pieces aside we looked really comfortable, their only real threat seemed to be Leko, and he faded drastically second half, and then replaced. If we can tighten up on set pieces – and I think dropping Miranda will help with that too, as he is simply not dominant enough, then teams will struggle to score past us.

Ruddy – Flapped at the corner for Flint’s goal, he was slightly impeded, but not fouled, felt he was a bit slow to react to the effort that hit the post too, distribution was very good, and it was interesting, probably unique to see both teams at Molineux in a Championship passing it our from the keeper rather than hoofing it.

Doherty – I’ve never seen him play better, got up and down, kept the ball really well, always offered himself, I can’t remember him giving the ball away, had a goal (rightly but narrowly) disallowed and if it wasn’t for Cav’s performance he’d have been MOTM, on this form we don’t need to worry about needing better.

Batth – Again, this is as good as I’ve seen him play for a very long time, extremely dominant in the air, strong in the tackle, and you could see him commanding and demanding from the players around him, great goal too. Unlucky when he smashed a great tackle on the half way line that the ref had given a foul for a challenge just earlier.

Coady – Good, in fact excellent distribution, seems to be the glue that makes the back 3 work, several important interceptions and blocks, though not largely troubled overall.

Miranda – Not at all convinced, for a supposed ball playing CB he doesn’t look that good on the ball, was hesitant and rash in the tackle, I think he will give away a lot of fouls, and as said he simply didn’t look that confident on the ball, was disappointed with him, and from the fact that Saiss came on for him, Nuno was too.

Vinagre – Love this guy, so much energy, great technique, really good delivery, to think he has played just 4 or 5 senior games! If this guy is “backup” we have nothing to worry about down the left this season, as long as we can keep such a young player fresh. Unlucky with the penalty, as there is no way that is an intentional hand ball, but his hand was in an unnatural position, and that is why it was deemed to be a penalty.

N’Diaye – Very impressive, got up and down superbly, was effective in both boxes, whether laying on Vinagre who set up Bonatini for the first goal, or making last ditch headed clearances in our box, he was everywhere! Not just a clogger either, played several very nice balls to Doherty (most notably) and seemed to fit in well with the type of football we play. I really hope he can sustain this high energy performance, as was constantly making interceptions and tackles and as said it was surprising to see how attacking he was too, with a handful of excellent powerful forward runs.

Neves – Disappointing, whilst he wasn’t “bad” he wasn’t as effective as I expected to be, he kept the ball, made a couple of good tackles, but there were no wow moments as such, hopefully just a bit of an off day – or perhaps the weather DID effect him afterall.

Jota – Again, I love this guy, such a high energy performance, harrying, hassling, niggling away at everyone within 10-15 yards of him, his attitude is superb, and when he does have the ball he looks so confident, it is so refreshing to see Wolves players so comfortable on the ball, so willing to run at opponents, on their left, their right or he’d just pop it through their legs. His technique is superb, a fantastic touch that enabled him to lash a looping volley in the first half, and many other notable times where he just plucks out of the air when it looks like the ball is at too awkward a height. Slight criticisms are that he should have scored when he hit the bar, and a couple of times he waited for it to come to him in the 6 yard box, rather than gambling (although his goal actually came from that).

Bonatini – Slow, cumbersome, but I think he is important to how we play, whilst I wasn’t overly impressed with him, I feel that we need someone of his type to enable us to play the way we want too, he is a focal point and also someone who will be consistently in the areas he needs to be to pop the ball in, as proven by 2 of his 3 goals being practically the same.

Cav – MOTM comfortably, a pity he had clearly tired, as I think had he stayed on we may well have gone on to win the game, he was fast, direct and inventive, perhaps took 1 touch too many when he rounded the keeper, but that aside pretty much everything he did was spot on, he linked well with Doherty and Leo, and also with Alfred, and gave their left back one hell of a roasting. He is going to be a vastly important player for us this season, particularly I think away from home.

Subs

Bright – Tried, but ultimately failed to keep up the momentum on the right side that Cav had given us, one touch too many a couple of times, lead to me being frustrated.

Saiss – We looked far, far more comfortable when he replaced Miranda, Saiss got a lot of the ball and used it well, he also completed his defensive duties with far more confidence and ease than Miranda too IMO, if N’Diaye is perhaps a better foil for Neves, then we can have no concerns about Saiss playing as one of the CBs until Boly is back instead of Miranda.

Marshall – Great corner for Batth’s goal, and some nice passing, he looks so slow when carrying the ball though, a different kind of player to Cav, Jota etc, and one that will be important throughout the season.

Ref – When the penalty was given I thought it was a ridiculous decision, having seen it since he got it right. The two other notable decisions were when he waved away a penalty claim for a foul on Batth. For me Batth fouled their defender, their CB headed it, and then Batth crashed into him, I’ve also seen some moaning about him giving a foul by Batth on the half way line, he didn’t give a foul for that, he gave it for a foul just moments earlier. Overall he got the key decisions right, though his insistence on not having “proper” drop balls was annoying, this kicking back to the opponents malarkey is wet!

Right in front of me, the lad definitely went with his elbow.

He won the ball cleanly and then took Batth. Never a penalty.

I've tagged you into a replay on Twitter - have a look.

Back