• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 3 - Bristol 3 the more excitement in one game than the whole of last season ve

Doherty's link-ups and general forward play first half was great, can't deny that. However, he is a lazy git and if he continues to just slowly jog back when we lose the ball he'll get found out plenty of times this season. Really annoying. When the CM is forward as well and there's no cover it's HIS job to peg it back and help the RCB. Fat shit.

For CB spaces I think Batth will fight Miranda for one. Really like Miranda but he is looking to be a few notches below how good I thought he was. Seems a bit weak and often looks one step away from messing up/getting a yellow.

Bonatini is (was) ace IMO. Bit 50/50 on him last night aren't we...

Ref – When the penalty was given I thought it was a ridiculous decision, having seen it since he got it right.

Looks like it hit his right hand side to me.
The left arm was extended out and you would think that was what the ref must have seen.......the extended left arm touching the ball.
But the linesman (with the clear view) didnt give the penalty!.........strange

Don't think that Batth incident is a penalty either, looking at that video on Twitter Batth doesn't even really challenge for the ball and he just comes steaming in underneath the ball and the two players come together as the Bristol lad jumps for the header.

If anything it's probably more of a foul by Batth.

My ratings for what it was worth:

Ruddy - Maybe at fault for the first goal where his punch was weak but generally came for crosses and looked like a bald version of Neuer with his sweeper keeper style. A massive upgrade at 'keeper. Very little he could do with the goals as a rule. 7

Batth - Only reverted to hoofing the ball twice and got a bollocking for it both times. Cracking headed equaliser and a threat in the box every time. Superb tackling and his distribution when not under pressure was generally sound. Looks a vast improvement on last season. His feet aren't fast enough and his brain is still poor under pressure but with more games I think he might be the Danny Batth we expected him to be. 7

Coady - Organises, wins tackles and his general distribution is very good (a couple of wayward passes aside). His sweeping up needs work and he needs to be the player taking responsibility for the ball over the other centre backs head, too often he let the City forward drift into the gap. That will come with experience but he's another who has massively improved. 6

Miranda - A proper centre half, heads, kicks and can even carry the ball forwards. Unlucky to be subbed and we were noticably weaker as a defensive unit when he went off. 7

Doherty - we saw everything from Doherty tonight, good and bad, some brilliant link up play coupled with some downright awful defending against Leko in particular. Not helped by Batth giving him some poor balls and generally not being available on the right angles. But his link up play with Cav, Neves, Leo and Jota was exceptional. 8

Vinagre - he's clearly got bags of talent and the run and through ball for Cav was sublime. Needs to work on his defending more but that's just his youth and will come. Distribution was very good on the whole and teamed up with Jota very well. N'Daiye wasn't on the same wavelength in the first half but much better in the second. 7

Neves - A solid game that showed the class of the man but alas his one mistake is what he will be remembered for here. Was tough in the challenge and linked the ball so well with pace and precision almost every time. The ball winning side of his game was very good but I felt he struggled a bit next to N'Daiye and the two had more than a few misunderstandings but that's probably down to N'Daiye not being up to speed as yet. 7

N'Daiye - Good passer and a proper box to box midfielder. Looked totally lost for the first 10 minutes and often at odds with his teammates as he just wasn't in sync for little sections of the game. Has fantastic ability on the ball and is deceptively mobile for a big unit. Good at reading the game on the whole and it was noticeable in the second half where he would move out to the left to help Vinagre out in the air from Bristol goal kicks. Had a couple of brain fades where he switched off when Baker had the ball but I think that's about getting up to speed. Tremendous run beyond the back line to cut the ball back to Vinagre. 8

Jota - He's way to good for this league, got his scruffy goal and could have had two absolute belters but for the City 'keeper and crossbar. Plays well with the ball in front of him as well as back to goal. I like his off the ball and third person running as he sees the game one pass ahead of most. Some of his diagonal runs off the ball were brilliant and he really isn't afraid to leave his foot on people either. Seems to be linking up better with Cav and Leo now and I think he'll be our POTS. 8

Cav - What a difference this man makes, like Jota his off the ball running and third person running was exception, has tricks and techniques that a lot of Prem players don't and his end product is coming along. If only he had taken his 1v1.. Nuno likes talking to him from the sidelines too and when Cav pulled a little bit wider in the second half he had City in all sorts of trouble with his running and crossing. MotM 9

Bonatini - Took his tap in well and could've had 3 more too and I would say the one criticism I have is that he needs to make the keeper work more often with the chances he has. Is a true striker and always found himself in the right place at the right time and his link play, winning the ball back high up the pitch and vision were top class. 8

Subs:

Bright - so much talent and I hope his decision making comes good as City were scared to death of him running at them with the ball.
Saiss - baffled by his introduction and whilst he played well and got forward more than Miranda he didn't have an effect on the game from his more central role. Looks a top class player but not in a back 3.
Marshall - busy and much better playing behind the striker where he can flit around feeding little balls in to players or trying to spank shots in with either foot.

A thoroughly enjoyable game and but for some rank individual errors in defending we would have won comfortably. Our attacking play is a joy to watch.

He won the ball cleanly and then took Batth. Never a penalty.

I've tagged you into a replay on Twitter - have a look.

I've seen it and I still think it's a pen.

Wright leads with his arm and yes he does win the ball and he does clear Batth out but the referees problem here is consistency. He'd already given a free kick for a tackle that won the ball but cleared a player out which led directly to their penalty. You can't give one without the other and it doesn't matter where it is on the pitch.

Did anyone see the guy at the front of the South Bank at the end of the match squaring up to a group of stewards. He was going absolutely ape shit. Wondered what it was all about?

Wright leads with his arm and yes he does win the ball and he does clear Batth out but the referees problem here is consistency. He'd already given a free kick for a tackle that won the ball but cleared a player out which led directly to their penalty. You can't give one without the other and it doesn't matter where it is on the pitch.

I don't think you can compare it to a tackle, it's not like Batth was in control of the ball at any point. Personally I think the City player is winning that ball everytime and Batth has got no chance so he shouldn't commit to it, he doesn't even really challenge he just runs in under the ball.

I don't think you can compare it to a tackle, it's not like Batth was in control of the ball at any point. Personally I think the City player is winning that ball everytime and Batth has got no chance so he shouldn't commit to it, he doesn't even really challenge he just runs in under the ball.

No idea what you're watching Mark and don't agree with any of what you've said.

No idea what you're watching Mark and don't agree with any of what you've said.

I watched the video clip on Twitter that Penk referred to earlier, I'll try and link it when I find it again.

Shows the defender going up for a header with I think Bonatini, winning it but getting no distance on it so then he goes up again to complete the clearance. It's at this point that Batth comes charging in and makes contact with the player but never even gets off the ground so in my eyes it's difficult to argue that he's even challenging for the ball let alone the man being fouled.

So coming back to your comparison to a player getting wiped out in a tackle, I'd view the Bristol player as the one being in possession as he'd won the previous header and was looking to complete his clearance, Batth then comes in late and makes no real challenge for the ball but cleans the Bristol player out.

Can't remember the last time I've seen a Wolves side control a game as much as we did in the first 30 minutes yesterday. It was Wolves playing all the football, and we should have been more than one up in that 30 minutes. It was a joy to watch.

Overall thoughts are that going forward we look very, very good. We created a lot of chances and opportunities for chances (a lot of balls fired across the six yard box) On another day we could have had 5 or 6. We need to work on the defensive side of things though, two goals came from corners and not clearing our lines - especially for the first goal.

Vinagre looks a very good prospect at LWB, Doherty played the best I've seen him, and Batth looked solid at the back all game. Thought N'Diaye was very impressive, Neves a little quiet. Cav and Jota were very good, although Cav looked fucked just before he came off. I'm another in the pro-Bonatini camp, thought he was excellent at collecting the ball and linking the play, and seems to have the ability to know where to be in the box for knockdowns and rebounds. Only thing that annoyed me was that there were a couple of occasions where he didn't challenge for a ball played forward, and would either leave it for centre-half to clear or try and anticipate where the ball would go.

On the whole a very good game of football. It's nice to see us have a plan of what we are trying to do on the pitch, just need to work more on defensive side of things.

Nice to have a pre-match pint with DW, Kenny & Lycan yesterday, and put a couple of faces to names.

Committed header from the centre half but the follow through wipes Batth. certainly seen them given, not a stonewall though.

agreed and on those lines he should have given us a pen

I watched the video clip on Twitter that Penk referred to earlier, I'll try and link it when I find it again.

Shows the defender going up for a header with I think Bonatini, winning it but getting no distance on it so then he goes up again to complete the clearance. It's at this point that Batth comes charging in and makes contact with the player but never even gets off the ground so in my eyes it's difficult to argue that he's even challenging for the ball let alone the man being fouled.

So coming back to your comparison to a player getting wiped out in a tackle, I'd view the Bristol player as the one being in possession as he'd won the previous header and was looking to complete his clearance, Batth then comes in late and makes no real challenge for the ball but cleans the Bristol player out.

I understand you are looking at a clip from the south bank. My own particular view was from the Steve Bull so a side on view and I don't agree with what you have written at any point.

Have you seen the Batth tackle that led directly to their penalty?

Have you seen the Batth tackle that led directly to their penalty?

Apparantly the free kick wasn't given for what Batth did but something that happened a few seconds before it (no idea what though)

He won the ball cleanly and then took Batth. Never a penalty.

I've tagged you into a replay on Twitter - have a look.

Under the laws now it's a pen, he may have headed the ball, but in doing so went through Batth.
Jumping into an opponent, is actually covered in the laws, and thats exactly what he did.

Impressed with what I saw of Bonatini last night in his general play, however his finishing is poor, it's funny how people will allow him to miss chances, yet others that missed harder chances are slated.

against Millwall he should have had more than one, and again from what I have seen he should have had a hat trick last night.

Whilst I really appreciate some of his link play, a striker up front on his own needs to score more, having a link player alongside a 25 goal a season striker is ok, See Seb, and Keogh, having a link player on his own who is not a good finisher does not.

I'm with Alan on this one

Apparantly the free kick wasn't given for what Batth did but something that happened a few seconds before it (no idea what though)

Really? That's just bizarre. A bit like the Jota booking and the ref's performance in the 2nd half.

having a link player on his own

Is the exact job he is there for. We don' play 4-4-2..his main job is to bring Jota, Cav or whoever into play and he does that.

On his chances last night

1) Couldn't miss - but perfect position to score it
2) Should have hit the target and tested the keeper. Not a clear cut chance and similar to one he had v Millwall and the keeper made a good save
3) Came to him at pace, not as easy as it looked.

If Leo continues to score at the rate he is he will be getting 15 easily and creating a crap load more

Didn't go last night but just seen the highlights, as well as the challenge on Batth.

Their penalty: are we seriously suggesting if that was us and it's not given that we wouldn't be screaming blue murder? Sure, it's at point blank range but Vinagre's arms aren't at a natural angle. I'd have been screaming for a penalty if that was in their box.

The Batth challenge: when I see it on it's own (and I appreciate I'm only viewing it from the south bank angle - but the ref only gets 1 angle too, of course...), I can see why it's not given. The defender clears the ball and isn't looking at Batth. However, is that not seen as dangerous play? Hand on heart, I'd have DEFINITELY been calling for it to be given, but again, if that was the other way round, I'd be applauding our defender for going in strongly!

So on both these incidents, I can certainly see why the ref gave one but not the other. Can't obviously comment on the rest of his performance though as I wasn't there.

Doherty's link-ups and general forward play first half was great, can't deny that. However, he is a lazy git and if he continues to just slowly jog back when we lose the ball he'll get found out plenty of times this season. Really annoying. When the CM is forward as well and there's no cover it's HIS job to peg it back and help the RCB. Fat shit.

For CB spaces I think Batth will fight Miranda for one. Really like Miranda but he is looking to be a few notches below how good I thought he was. Seems a bit weak and often looks one step away from messing up/getting a yellow.

Bonatini is (was) ace IMO. Bit 50/50 on him last night aren't we...

I am with you here Mark. No pen.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

That was my take on it, free kick was taken 5 or 6 yards from where Batth challenged and the ref made a point of erm pointing that out.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Back