• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 3 - Bristol 3 the more excitement in one game than the whole of last season ve

I know its a game of opinions and all that but I am totally shocked anyone could think Bonatini was poor against Bristol. There are those players that are never appreciated and Bonatini will be one of them to an extent so will Neves (shocking to say but its true) people seem to be obsessed with pace, dribbling and the more dynamic side of the game but you need balance, players like Bonatini and Neves will selflessly do the work to allow others to do that.

Linking play isn't just about being some big brute that can hold others off then tap it 2 yards or win a flick on header, its about being smart and picking the right time to put the ball through, the ball to Doc is a good example of patience on the one hand then fast reactions and touch to set up one of the many the Jota chances, but there were so many other times he did that. He also won the ball and read the passes so many times, it makes the back line have to think knowing someone can do that.

I am delighted with Leo so far, I really hope the fans can appreciate what he does, hes so clever and without him or someone like that we won't be the same.

21 shots, 6 on target, according to BBC Sport. After showing Swansea v Newcastle on Sky at the weekend, there was a discussion about shots-on-target in the PL, and stats. were shown with Swansea the worst side with an average of 6 per game and it was generally agreed that if that were to continue it would be 'relegation form'. We have not been much better and need to be more accurate with our goal efforts or we are going to drop vital points.

We are a far better side this season so far, than we have been for years. However, our frailties were there for all to see on Tuesday.
We have to improve our zonal defending esp. at set pieces, luckily Bristol were just as bad, and we have to put more of our chances away.

The discussion about Bonatini has been interesting and my opinion, FWIW, is that he is a quality player who is poor in the air and is not clinical enough. His scoring has been 'poachers' goals so far and whether that will improve as time goes on is speculative.

Spurs had 15 shots with 6 on target and won 3-0 at Everton. Brighton did exactly the same and won at home against West Brom 3-1. Chelsea won 2-1 away with 6 shots on target. Stoke had 5 and Man Utd 8 in a 2-2 draw. (BBC stats)

Stats are shit without context.

I dont think there's much of a difference between being at the ground/watching on WolvesTV. Just a difference of opinions.

I watched the game live at the ground Tuesday from the Billy Wright then watched the game again on Wolves TV, pretty much the same view and angle. Did confirm my views on most events like Danny Batth being taken out while I missed the Vinegre hand ball when watching live. I think from the side we dont get to see how good or bad the zonal marking is but do appreciate Leo Bonatini more by watching him in the flesh.

I love how his little legs are going but he barely moves :). Puts the effort in though.

Spurs had 15 shots with 6 on target and won 3-0 at Everton. Brighton did exactly the same and won at home against West Brom 3-1. Chelsea won 2-1 away with 6 shots on target. Stoke had 5 and Man Utd 8 in a 2-2 draw. (BBC stats)

Stats are shit without context.

This is why expected goals is a really useful tool really. As you say, pure stats like 'shots on targets' mean little without context. xG attempts to offer an insight on the quality of the chance, the quality of the pass for the shot, the quality of the finishing etc. It's not perfect but it's definitely an improvement on the Charles Reep/Hughes days of if you have X amount of shots you will win thegame.

This is why expected goals is a really useful tool really. As you say, pure stats like 'shots on targets' mean little without context. xG attempts to offer an insight on the quality of the chance, the quality of the pass for the shot, the quality of the finishing etc. It's not perfect but it's definitely an improvement on the Charles Reep/Hughes days of if you have X amount of shots you will win thegame.

I don't disagree with that if xG were an actual marker for the outcome. At the moment I'm not sure it is and it may be that it just needs a tweak to the maths.

Stats are $#@! without context.

That's why I gave it some context with the last sentence of my first paragraph. We need to be more accurate.

That's why I gave it some context with the last sentence of my first paragraph. We need to be more accurate.

More accurate than other scoring 3 with the same amount of shots on target?

I know its a game of opinions and all that but I am totally shocked anyone could think Bonatini was poor against Bristol. There are those players that are never appreciated and Bonatini will be one of them to an extent so will Neves (shocking to say but its true) people seem to be obsessed with pace, dribbling and the more dynamic side of the game but you need balance, players like Bonatini and Neves will selflessly do the work to allow others to do that.

Linking play isn't just about being some big brute that can hold others off then tap it 2 yards or win a flick on header, its about being smart and picking the right time to put the ball through, the ball to Doc is a good example of patience on the one hand then fast reactions and touch to set up one of the many the Jota chances, but there were so many other times he did that. He also won the ball and read the passes so many times, it makes the back line have to think knowing someone can do that.

I am delighted with Leo so far, I really hope the fans can appreciate what he does, hes so clever and without him or someone like that we won't be the same.

spot on, though I'd add nothing wrong with pace and dribbling ability either, more that added to Leo's abilities would elevate him to someone outside our reach.

More accurate than other scoring 3 with the same amount of shots on target?

Perhaps if we have more shots on target we will score more goals. In the last match 3 goals was not enough to win. So more accuracy is required.

But that will very rarely be the case, won't it?

Perhaps if we have more shots on target we will score more goals. In the last match 3 goals was not enough to win. So more accuracy is required.

I would say better defending was required, rather than more accuracy.

I've probably seen the opposing keeper tested more in the last week than I did in the previous 18 months at Molineux

You'd think that after the last two seasons of what we have had to watch people would be a bit happier too with what we have seen so far!

You'd think that after the last two seasons of what we have had to watch people would be a bit happier too with what we have seen so far!

I'm very happy with what I've seen so far this season! Having said that, we can still improve; but I think the basic building blocks are in place and it just needs some more games for everyone to get used to our style and the way other players behave during a match. Hopefully sharpness will improve, and also chance-taking. When this happens and we just tighten up a little at the back, I really don't see why we can't be making a concerted effort to get into the automatic places this season. Come on you Wolves! :)

I'm very happy with what I've seen so far this season! Having said that, we can still improve; but I think the basic building blocks are in place and it just needs some more games for everyone to get used to our style and the way other players behave during a match. Hopefully sharpness will improve, and also chance-taking. When this happens and we just tighten up a little at the back, I really don't see why we can't be making a concerted effort to get into the automatic places this season. Come on you Wolves! :)

+1. Agree with this.

Couldn't be more happier, can only see positives with the season so far.

You are confusing shots on target with goals as not all shots on target will equal goals. You could have 100% shots on target and all of them from 20 yards and scuffed at 2mph to the 'keeper. None will go in but counts as a shot on target. Chance conversion is a hard statistic to count as each chance will be individual. This is why stats are useless without context as the moron pundits on SKY consistently prove. I don't disagree that we should be aiming to get a higher accuracy rate but that isn't the reason we did not win.

We didn't win because we were soft in defence. Just because I'm sad the number of teams that scored 3 and lost at this weeks fixtures (mid-week) across European cups and English leagues (85 games) were 0 with only Wolves and Bristol City not winning. 33 teams scored 3 or more goals.

You could have 100% shots on target and all of them from 20 yards and scuffed at 2mph to the 'keeper. None will go in.

I challenge that argument with this - Mr A Lonergan.

Seems to me that shot position is already tracked and shot velocity likely would not be difficult to keep up with.

Don't they have microchips in the ball?

Back