• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-3 West Brom: Verdict Thread

But it wasn't outside the box, it was on the line which counts as inside...
It was outside but they will say it was not far enough our side.
2nd was no contact but not enough to overturn.
Then handball by gibbs-white followed by shurt pull on Boly

I thought I'd give it a few hours before posting my thoughts.
Firstly let's get the BCD element out of the way. It was always a red herring in the current climate. The PR dept. can send Coady out to say the right things and Nuno can give the correct answers at a pre match press conference, but to the majority of our extensively foreign side it means nothing. It's the 32k in the ground which would have made them know the importance, not some internal briefing. I know it upsets some, but beyond some PR noise to them it's just another game.

All that said it makes elements of the performance more concerning. This wasn't a BCD where we on paper have the better side, but the atmosphere and occasion becomes a leveller and Darren Bradley or Kevin Donovan score a screamer to beat us. It's a game where we played at best the second worst side in the league and again didn't work the keeper enough despite some good situations and conceded 3 piss poor goals. Allardyce after the game said they knew we were weak on defending set pieces and looked to take advantage of that, we know it and pick a side accordingly yet still concede 2 penalties and from a long throw. Nuno has to shoulder responsibility for elements of the performance, but it's difficult to coach players making basic errors when on paper they are better than that. I thought both penalties were soft, but were, just as I thought we should have had one from the Gibbs handball. Two hands together like that isn't a natural position.

Offensively there doesn't seem much more depth tactically beyond give it to Adama and Neto and hope they can do something. I thought both did OK Neto in particular got in some decent balls, but both also cut frustrated figures. You can double up on both if you don't feel threatened down the middle

As I said after the game Nuno looks lost, although unlike others I didn't really have an issue with any of the subs. Neves looked like he had a knock, Coady looks vulnerable in a 4, Cutrone was a bit of a shove another forward move on without much thought to formation, but he's always done that when chasing a game.

We all know how Covid is affecting him, but I think the stupid goals are killing him as much - he really needs to sort his body language out though. It's weak leadership irrespective of how he feels.

Fabio was having his best game even before his goal, tailed off a bit in the second half, touch and link up play was really good, shame he's not got a yard of pace, but neither has Kane. The dive was embarrassing though and adds to quite a catalogue this season for us as a team. Compare what we do to Robinson for their second penalty. He made sure there was contact, we don't seem to be able to do that. All forwards dive these days, we do it badly.

I don't believe we are in a relegation battle at the moment, but I wouldn't discount one. We look mentally weak from the manager downwards and if Nuno has the solutions then they bloody well need to appear in the next month.

Firstly let's get the BCD element out of the way. It was always a red herring in the current climate. The PR dept. can send Coady out to say the right things and Nuno can give the correct answers at a pre match press conference, but to the majority of our extensively foreign side it means nothing. It's the 32k in the ground which would have made them know the importance, not some internal briefing. I know it upsets some, but beyond some PR noise to them it's just another game.

All that said it makes elements of the performance more concerning. This wasn't a BCD where we on paper have the better side, but the atmosphere and occasion becomes a leveller and Darren Bradley or Kevin Donovan score a screamer to beat us. It's a game where we played at best the second worst side in the league and again didn't work the keeper enough despite some good situations and conceded 3 piss poor goals. Allardyce after the game said they knew we were weak on defending set pieces and looked to take advantage of that, we know it and pick a side accordingly yet still concede 2 penalties and from a long throw. Nuno has to shoulder responsibility for elements of the performance, but it's difficult to coach players making basic errors when on paper they are better than that. I thought both penalties were soft, but were, just as I thought we should have had one from the Gibbs handball. Two hands together like that isn't a natural position.

Offensively there doesn't seem much more depth tactically beyond give it to Adama and Neto and hope they can do something. I thought both did OK Neto in particular got in some decent balls, but both also cut frustrated figures. You can double up on both if you don't feel threatened down the middle

As I said after the game Nuno looks lost, although unlike others I didn't really have an issue with any of the subs. Neves looked like he had a knock, Coady looks vulnerable in a 4, Cutrone was a bit of a shove another forward move on without much thought to formation, but he's always done that when chasing a game.

We all know how Covid is affecting him, but I think the stupid goals are killing him as much - he really needs to sort his body language out though. It's weak leadership irrespective of how he feels.

Fabio was having his best game even before his goal, tailed off a bit in the second half, touch and link up play was really good, shame he's not got a yard of pace, but neither had Kane. The dive was embarrassing though and adds to quite a catalogue this season for us as a team. Compare what we do to Robinson for their second penalty. He made sure there was contact, we don't seem to be able to do that. All forwards dive these days, we do it badly.

I don't believe we are in a relegation battle at the moment, but I wouldn't discount one. We look mentally weak from the manager downwards and if Nuno has the solutions then they bloody well need to appear in the next month.
I think I agree with pretty much every word you’ve said (maybe not the relegation battle but, we’d have to lose the next five for me
To even consider that atm)

Fabio was having his best game even before his goal, tailed off a bit in the second half, touch and link up play was really good, shame he's not got a yard of pace, but neither had Kane. The dive was embarrassing though and adds to quite a catalogue this season for us as a team. Compare what we do to Robinson for their second penalty. He made sure there was contact, we don't seem to be able to do that. All forwards dive these days, we do it badly.

Spot on, and how many managers of the oppostion in their interviews have said the same thing recently. We cannot defend set pieces full stop, and the opposing teams will keep using them to beat us. It's been our downfall since Nuno won manager of the month.

On a corner he should be nearer the centre of his goal 😂
On a corner or freekick ball is flying faster and on freekicks you have a wall to set up..so hardly the same

Looking at the second penalty and struggling to see why anyone has any complaints. It’s clumsy from Coady and his pleas to the referee were just in desperation.
With the Gibbs hand ball I’m just confused how it wasn’t even checked. That said it happened when we were 0-1 down so can’t really blame that on the result.
Having said that very inconsistent stuff from Oliver to say the least.

Looking at the second penalty and struggling to see why anyone has any complaints. It’s clumsy from Coady and his pleas to the referee were just in desperation.
With the Gibbs hand ball I’m just confused how it wasn’t even checked. That said it happened when we were 0-1 down so can’t really blame that on the result.
I thought Coady deliberately didn’t make a challenge, but when Robinson was already on the way down, he dangled a leg and caught coadys shin

Thommo said on the commentary it was checked and they said no handball. They were obviously checking their lottery numbers and not the actual screen. Honestly, we are going to get fuck all off referee's since that Mason thing has gone down. Last 2 matches have been the same. Pickford back pass when he handled it. Not even checked. This game fouls that never even got checked, and that handball that for any other team is a stonewall penalty.

I thought Coady deliberately didn’t make a challenge, but when Robinson was already on the way down, he dangled a leg and caught coadys shin
Coady booted him on Robinson's back leg before he then took him down for good measure.

It was a cast iron pen

Interesting on twitter i saw a post saying BFS showed the albion players the 5-1 win in 2011 before the match. Maybe Nuno should have shown our lot the same match.

Thommo said on the commentary it was checked and they said no handball. They were obviously checking their lottery numbers and not the actual screen. Honestly, we are going to get fuck all off referee's since that Mason thing has gone down. Last 2 matches have been the same. Pickford back pass when he handled it. Not even checked. This game fouls that never even got checked, and that handball that for any other team is a stonewall penalty.
Don’t believe in conspiracy theories but it’s evident that refs always seem to have each other’s backs and a bit of a dog tannion attitude amongst themselves. Personified by Peter Walton who’s the most pointless addition I’ve ever seen just agrees with every decision the refs make.

VAR dont check passbacks, and the only time they check fouls outside the box is for red cards, and build ups to goals/penalties

Don’t believe in conspiracy theories but it’s evident that refs always seem to have each other’s backs and a bit of a dog tannion attitude amongst themselves. Personified by Peter Walton who’s the most pointless addition I’ve ever seen just agrees with every decision the refs make.
Yep. But there is no recourse to any of it, and it's going to hurt us all season. It needs an independent panel sitting on refs performance, but no chance of that happening.

VAR dont check passbacks, and the only time they check fouls outside the box is for red cards, and build ups to goals/penalties
Then the refs should do their job, but now they won't for us. Tin foil hat maybe, but watch for the rest of the season..

It’s the inconsistent use or interpretation, the not clear and obvious stuff does expose teams to suffer different outcomes to similar offences.
kilmans at Leicester and Gibbs today both clearly hit their hands but which was more blatant?

I'm still incredibly pissed off after this, it's not just because it's Albion either but a combination of a lot of things. Yes it's Albion and while i don't hate them it's a local derby and you always want to win them as a solitary game just little more but on top of that they are just such a poor side we should not be conceding 3 goals however that may be, we shouldn't be losing to them without a doubt but on top of that i think the effects of lockdown just hit a little bit. Home and away me and my dad go to pretty much every game together and no matter what the result we will talk about the game on the way home, whether that be from an emotional point of view or tactically and that can get rid of the adrenaline or the frustration but i can't even go and see him at the moment and talking to him about it over the phone just isn't anywhere near the same. It's all just a bit shit. Even posting on here doesn't help that much as it's so hard to have a proper discussion i find about the games but that's just me.

Anyway on to the game and i've said this numerous times really, it was just tiny margins but we've lost again. What i would add to that is that even if the margins were tiny we were pretty poor today. I think most on here can see that Nuno is struggling and it's really affecting him and us at the moment. He can't get the balance of the team right, whether that be the formation, the set up, the players, the approach and i think the mentality of the team is not where it needs to be right now. I feel this is definitely adding to the mistakes that the players are making, yes they have to take responsibility for them but the uncertainty in a team can do that to players. I sympathise with Nuno i really do but he's got to find a way of getting the best out of this team again as no matter what the situation that is his job. I don't think we will get dragged in to a relegation battle as we have players who will win us a game and we are scoring goals now but something needs to change pretty quickly.

There's serious issues for me at at the moment whether we play 343,352,433. Either we don't have the players to play the roles we need or it doesn't suit the players we need it to or Nuno just doesn't seem to be able to find the right balance of players (play them in the right position either) Just take today for example, Nuno had to try and get height in the team so i get Saiss playing but he is just so limited at left back it holds us back but then he doesn't want to drop Coady because of his leadership. Saiss playing there meant Neto stayed too wide for me and didn't get involved enough close to the goal when he's our biggest goal threat from open play. We've then got Dendoncker who i am a big fan of when he's on it but even when he is he should not be playing this role, making the odd run from deep maybe yes but he's basically playing as a second striker at times and it's just not his game. There's just so much more to go in to i feel but far too much at the moment.

Just shown the first pen on MOTD, definitely outside the box.

Fairdos, I’d rather poke my eyes out with a shitty stick than watch the highlights.

Back