• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-3 West Brom: Verdict Thread

I like to know that my indignation is justified (it's our own fault we lost though)

The pundits haven't analysed it yet (don't know if they will). I've just watched it again and it's not even particularly close. Don't have a clue what Coote was looking at, there's a weird fast forward replay and then it's given.

It isn't in the box.

I’ll watch it later - I’m interested if they call it out in the analysis afterwards.

They don't.

I mean if you squint and you really want to give Albion a penalty then maybe. But to anyone normal, no.

Just shown the first pen on MOTD, definitely outside the box.
Not looked at it since but the first replay on BT showed it outside the box. The only contentious part is does Boly catch him before he hits the foot that is planted outside the area.

What I don’t understand is that the var review didn’t show any close up of it.

I got pelters both in the match day thread and this one for the comments I made at half time, I stand by what I said that it wasn’t our worst performance under Nuno and that we weren’t shit. We created chances, Traore had them on toast, they were given a contentious penalty and we could/should have had one. They had chances and we were by no means great but Huddersfield at home anyone?

1st pen definitely outside the area and no discussion on Gibbs catching the ball and handing it to Button either. (I am exaggerating, slightly)

Still not forgiven Walton for his debacle of performance when we played Chelsea in 2012.

What I don’t understand is that the var review didn’t show any close up of it.

I got pelters both in the match day thread and this one for the comments I made at half time, I stand by what I said that it wasn’t our worst performance under Nuno and that we weren’t shit. We created chances, Traore had them on toast, they were given a contentious penalty and we could/should have had one. They had chances and we were by no means great but Huddersfield at home anyone?
Forest home, Sunderland away, Cardiff away (PL), Huddersfield (either game), Chelsea home last season, West Ham and/or Burnley this season, anyone who watched those and thinks we looked worse today needs to find a new hobby. Talking wank.

We were not good, we should not have lost.

On the balance of play we probably shouldn't have lost but how many times are we going to keep saying that? It's not like we are unlucky to lose these games it's because we keep shooting ourselves in the foot defensively and we haven't got many goals in us which is a horrific combination.

I know people keep saying we aren't in a relegation battle because of how many points we are away from the bottom 3 but I think we absolutely are, 1 win in 9, confidence shot to bits and some nasty fixtures coming up.

Agree with that DW. Anybody who went to Huddersfield will know how bad we were that night, a game i will never forget for all the wrong reasons against one of the worst Premier League teams ever. We all knew what was coming that night.

Back to today for one moment, there was one real bright spark for me and it's the only thing i can hold on to and that is Fabio is gonna be some striker as long as he keeps his head on his shoulders. His movement is so good, just seen Ian Wright did a little package about it on MOTD and it just shows how good it is. If Nuno can get us set up right he could really start to thrive even this season. His goal today too, the fact that he tried to chest the Saiss cross down first but then the shrug off and finish were sublime. It's a shame that not everyone can see this, i actually feel sorry for anyone who can't see how much potential he has or even how good he is now.

It’s a Derby defeat at home which will always irk a lot of people which is understandable also makes things seem a lot worse.
Not suggesting it was acceptable today it wasn’t but I agree with DW the West Ham and 2 Huddersfield debacles and Burnley were poorer performances.

Agree with that DW. Anybody who went to Huddersfield will know how bad we were that night, a game i will never forget for all the wrong reasons against one of the worst Premier League teams ever. We all knew what was coming that night.

Back to today for one moment, there was one real bright spark for me and it's the only thing i can hold on to and that is Fabio is gonna be some striker as long as he keeps his head on his shoulders. His movement is so good, just seen Ian Wright did a little package about it on MOTD and it just shows how good it is. If Nuno can get us set up right he could really start to thrive even this season. His goal today too, the fact that he tried to chest the Saiss cross down first but then the shrug off and finish were sublime. It's a shame that not everyone can see this, i actually feel sorry for anyone who can't see how much potential he has or even how good he is now.
You can see he's going to be good on the ground. But a striker needs to be able to head the ball, and Fabio can not head it to save his life right now. Neto again today turned away in frustration as his perfect cross was spunked by Fabio. Yes, he's going to be good, but we need more right now. I wouldn't be bothered so much defensively if we could outscore our opponents. Fucking no chance of that!

I've only seen the highlights, so I could be missing something. When I first saw that Oliver was the referee and Coote was on VAR, I was filled with apprehension about this match. Why? Because Oliver has now become the referee who gives penalties for all sorts of soft collisions and Coote will never overturn one of the reputed top referees when he is acting as VAR. Sadly, my apprehension became prophetic. Both penalties were very soft, the first one being a collision outside the box which Coote as VAR should have overturned. The second one was a piece of masterful deception by the Albion striker when he dangled a leg to make it look like Coady had tripped him. We should not be surprised. Oliver is the referee who gave a yellow to Adama for diving when he had been blatantly tripped. So my conclusion is that Wolves didn't play as badly as many of the posters have suggested. Yes, they could have played better and will need to soon if we are to remain competitive in the PL. But, essentially, we were defeated by a referee and VAR whose performances left a great deal to be desired, underlying my contention that we really don't have any world-class referees in the PL today. So let's not indulge the negativity, let's get on with it, and hope the refereeing standards improve in our future games and that the Wolves players can break out of their current slump. I believe they can, as I also do about Nuno and his ability to inspire them.

I've only seen the highlights, so I could be missing something. When I first saw that Oliver was the referee and Coote was on VAR, I was filled with apprehension about this match. Why? Because Oliver has now become the referee who gives penalties for all sorts of soft collisions and Coote will never overturn one of the reputed top referees when he is acting as VAR. Sadly, my apprehension became prophetic. Both penalties were very soft, the first one being a collision outside the box which Coote as VAR should have overturned. The second one was a piece of masterful deception by the Albion striker when he dangled a leg to make it look like Coady had tripped him. We should not be surprised. Oliver is the referee who gave a yellow to Adama for diving when he had been blatantly tripped. So my conclusion is that Wolves didn't play as badly as many of the posters have suggested. Yes, they could have played better and will need to soon if we are to remain competitive in the PL. But, essentially, we were defeated by a referee and VAR whose performances left a great deal to be desired, underlying my contention that we really don't have any world-class referees in the PL today. So let's not indulge the negativity, let's get on with it, and hope the refereeing standards improve in our future games and that the Wolves players can break out of their current slump. I believe they can, as I also do about Nuno and his ability to inspire them.
It not just referees and VAR are bad. I believe they are actually targeting us because of what Nuno said about Lee Mason. I doubt anyone will be able to prove it, but as i said in another post watch the rest of the games this season and see if we get a fair decision from any ref or VAR.

Fabio is the hope from today - I thought he played really well even apart from the goal, might be he’s getting a bit more used to the level.

You can see he's going to be good on the ground. But a striker needs to be able to head the ball, and Fabio can not head it to save his life right now. Neto again today turned away in frustration as his perfect cross was spunked by Fabio. Yes, he's going to be good, but we need more right now. I wouldn't be bothered so much defensively if we could outscore our opponents. Fucking no chance of that!
He's not the best in the air at the moment i will give you that but if anyone watched that game today especially the first half and the first 5 minutes of the second half and thinks he and a striker are our biggest worries then it's time to give up. He's scored a top quality goal, he battled, held the ball up well, linked play up when we actually gave him the ball. He's not Raul and he's not ready to start every game and play 90 minutes yet but we've got bigger worries than that on today's performance.

Nuno sorts the system out, basically the centre backs and the midfield and i think no one is saying Fabio is not what we need right now. He did his job today. I keep seeing how we're struggling without Raul etc and obviously we are missing him, he has turned himself into an elite striker but he's not going to stop us giving away shite penalties like Semedo, Coady and Moutinho have recently. He's not suddenly going to make Nuno realise that he's not setting us up to defend set pieces correctly (every team in the league has spotted this by the way) He's not the reason Nuno constantly sets us up without a midfielder that properly screens the centre backs now we've moved to a more open style and stops the pass into Robinson for the 2nd penalty or stops Iwobi's run against Everton because they know where the danger is.

Fabio is young and as i've said over the last few days isn't ready to be our first choice striker yet although i have no problem with him playing regularly but we have far bigger issues that are being missed because everyone is obsessed with us missing Raul and Fabio missing a few chances which Raul often did too. It's not so bad though when you're rock solid at the other end and no one remembers the misses then.

Fabio is the hope from today - I thought he played really well even apart from the goal, might be he’s getting a bit more used to the level.
He's just starting to see what is required. He's starting to realise he's going to have to use his body more against men, they're going to get up against him and test him and they're just much better players than he's being playing against. His biggest issue from what i can see is that he's not quite able to last 90 minutes. If we can get Podence back playing behind him as a 10, i think he could score 7 or 8 at least before the end of the season.

Back