• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2 - 1 QPR - Verdict Thread

13 points clear. Not too bad I suppose.

I'll just leave this here. Taken off a Wolves Facebook page I follow...

Ruddy cudnt save 50p if u gave him 50quid
The whole of that 2nd half came on cos he never commanded the ball off Douglas b4 the corner
Hes toss
He aint got 16 clean sheets its cos the team have defended the ball n kept it away from him

There's a hint of truth in the bit about the defense keeping the ball away from him, to be fair. Still a ridiculously negative comment.

I’m surprised we didn’t control the game in the second half after being 2 up but I guess the early goal for them changed things. Sounds like we could have put it to bed before it got nervy at the end but 3 more points and extended the gap, I’ll take it!

I thought the first goal was more Douglas at fault to give the corner away. Upgraded left back should be the first on our shopping back, Douglas takes a good free kick, but offers very little else, Doc puts his to shamd for effort, pace and ability to get forward.

There were a few dodgy moments not just from Ruddy, Alf gave the ball away several times in bad areas and Barry made a few goofs but we won and it should have been by 3 or 4 if we had our shooting boots on.

The first half was all Wolves and the fluid front 3 just tore them to bits Cav more often than not causing them problems.

Effort was bang on I will never get tired of watching the beauty of Ruben Neves in a Wolves shirt.

Not all our performances will be as polished as Sheff UTD but we got the job done.

A friend of mine who supports Derby said they should have lost today and were terrible so let's put things into perspective.

Boly was immense today and gets my MOTM.

What was the moaning at after the corner?
Ruddy ran up the field to remonstrate with the referee.
Yeah Ruddy dropped one ball again and slid one out for a corner needlessly but he also made 3 decent saves so it swings both ways.
Thought Jota looked totally knackered 2nd half and should have come off, he gave the ball away or ran into trouble a few times but of course can produce a moment of magic.(and that little shit Robinson should have had a yellow for a blatant push on Jota)

Afobe should have left the headed chance for Doherty who was in a better position behind him.

Regardless, we are fucking storming the league...let's just lap it up and swing our dicks in the wind till may[emoji3]

Today gets a big phew from me. Really pleased with the result even if QPR did probably deserve a point. Another of those teams I am always glad to see the back of. We can see the finish line and it's February, just for perspective.

As for the Ruddy comments. He made a couple of uncharacteristic errors today but is still miles better than anything we have had between the posts since Murray.

I'll just leave this here. Taken off a Wolves Facebook page I follow...

He posted that in two separate facebook groups!

Honestly, Wolves fans will find anything to moan about. Ruddy has had a brilliant season.

Some sublime football and some very sloppy football, particularly at the start of each half. Washington lead their line well and we didn't seem to know who was supposed to be picking him up.

Goal aside N'Diaye had a bit of a shocker caught dawdling on the ball on more than one occasion and getting run through when they had their spell of pressure. A few too many fancy flicks for Jota and Cav for me today, showboating a bit too early in the game and then continuing to do so when we were coming under pressure.

Special mention for Bennett, his tackle in the box when a second goal looked inevitable was magnificent.

Surely, though, if the defence is keeping the ball away from the goalkeeper they're doing their job? Unless that person is expecting us to have the English Neuer?

Brilliant result and over the 70 point treshold!

Their goal really shouldn't have been a corner from what I could see, it did come off Douglas but he was fouled before it bounced off his arse while he was lying on the floor. Having said that, we contrived to give QPR the onus in the second half after Costa should have made it 3-0 right after the restart when he was 1 on 1 but chose to play a terrible ball to Cav who was offside and would never reach it anyway. Up until 80 minutes we completely relinquished the second half when we should have been in for blood, gave QPR a goal and looked nervy. The last ten minutes we could have wrapped it up three times over but the final ball and finishing let us down. I was on my feet twice celebrating a goal the never came, it was that close.

Three points, Derby and Cardiff dropped points and who gives a fuck about Vile? It'll do.

And now mathematically we can't finish bottom of the league! Best they can manage is 70 points

After a poor start where we gave the ball away too easily we dominated the first half and scored but could have had 3 or 4. We then took our foot off the gas in the second half and lost a bit of concentration as shown by our lack of closing down the short corner which lead to their goal and could quite easily have conceded another and should have when they went through late on.

Ruddy - Couple of lazy moments when he dropped it and another when he let it go out for a corner but he made some great saves. The save just before Washington over head kicked it was outstanding and he made himself big at the end when they were through one one one, he also made a good save low to his right. Anyone who doesn't think he's an upgrade on Ikeme has gone batshit mental, yes he makes errors but they tend to be when it's really easy and don't cost us anything, when it comes down to making a big save or a big punch/catch he makes it.

Bennett/Coady/Boly - I think you can put the back 3 all as one today as they were pretty much as good as each other with all of them defending well and playing out well. They got caught out by Smith too a couple of times who i was surprised didn't start but generally were solid.

Doherty - Always an option and got forward well as usual, could have scored with one chance and probably would have had Afobe not headed wide. Improved so much and while he can be improved upon he will be a good back up in the Premier League at wing back.

Douglas - Good deliveries as usual and links well with Jota, Boly etc but doesn't get forward in open play as well as Doc does. Caught out a couple of times defensively too although i thought he was fouled for the corner which lead to their goal.

Neves - The lad is sublime. He play some super passes and is so good under pressure and is never afraid to put his foot in. Another game without a booking too.

N'Diaye - Started slowly and throughout the match took far too long on the ball and with that got caught on it at least 5 or 6 times. When he burst forward though he looked a much better player and popped up with the opener although it did look like it just hit him. Been great since Saiss got injured but still think Romain will get back in when fit.

Costa - Looking more like his old self and deserved a goal. Linking play excellently and i thought he was unlucky to come off as he was still a threat.

Cav - Excellent in the first half and had two assists to show for it and could have had more. His level dropped in the second half though and he was a little sloppy which does come in to his game now and again.

Jota - Super ball through for the second and had 3 or 4 decent chances but like Cav his level dropped in the second half and quite markedly i thought and he would have been one to come off but Nuno doesn't like to do it. A few loose touches and too many at times but as always he was a threat.

SUBS

Afobe - I actually thought he looked really good apart from when it came to finishing things off and you could see it got to him in the last 5 minutes. His touch when balls were played in to him when he came on was excellent and he made several quality runs that we could have scored from. Possibly should have done better with his header or left it to Doc behind him but he doesn't need to be so eager to score as shown by his first touch on the edge of the box when it got pulled back to him. Got a push in the back for his other chance.

MGW - This lad is going to be class. He looks so comfortable with these players and he's only 18. He should get more game time as the season ends and he will be an asset in the Premier League next year.

Their goal really shouldn't have been a corner from what I could see, it did come off Douglas but he was fouled before it bounced off his arse while he was lying on the floor. Having said that, we contrived to give QPR the onus in the second half after Costa should have made it 3-0 right after the restart when he was 1 on 1 but chose to play a terrible ball to Cav who was offside and would never reach it anyway. Up until 80 minutes we completely relinquished the second half when we should have been in for blood, gave QPR a goal and looked nervy. The last ten minutes we could have wrapped it up three times over but the final ball and finishing let us down. I was on my feet twice celebrating a goal the never came, it was that close.

Three points, Derby and Cardiff dropped points and who gives a fuck about Vile? It'll do.

Referee had his flag up as soon as Costa touched the ball so it was he who he gave offside. Cav would have reached it easily but gave up as he heard the whistle.

People are being ridiculously harsh on Ruddy, who has single handedly won us points at times this season. Players are sometimes allowed below par performances - its far from a common occurrence from him this season.

He's been very good this season, he's kept a daft amount of clean sheets, has only conceded 23 goals in 31 league games. We've 15 games left, he doesn't need replacing in those 15 games.

QPR played well 2nd half and created chances after getting back to 2-1 but even still with us being poor 2nd half we still created enough chances to seal it more comfortably. We still deserved the win because it easily could have been 4-0 at half time.
Moving into the home straight now if Derby averaged 2pts per game from now they’d only reach 88 points.

Back