• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-0 Southampton: Verdict Thread

The Bear

Euro 2012 PTG Champion
Staff member
Reaction score
Possibly our poorest performance of the season book-ended by two half decent 15 min spells. And ironically our biggest win of the season!

Off you go.

Rubbish game overall but the subs changed things with Cav's movement and link play and Traores pace and direct running some gaps finally appeared. Reminded me of a number of games last season where we weren't particularly good but remained patient and nicked a goal or 2.

MOTM - Moutinho (closely followed by Cav's smile)

We had a poor game but I disagreed with the commentator who was saying it was a great escape for us. We were still the better team overall IMO just didn't really click.

We have some very good options off the bench who can change a game. Similar to West Ham, a game that hung in the balance went our way. I don't think that's a fluke

Not at our best but I still think we looked fairly comfortable even when Southampton were having a good spell of possession.

Apart from the first 15/20 mins we seemed to be lacking a bit of a spark until Cav came on and we ended the game as well as we started it.

Delighted with the win. We have started the season really well and it still doesn't feel like we have quite hit top gear yet. If we can get it all to click then there is so much potential for us. It feels so weird just sitting back and enjoying the Premier League for a change.

Not really any standouts for me today so I'll give it to Coady.

No question we were the better side - just very sloppy going forward. Traore is a difference maker.

Not the best performance by any means, but job done. Lovely stuff.

Thought we were pretty poor on the whole. Luckily Saints were too.

Most of the game was pretty even but Cav really made the difference.

Winning when you aren't playing well etc...

MOTM Coady probably,

Cav coming on changed the entire pace and effort in the team, just like last year.

poor performance overall, but subs pulled it together to get the points.

Atwell really is a cheating cunt.

Good to see Cav back.

We struggled with pace and direct running through the middle.

We were certainly nowhere near our best, Attwell as usual at his fucking worst !!!
how can he let 3 yellow card tackles by the same player go unpunished in the first 20 minutes ????

Phew! We're not going to play that badly and come away with three points very often. That said, we were certainly the better of two poor sides. I'm surprised how even the stats were. (Watching through old gold coloured glasses I suppose.) Cédric had a good game for them, I thought. Moutinho MOTM by default, since he didn't do much wrong. Delighted for our two scorers, even though they proved Lawro right.

Jonny Otto is superb. MOTM today.

Bit of a grind but more than useful at times. Thought we won the ball excellently - it's an integral part of our play. Soton may have earned a point and to be fair marshalled our front three well. Jota very frustrating, just felt he was too deep at times. Magnificent run from Traore for the goal but cool finishing at the end. Bennett again immaculate but the team superbly organised off the ball

MoM Otto

I thought today was Jonny's worst game :) lost the ball a lot in the first half and simple passes went astray - not that he was the only one.

Raul motm for me, he never gives up. The front 3 of adama, Raul and Cav looked great.

our hold up play by the front 3 was quite poor today for most of the match. Jota seems to repeatedly run into dead ends - he's finding Premier defenders a far cry from those he encountered in the Championship.

Raul’s worst game for me. His first touch was very poor, which caused us to lose the ball a lot. None of the front three played well.

Thought we were excellent for the first 20 and the last 10, but in between pretty poor by our own usual standards.

Thought both our wingbacks played well with Jonny edging it for MOTM.

Neves the better of the two centre midfielders.

Traore is pretty shit, but has that one occasion that will give you a goal. Should never start a game.

Cav looked good when he came on.

Good result but not a great performance. Traore was pretty rank.

I did have my first Molipoo, so there's that.

Back